Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need Help Deciding ! Typhoon 4k or DJI P3 Advance

Yuneec , to go over DJ and blew it . all they had to do is have everything on the quad copters work like you're supposed to not even the features just work then they were suppose to and they would of had a good chance . But they don't seem to care then .
Maybe now they will make good on there claims , or I to hate DJI I don't like using my iPad or phone. If they get all in one with a monitor I might make the switch might

You made a good choice. I've used my Q500 4K on many pro shoots and have been accepted into a couple of Film Festivals so quality of the hardware is not an issue.

Tips:
Shoot everything at 4K and resample down to 1080P. The quality is way better than my old $3K Canon 5D MKIII. Better yet, ditch 1080P all together. (I have)
I manually set the white balance to "cloudy" to give the footage a warmer look and feel.
Don't be afraid to override the exposure setting.
Gorgeous, gorgeous video!!! I'm dying to get out into scenery like that!

I foresee a huge flood of people switching to mirrorless. I switched over to Panasonic last year and I've never been happier. In fact I have to shoot a wedding tonight and I'm overjoyed I don't have to carry 10lbs of Canon gear around my neck!

I shoot nothing but 4K now. It's great that you have a fast Mac, you'll need the power. I built myself an 8-core AMD workstation using Premiere Pro for editing. I also use After Effects for my 2D animation and LIghtwave for my 3D work.

More tips...
1) The only time I've ever busted a prop has been high winds. The Q500 4K doesn't do well in anything over 10mph wind speeds. You can do it but it's sketchy.
2) Buy the Yuneec USB dongle Flight simulator. I got one on Ebay for $27. You can download the software for free. It let's you use your existing controller and fly around a 3D Q500 on your computer. It actually feels exactly like the real thing.

Thanks! The Panasonic is a great camera too! About the only con for the prosumer mirrorless I can see is they are not weather/water proof. I'm not planning any Amazon jungle shoots in the near future so happy with the new technology of these lovely machines!

I am a very early Y4k adopter (advance order, just had to wait for the truck to get it from LA to Santa Cruz.) and in the long run the Y4k seems really only useful for establishing shots, scenic stuff and real estate. And I like it a lot for sailboat racing and surfing. The frame rate actually drives me a bit nuts and stands out when mixed into higher rate video. That is a pity because the detail of 4k video bumped down to HD 1080p 60 or 120 really fits well with semi pro and even low end cameras. The limits to manual controls on the Y4k also annoy me - as well as the inability to choose color spaces (Anybody got a LUT for Gorgeous, what ever THAT means?). You can tweak the exposure though to crush the image down and then use DaVinci Resolve (my fave) or Speedgrade/Lumetri and then extract the detail. Look for some Black Magic tutorials. Finally if you want to do the equivalent of a crane shot with it that wide angle has you flying so darned close to the talent or clients and the audio is shot.

Actually that audio thing is a drone issue in general, but it is made worse by the cinema-scope like lens.

The 4k IS darned fun to fly though! Great first drone to learn how to really fly. I've been disappointed though that since it came out there has never been a significant firmware update introducing new features. For a machine priced like the DJI 4 I assumed that Yuneec would just like DJI release updates that would keep our investment competitive. Blasphemy, but I would seriously weigh the merits of a Phantom or a Solo more carefully now that I know that points, cable mode etc were never coming.

The CG0 is a really weird camera to put on a drone that I refer to as being the "selfie" drone. The design is all about taking video of the pilot and the landscape.

I'm pretty sure the price for used units in any condition will drop like a rock with the H being marketed and maintained while the P4 Pro and Inspire will hold theirs for a few years. Maybe terminating the 500 series has been the plan for a long time, with the Chroma now moving in to the market niche. Like Darwin's birds but with propellers ;-)

Yuneec customer service did rock my world when that first unit I bought was defective.

Cheers, and fly safe!
K

Last edited:
Reactions: m5zealot
Thanks! The Panasonic is a great camera too! About the only con for the prosumer mirrorless I can see is they are not weather/water proof. I'm not planning any Amazon jungle shoots in the near future so happy with the new technology of these lovely machines!
Actually, both my Panasonic GX8 and my Olympus E-M1 are completely weather sealed with my 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8 lenses.. What I learned after much research was that most people bashing mirrorless cameras don't actually use them.

Actually, both my Panasonic GX8 and my Olympus E-M1 are completely weather sealed with my 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8 lenses.. What I learned after much research was that most people bashing mirrorless cameras don't actually use them.

Wow good to know. I'm sure my A6000 is not weather sealed. The manual states it. The AR7 is weather "resistant." I have 11 lenses for my A6000 including a 10-18mm wide angle and couple of Prime Zeiss. I'll never go back to DSLRs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33