Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My video after refocusing my CGO3...

It appeared to focused at 1M so infinity would be oit of focus which is what I am seeing in videos and stills.

Can you give us an approximate distance?

(I'm in the US so
All things being equal (if the censor is truly 1/2.3, lens is truly 14mm and an aperture of 2.8) this camera's lens can be focused no closer than 12.36 meters (hyperfocal distance) in order to keep focus out to infinity. The closest item in focus (using a 12.36 meters hyperfocal distance) would have to be at least 6.18 meters from the censor.

If the lens were to be focused at 3.5 meters, the depth of field would extend from 2.75 meters to apx 4.85 meters from the censor.
If the lens were to be focused at 7 meters, the depth of field would extend from 4.46 meters to apx 16.10 meters from the censor.

data is for simple print images no larger than 8x10. HD video will create an all new limitation.

The lens is a 3.7mm lens. The hyperfocal is 9" everything from 8" to infinity will be in focus

Interesting thread.
My old eyes are quite pleased with the results from my H but I may have a look at this sharpening after next weekend. I've got a job on and I know it's working now so don't want to mess that up.
Take a look at this and let me know with your " critical eyes " what you think.

Jim.
Flypic

Reactions: yuneec53
Interesting thread.
My old eyes are quite pleased with the results from my H but I may have a look at this sharpening after next weekend. I've got a job on and I know it's working now so don't want to mess that up.

Jim.
Flypic
I will watch the entire video later, but I did multiple spots where the motor arm is viable in the shot. I would crop the video or cut away to eliminate the motor being in the shot.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jim Davies
Thanks for the feedback Brent.
This one was just a favour for a friend not a paying job so I left those bits in. ( I tend to like seeing them ) although most people say the same as you.
Thanks

Jim

Reactions: Brent
Interesting thread.

Jim.
Flypic
Your video looks plenty sharp to me. Nice shots! You might want to lower (tilt) the camera down a bit to get less sky, less motor booms and more of the interesting stuff below.

Thanks for your opinion.
Probably my favourite bit of work.
It looks sharp to me with my dodgy old mince pies but good to get some undiased feedback.

Thanks.

Jim

The lens is a 3.7mm lens. The hyperfocal is 9" everything from 8" to infinity will be in focus
Not true. Focus for the distance you will be shooting most of the time. You will get much better results. You will never be shooting at 8 or 9 inches with your H.

Jim,

I liked the video content and the way you handled the H. The prop shots can go either way but I prefer not seeing them. Clarity wise it looked great on a 40" 1080 screen. There was a spot where EV self compensated, indicating you may have forgotten to lock the WB after a battery change. Not knowing the time of day it was shot, and allowing for the overcast, I think a slightly slower shutter speed would have lightened the shadows a bit, unless you wanted it dark. I've noticed that what looks good on the ST-16 screen is usually one to two stops too saturated so once I see what looks good on the screen I back off shutter speed at least one step and go from there.

I liked that video!

The subjective focal length of the lens will depend on the size of the CMOS sensor.

Wow, are the published specs listed on Yuneec's site that inaccurate as they list it as 14mm?
Specs - Yuneec

They are publishing the Full Frame DSLR equivalents. The sensor size is 1/2.3"

I have to laugh when they say that it is an "Aerial Optimized camera" if that was the case they would have used one of the Ambarella SoC processors that is optimized for a flying camera

Flying Cameras | Ambarella

Jim,

I liked the video content and the way you handled the H. The prop shots can go either way but I prefer not seeing them. Clarity wise it looked great on a 40" 1080 screen. There was a spot where EV self compensated, indicating you may have forgotten to lock the WB after a battery change. Not knowing the time of day it was shot, and allowing for the overcast, I think a slightly slower shutter speed would have lightened the shadows a bit, unless you wanted it dark. I've noticed that what looks good on the ST-16 screen is usually one to two stops too saturated so once I see what looks good on the screen I back off shutter speed at least one step and go from there.

I liked that video!
Thanks PatR,

Very helpful comments.

Jim

Obviously you have not tried this. Do some actual photography. You will learn a lot more than playing with some formula.

I do more photography and filmmaking than you. I make a **** good living at it. We use hyperfocal distance everyday, it's simple optical physics

Attachments

• Hyperfocal .png
    Hyperfocal .png
    145.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: bayport
I do more photography and filmmaking than you. I make a **** good living at it. We use hyperfocal distance everyday, it's simple optical physics
That's the problem with using silly apps and formulas. They don't work for real world photography. If your subject matter is going to be between 20 feet and infinity you want to use a hyperfocal distance greater than 20 feet. maybe 30 or 50 feet. not 9 inches.
Here is what happens when you focus at 9 inches:
Look at the full size images. Surely you don't think the distance ones are sharp.

Attachments

• GOPR1986.JPG
    GOPR1986.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 27
  • GOPR1987.JPG
    GOPR1987.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 26
  • GOPR1988.JPG
    GOPR1988.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
That's the problem with using silly apps and formulas. They don't work for real world photography. If your subject matter is going to be between 20 feet and infinity you want to use a hyperfocal distance greater than 20 feet. maybe 30 or 50 feet. not 9 inches.
Here is what happens when you focus at 9 inches:
Here is what happens when you focus at the distance you want to shoot at:
As I said, real world tests are much more educational than playing with formulas.

Attachments

• GOPR1992.JPG
    GOPR1992.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 14
  • GOPR1993.JPG
    GOPR1993.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 14
  • GOPR1994.JPG
    GOPR1994.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 12

Members online

Forum statistics