Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

!!!!New 2.4 ghz antenna to boost telemetry!!!!

Instead of installing the fixed screw on antenna as shown in the video above....wouldn't it be better to feed the antenna wire down through the hollow legs and into the cross tubes at the end. That way when the landing gear retracts you get the benefit of longer antenna wire without the antenna themselves blocking the camera view? The screw on antenna housings are just sheathing to protect the antenna wire aren't they? Wouldn't the carbon fiber legs serve the same purpose to make the antenna retractable?

Carbon fiber tends to block some RF.
For telemetry, best would be to get the receiver (ST-16) antenna outside of the case.

If that is the case... Then this picture using the DBS and FBVLR antennas has the wrong gear. This shows 2 2.4 Antennas and two 5.8GHz antennas. You sure about 3 and 1?

Follow the link and look at page 3. It shows the transmitting frequency of the 4 antennas.

Follow the link and look at page 3. It shows the transmitting frequency of the 4 antennas.

Didn't doubt you...Just saying that the picture posted has the user using the wrong antennas externally. At least the far right antenna looks like it is for 5.8GHz..Could be a 2.4 Helix but I doubt it. I have both the DBS and FPVLR antenna... While it looks great, the user would be better off swapping out the helix with the stock external antenna.

Last edited:
Carbon fiber tends to block some RF.
For telemetry, best would be to get the receiver (ST-16) antenna outside of the case.
Anyone have experience with using longer antenna wire on the drone? If CF tube blocks the signal then how about a free wire taped or tie-wrapped to the exterior of the legs. I wonder if the wire can be lengthened or if they are offered longer by the mfg...? Thanks...

You must be doing something wrong, I have only been a ways out past 5000 ft and have a full screen,never a glitch. A lot of others to, bummer.I just modified my foam insert so my DBS is always on.
I'm sorry, but, what is dbs?. And where can I buy one?

Any instructions for moving the internal st16 antennas to the outside?

I used pigtails about the same length as the internal antennas being replaced and as mentioned above, both the internal antennas are 2.4 Ghz. using Omni antennas on the the formerly internal antennas, 9dbi on the lead from the 2.4g card and 5dbi on the lead from the 5.8/2.4g card.
when disassembling the radio watch for ribbon cables and other small leads and insure they are reconnected during reassembly; the pitch and rabbit/turtle rotary switches need to be centered to avoid catching them under the back of the radio case.

I used pigtails about the same length as the internal antennas being replaced and as mentioned above, both the internal antennas are 2.4 Ghz. using Omni antennas on the the formerly internal antennas, 9dbi on the lead from the 2.4g card and 5dbi on the lead from the 5.8/2.4g card.
when disassembling the radio watch for ribbon cables and other small leads and insure they are reconnected during reassembly; the pitch and rabbit/turtle rotary switches need to be centered to avoid catching them under the back of the radio case.
Do you have any links for the sma replacement cables used? Do you know what each one does, telemetry, gimble etc? Do you know which one was moved to the outside on the "pro" remote?

I sourced them through Amazon…. Many different suppliers and prices. Search for:

2 x 8inch / 20cm Mini PCIe U.FL / IPEX to RP-SMA

That
length seems to work best. There are kits that contain 2 cables and two 2.4GHz antennas for less then $8 USD

When looking down at the circuit board after removing the back cover
.You are looking to replace the internal antenna that goes to the board in the middle There are two existing "jacks" on the board. The one that has black tape on it (usually) will lead to the small internal antenna..Carefully remove the existing cableusing needle nose plyers can help.

You'll also have to drill a hole for the new antenna. Using a
rotary tool with a small bit and slowly expanding the hole to fit the new SMA connector works best. I put mine, on top, between the existing external 5.8GHz antenna jack and the switch for the landing gear -- that way I can continue to use my DBS antenna set on the outside and the cable/jack clears the internal components.

Last edited:
Good info from Hal, I have a large range of sizes in my antenna parts box, 6 to 30 cm, only issue Ive had is with some of the shielded leads being to stiff to route through the controller and the bird. Have fun!

Was consistently losing telemetry when yawing the H, even brief (10 second) loss of control signal at distance. now with mods to H and ST16 not so much; happy camper.

Kevin: What antenna is that you have mounted in the middle? (Looks like it is an extension of the internal telemetry antennas.) I've already got the FPVLR antennas, looking to improve my telemetry next...
Thanks!

Good info from Hal, I have a large range of sizes in my antenna parts box, 6 to 30 cm, only issue Ive had is with some of the shielded leads being to stiff to route through the controller and the bird. Have fun!

Yes…. I too had to go down a coax size to have a workable lead. Usually one wants thicker cable at those high frequencies to avoid any signal loss --- But, them being so short I'm sure it is negligible...

Kevin: What antenna is that you have mounted in the middle? (Looks like it is an extension of the internal telemetry antennas.) I've already got the FPVLR antennas, looking to improve my telemetry next...
Thanks!
ant.jpg
I'm Getting better results with these, fpvlr and 2 omni 2.4g antennas, the 5dbi on the right is on the telemetry lead and gave a noticeable improvement over the internal antenna it replaced.

View attachment 2761
I'm Getting better results with these, fpvlr and 2 omni 2.4g antennas, the 5dbi on the right is on the telemetry lead and gave a noticeable improvement over the internal antenna it replaced.

Kevin…. So you moved BOTH internals to the outside? I did that on my one ST16…Then didn't on my second ST16 as increasing WiFi (US Version) seemed to have no importance.

Was consistently losing telemetry when yawing the H, even brief (10 second) loss of control signal at distance. now with mods to H and ST16 not so much; happy camper.
FINALLY one that take's em all out ! That little fourth(or second 5G internal) antenna has been hiding for the rest of the forum and the world it seems...
I also got all my 4 antenna outlets in exactly the same position as in the picture. It just make sense with the separation of bands, and you avoid fuxxups with the shielding and putting tx on top of compass in ST16. The only thing I didn't shell out to Itelite, I use 4 independent antennas - 2 alfa type movable panels and 2 long dipoles at the moment.
CONGRATS I like your modding style.
Compass OK ?

Guys - It's ALL WiFi ! When it comes to hardware.
2.4 and even 5.8 G in this case - the analog system in racing is a different 5G that is NOT WiFi.
There's also a quite different 2.4 protocol called ZigBee for close range and small amounts of data(like switching)
You don't have to believe it, but I and everyone that ever had a look inside the ST16 would recognize the wifi modules in there.
Of course the drone industry took tha hardware at hand - everything whas already made and miniaturized.
Max out the module as far as you legally/possibly can mw-wise and use it as it is with a hidden network(early Phantoms)
OR tweak a WiFi protocol just a tiny bit - and call it Lightbitsh or Ridoccolous - and you can market it as a brand new brand and take whatever you want for it...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33