Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Pilot

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to flying drones and I'm looking to purchase my first one. I hear alot of debate about the typhoon H and the DJI Magic. I've heard pros and cons about both and im not sure where to get started. I was in Costco yesterday and to my surprise they had a Typoon H on a display. The price was $975 for the complete package. I like buying from Costco because they have a great return policy. I like both the Magic and the Typhoon. Any advise on which one is a better choice to get started with?

I'll suggest neither. Both are excellent aircraft but both share a high price for a beginner to crash. Both fly very well and provide great video, when in the hands of those that know how to use them. In other words, those with some experience will be the most successful, have the most fun, and see their expensive camera rigs last a long time.

Beginners crash a lot because they don't understand how to use the flight controls. Crashes make things break, and broken stuff is expensive to fix. For your first multirotor, buy an inexpensive "trainer" at Costco or elsewhere. Something that costs less than $100.00. Learn to fly with that, letting it bear the brunt of your early mistakes. You will save many hundreds of $$ in repairs for a camera rig that way because it won't be the rig that gets crashed a lot. You don't need a camera when learning how to fly.

Reactions: JizzyGillespie
Subzero,
You will get many varied opinions as to which is the better choice.
PatR gave you some good advice on a trainer. I still have mine trainer and have crashed it into more trees and walls then I can count. I had 2 fly away's with it, and still fly it today.
After you gain some experience flying, best question to ask is: What do you want to do with yours?
In my opinion the Typhoon H is a more stable platform, offers the ability to fly on 5 motors, everything is included, and great customer service. The DJI may have a bit more speed and distance. Customer service more depends on where you bought it.
The cameras are about the same on both and will yield great videos. I can not comment on the Magics flight times, With my Typhoon I can get up to 18 minutes. (it all depends on your flying style)
In the end the choice will have to be yours. Do some research, get a trainer, READ the entire manual, make sure first flights are in a BIG open field. Resist the temptation to fly out of your backyard the first time.
I still smile every time I fly my H.

Along with a practice drone, I also got the flight simulator for the Typhoon H to practice on. Both of these were great for me to gain confidance on before flying the H a lot. I also like flying the practice drone still since I consider it more like flying (especially in wind) rather than driving the H.

Agreed on the trainer drone. I would highly recommend the JXD 509G, which is a mini-Typhoon G clone. It has altitude hold, FPV, and one-button take-off and land. It would be excellent for you to practice and hone your skills on before spending $1000+ on a drone.

Amazon.com: JXD 6-Axis Gyro Drone FPV RC Quadcopter with Wi-Fi HD 0.3MP Camera, High Hold CF Mode Mobile Phone Control RC Drone, Black: Toys & Games
I agree with all of the comments. The JD 509 is indeed a fun guy to learn with because of the altitude hold feature. You get more time to practice with the right stick and left stick yaw. The simulator will only work if you already have the controller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval