Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

National Park current flight restrictions?

Reaction score
Just learned that all the National Parks banned drones and then discovered the ban actually started in 2014 with a blanket ban on all parks.

But someone said the rule is you can't 'operate' in a National park, i.e. takeoff and land etc. but you can 'fly over a NatPark at higher altitude" (whatever that means).

Anyone know the details of the current NatPark rules as of March 2016?

Thanks!

Hmmmm
A blanket ban?
Seems QUANGOS are alive and well.
Probably situated in some incongruous back street basement somewhere rubber stamping little known legislation before it can be discussed by anyone that is actually knowledgeable of the subject.

The idiot NPS directors number is tel:202-208-3818 we should bombard his office with calls until this is changed, better yet call your congress rep and demand they do their job and legislate instead of non-elected bureaucrats do it for them

Reactions: Michael Decaires
What, if any, is the difference between National Parks and State Parks?
More specifically does the ban also apply to State Parks?

I "believe" National Parks are run/maintained by the Federal Government. State Parks are administered by the "States". At least here in Colorado, rules are differ from National Parks in that UASs can be flown at model airports at these State Parks. You can't fly them anywhere else in the park. I think rules vary from state to state...

Personally I don't care that I can't fly at a National Park. There are many other beautiful places to capture pictures and videos, you just have to look for them.

What, if any, is the difference between National Parks and State Parks?
More specifically does the ban also apply to State Parks?

Reactions: kellyjdrummer
I "believe" National Parks are run/maintained by the Federal Government. State Parks are administered by the "States". At least here in Colorado, rules are differ from National Parks in that UASs can be flown at model airports at these State Parks. You can't fly them anywhere else in the park. I think rules vary from state to state...

Personally I don't care that I can't fly at a National Park. There are many other beautiful places to capture pictures and videos, you just have to look for them.

My sentiments as well. Getting out of the house is initiative enough for me, driving a bit to find great scenery is no problem.

Reactions: QuadBart
Went to Everglades National Park last week and flew, really don't give a **** about thier stupid rules. Try and enforce them. Stupidness abounds, no drones in Everglades national park but the airboats thunder through it. What is more disturbing to people and the environment? Needless to say no one bothered me about my Q. Wouldn't call them rangers but there were park workers that saw me flying, they didn't seem to care. Can't say it would be the same everywhere. Guess is just my little rebellion against the over reach of the fed these days.

I'd rather respect the rules with consideration of knowing that I represent not just myself in the eyes of those who do NOT fly or participate. I prefer not to damage our collective image of drone users.

I'd rather respect the rules with consideration of knowing that I represent not just myself in the eyes of those who do NOT fly or participate. I prefer not to damage our collective image of drone users.
Flying by an airport or somewhere else that could actually cause harm damages the hobby image. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to fly in some places. I don't fly over people or harass wildlife. On the other hand last time I was at the Grand Canyon the stupid tourist helicopter flights were thundering through. If I'm in the middle of Yellow Stone, or the Smokeys with hardly a soul around there is no reason why I can't fly. I'm actually a pilot also, and I can certainly go rent a plain and fly at 500 feet over the same places. Far more disturbing to every thing or person on the ground.

The NPS was not elected and no member of the public was permitted to give any input on thier so called rules.

Flying by an airport or somewhere else that could actually cause harm damages the hobby image. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to fly in some places. I don't fly over people or harass wildlife. On the other hand last time I was at the Grand Canyon the stupid tourist helicopter flights were thundering through. If I'm in the middle of Yellow Stone, or the Smokeys with hardly a soul around there is no reason why I can't fly. I'm actually a pilot also, and I can certainly go rent a plain and fly at 500 feet over the same places. Far more disturbing to every thing or person on the ground.

The NPS was not elected and no member of the public was permitted to give any input on thier so called rules.

I agree, but I guess I have much more patience. Time will straighten things out. I don't consider myself as the voice for others, however I am very aware that my actions suggest to others that I DO speak for others. (My red text---->) Maybe more disturbing, but to the uninformed or naturally fearful, much quicker recognized and seemingly safer than some small drone flying around that may just "have a bomb onboard." People fear what they do not understand. They hate drones because they exist. I'm not inclined to fuel that flame.

BTW, *plane.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I am planning on being on Cape Cod this summer and the Cape Cod National Seashore (national park) has some beautiful unpopulated scenery. I, too, am respectful of people's privacy and wildlife, etc, and don't want to give droning a bad name. However, I know one guy who flies an ultralight over the area all the time. Also, small aircraft are allowed to fly over national parks as are helicopters (as pointed out above).

Last summer I was there and a 'Park Ranger' told me I couldn't remove stones from the beach (I had collected a box of them for my garden). After he actually threatened me with arrest, I dumped the stones at his feet and told him to have a nice day. To be fair I have had many good interactions with Park Rangers but a few of them think they are overly important because they are 'federal agents'.

So, we'll see. If a ranger sees me and tells me I can't fly over the NatPark, I will just stop flying and go away. (But if he tries to confiscate my drone, look out!)

Reactions: Joneshd3488
You know I have no idea.

As you see from the avatar I am welsh BUT I am living in Tennessee now.

I am sure the Welsh Assembly website will have something, if anything.

The rules were put in place because some jackass drone pilot dropped one in the Yellowstone pools potentially ruining the ecology of the unit. The thought that land management agencies do things without thought is ludicrous.

What would the arrest or warrant be, violation, if you are banned from doing this when there is no law to ban it?
In Alabama recently a guy carrying a concealed weapon in a city limit was arrested for violating the city law. It was ruled void by the state supreme court because there no punishment with the city law for the crime. One has to have advanced notice of both the crime and the punishment otherwise it is not valid.

A ban put in place by a park service that has no legal authority to make such laws. Did any of you vote these idiots into office?
The Constitution clearly states the feds can own one 10 square mile of land (DC) and forts and ports. Period. It's not their land, it's ours.

Is it a rule if its not actually legal to enforce it? And don't the National Parks belong to this Nation? I don't think anyone would really be upset by a quad copter taking a flight and shooting some pictures / videos. Now if your chasing wild animals or buzzing peoples campsites, then your just a moron...there are no rules against being a moron. Maybe the NPS should have a NO MORON RULE, I could get behind that!!!

Is it a rule if its not actually legal to enforce it? And don't the National Parks belong to this Nation? I don't think anyone would really be upset by a quad copter taking a flight and shooting some pictures / videos. Now if your chasing wild animals or buzzing peoples campsites, then your just a moron...there are no rules against being a moron. Maybe the NPS should have a NO MORON RULE, I could get behind that!!!

I could back the moron rule as well. I respect the appearance of those I chum with rather than being a selfish jerk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval