Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My Typhoon H won’t land

There is something wrong with the barometer/accelerometer hardware. Does not appear to be catastrophic, H does come down VERY slowly. Unnerving though. Mine was replaced, new one is fine so far. Height readings still erratic, but it comes down fine. Haven't done much testing though, only 3 flights so far

I found out why my H was acting up. After looking at the telemetry data from the time of the problem, it appears the battery took a sudden dip from 4.3v to 3.2v very briefly. I only got one low battery warning and that is when I decided to descend and land, as I usually do. The voltage shot up to 4.2 a second after the sudden drop. The second warning happened during the hard landing. I flew it again last night for several minutes with the same battery with no problems at all. Bad connection? I haven't been able to duplicate it. I'll put a few more batteries through it this week and see if it's still ok.

I do not think this is barometer related.
If it was you would never be able to fly lower than your take off point. I have flown down a hill so I was a good 70 feet lower than where I took off from.
I am curious if you take her up to about 100 feet and then try a descend to land, does it come down to about10 feet or so and then stop descending?

I have had the this Typhoon since the first few days of being released. It perform flawlessly for the first few months. The only problem that had ever occurred after the first few months was it refusing to land on about 5 occasions. Had posted this back some time ago.

1. Did the first firmware update , then had my first toilet bowl a few flights later. all calibrations were done after
the firmware update. Prob flew another 15 flights with only another refuse to land situation.
2. Just did the latest firmware update from 9/26. Performed all calibrations. Went out and flew flawlessly for pretty
much the entire battery. Came back landed once and took off again. The battery was getting low and came
back and was hovering about 5 feet off the ground for 2 minutes.
3. Then it started to do a very slight toilet bowl, at that point I tried to land and it went up to about 15 feet and
would take no commands. Then after about 40 seconds starts to shoot off at about 20mph and went about
50 feet before hitting a tree. Not good but prob better than a total lost of bird otherwise.

I am not a newbee to RC. Been doing RC since the 80,s . Had my own hobby shop for 8 years from 2005-2012
Finished 3rd in the world in 1/10 scale electric off road.

On another note I do not fly in safe mode and never use obstacle avoidance , and was in full rabbit mode.

Attachments

• IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 270902_1886359806495_593280_n.jpg
    270902_1886359806495_593280_n.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 271052_1886640853521_1527589_n.jpg
    271052_1886640853521_1527589_n.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Finally! After I sent an email to Yuneec UK in regards to this issue, I've just received a reply from them, confirming that a new firmware will be released in the next of couple of days, that will hopefully fix this !!!!

Here is what email says :
"Hi , [...] There is a brand new firmware that will be released in the next couple of days that has been written to combat the issues you talk of.
Give this a try as I think you will be very surprised. [...] "

Yessss ! I (still) believe I can fly !

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for late update on this old thread. I finally got my H back from KAVservice. Remember my H would not respond to left stick command to descend. Any altitude over 100 feet, it would either no respond and just hover or will descent a few feet and then shoot back up. Only way to get it to land was to do RTH or to keep trying.

The issue was with the Intelsense module. I still don't understand why that would cause the problem since I never use it. So anyway, I hope this helps others who are having the same behavior with their H. All the tips/tricks and trouble shooting suggested in here was tried and did not resolve the issue.

She is flying back to normal again and having fun again.
16463708_10207960045148887_4626109943761762570_o.jpg

I am experiencing the same issue, maybe 7 out of 10 flights, my H will not land, only hoover at about 30'. I turned off OSB, gear down, Angle Mode, still nothing. I can go up and back down to 30', try RTH, nothing, Smart Mode, Angle Mode, OSB ON, OSB Off, etc, then for no apparent reason, it will decided to land. The most recent occurrence happened last week, when it finally decided to land, it did some up and down action right before touch down and rolled over and busted 2 of my props.

This happened to me for the first time today (only 12th flight), but RTH fixed it. I have latest firmware, was in Angle Mode the whole flight, OS off, gear down (and cycled).
Next flight landed perfectly first time it was asked to !

Last edited:
Mine did this also , I figured out it was caused by not having a good compass calibration . I used the start stop button to bring it down by the short press trick.

After it did this I also cleaned the right joystick and do a complete calibration using the secret menu .

I now do a complete compass calibration everything I fly for the first time that day .

Is kinda scary when it happenes

Interesting that some people think it's the real-sense system causing this. I don't have that, and it still happened to me, which would rather rule that out, wouldn't it ?

Mine did this also , I figured out it was caused by not having a good compass calibration . I used the start stop button to bring it down by the short press trick.

After it did this I also cleaned the right joystick and do a complete calibration using the secret menu .

I now do a complete compass calibration everything I fly for the first time that day .

Is kinda scary when it happenes

It is kinda scary isn't it ? :/

When you say 'you figured out this was caused by not having a good compass calibration', how did you come to that conclusion ?
Because I would have thought that a compass calibration is either successful or not, and the machine will tell you either way. I had a successful calibration less than a week ago when I updated the firmware, and my GPS functionality has been flawless, except for the one occasion where it wouldn't land. That makes me think CC doesn't have a lot to do with it, but not criticising - just wondering what your reasoning was...

Interesting that some people think it's the real-sense system causing this. I don't have that, and it still happened to me, which would rather rule that out, wouldn't it ?

It is kinda scary isn't it ? :/

When you say 'you figured out this was caused by not having a good compass calibration', how did you come to that conclusion ?
Because I would have thought that a compass calibration is either successful or not, and the machine will tell you either way. I had a successful calibration less than a week ago when I updated the firmware, and my GPS functionality has been flawless, except for the one occasion where it wouldn't land. That makes me think CC doesn't have a lot to do with it, but not criticising - just wondering what your reasoning was...

Kind of figured that because for that day I don’t rethink the H restarted itself after the calibration , I redid the calibration and had three more flights that day with no problem

You are correct, in that if the H does not reboot giving you that uptone, the compass calibration did not complete successfully, and the procedure must be repeated.

Ahhhh.... Obstacle Avoidance.... Yes, the ST16 does say OBS Avoid

Thanks!

I couldn't get Oriented Strand Board out of my mind. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Thomas111
Ah yes, sorry, meant Obs avoidance system.

I phoned Yuneec UK about the landing issue today, and they seemed surprised to hear it had happened, and suggested recalibrating the ST-16 via its 'secret' menu, monitoring the situation on future flights and sending it back to them if it did it again...

Nice to be supported I guess, but I can't see how calibrating the controller will fix that - on the very next flight, there were no problems with any control stick, and my hardware monitor reports all controls reaching their maximum extents. So am I missing something here - does a controller calibration do anything else other than that or do you think Yuneec were grasping at straws to some extent ?

This may not affect what happened but... if you have RealSense enabled in the ST16 and even if you don't have OBS Avoid "ON" it will refuse to land with the landing gear up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace