Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Product? Venom Pro 4-Port [Cradle] Charger for Typhoon H

NorWiscPilot

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
(Updated 02Mar17) New Product? Venom Pro 4-Port [Cradle] Charger for Typhoon H

Greetings!

After following you all for awhile, learning, looking for advice, and researching (battery chargers most recently), I decided to jump in and officially join the club. Why?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Venom charger when I noticed a model that, I swear, was not visible last night. So, wondering if anyone else noticed and perhaps has more information. Aside from the apparent lack of a lot of bells and whistles, this one looks like it could tidy up the work space, eliminating all kinds of cables and adapters.

Four Typhoon H packs plug right into the charger itself. Also has USB ports to charge the ST16. For those looking for an easy to use, clean, multi-battery solution, this might be a good option until time to move on to more advanced battery management.

It has three modes: Charge, Cycle, and Storage. What I do not see is any specific reference to balancing in the manual. One could assume, but... I did try calling customer support; received a message stating the company is currently in Inventory Mode and thus customer support is offline this week.

Here is the product name from the Venom web site (linked):
Typhoon H 4-Port LiPo Battery Balance Charger with Dual USB Outputs

Thanks, and look forward to many enlightening conversations!

Jeff

(P.S. I did search several times, checking if anyone else had previously posted about this particular model.)

Update March 2, 2017:

I received my charger this morning. After thoroughly checking the packaging and the enclosed manual, I do not see any mention of balancing. To be completely assured, I called customer service and received confirmation of it indeed being a balancing charger. (I know FePhoenix asked as well, but I felt the need to hear it directly.)

Looks like the only reference to balancing is in the web title, not the packaging or manual. I did make a parting comment hoping marketing (or packaging) would be updated to give future buyers that warm and fuzzy.)

First impression(s): Build looks and feels solid. Definitely a plus for someone starting out and wanting simple (minimal cables and adapters) yet full function (charge, cycle, storage, and yes... balancing). Can hear it across the room while charging two batteries. Not annoying. Just reassurance the fans are turning.

Pics:
VenomTHBoxFront.JPG
VenomTHBoxBack.JPG

VenomTHBoxSpecsFull.JPG
VenomTHManualCover.JPG

Actual Battery Port - Looks familiar!

Attachments

• VenomTHBatteryPort.JPG
    VenomTHBatteryPort.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: Guest99 and MarioH
would like to keep abreast of this one as it would be something I would buy as long as it seemed to work OK and as mentioned above balanced the cells properly

Welcome!

I've had nothing but great experience with Venom products. I have about a dozen various sizes/configurations of their batteries (including a couple for my Typhoon), and a great 2-port 20-amp charger. No experience with this particular charger, but the name does say "Balance Charger," and the description says "...designed to charge, cycle, or storage charge... ". I'd be surprised if Venom sold a product that didn't take care of your batteries.

I prefer a non-single-purpose charger myself, as I fly things other than just the TH. I'm a little surprised that there doesn't seem to be any display; it's good to be able to get info on your batteries such as internal resistance, mAh replaced, etc. I also prefer to set the charge current.

Certainly looks like a convenient unit, though.

yes fair point and its probably a decent charger especially for that discounted price - i have a graupner polaron charger for charging them individually so i will probably buy the venom and see what it tops them out at

And what if one of the batteries is defective and catches fire?
You lose 4 batteries and the MOST EXPENSIVE battery charger ever, and probably your house as well if 4 of them go up in smoke.
All your eggs in one basket is never a good idea fellas, we all know this.

Would be an awesome charger if they had stuck a voltage/mAh display in it along with standard banana and balance outputs to charge other batteries.

And what if one of the batteries is defective and catches fire?
You lose 4 batteries and the MOST EXPENSIVE battery charger ever, and probably your house as well if 4 of them go up in smoke.
All your eggs in one basket is never a good idea fellas, we all know this.

only if you are stupid enough to walk away from lipos under charge !!!!!!!

Welcome!

I've had nothing but great experience with Venom products. I have about a dozen various sizes/configurations of their batteries (including a couple for my Typhoon), and a great 2-port 20-amp charger. No experience with this particular charger, but the name does say "Balance Charger," and the description says "...designed to charge, cycle, or storage charge... ". I'd be surprised if Venom sold a product that didn't take care of your batteries.

I prefer a non-single-purpose charger myself, as I fly things other than just the TH. I'm a little surprised that there doesn't seem to be any display; it's good to be able to get info on your batteries such as internal resistance, mAh replaced, etc. I also prefer to set the charge current.

Certainly looks like a convenient unit, though.

hi Prathbun!

Thanks for the welcome!

Your comments are spot on as far as personal preferences are concerned. I just edited the post to point out its simplicity, especially helpful for someone just getting into the game.

Thanks again!

Jeff

So you sit there staring at your LiPo's for hours do you Mr Perfect?

If your 'stupid' enough to think you can do anything about it once it catches fire then carry on, what will you do throw water over it while you inhale the lethal fumes pouring from it just before it detonates spraying burning battery contents in your face while your watching it!
Two years ago my mate had a swollen LiPo on his heli, we thought we would see what happened when one 'went up'. It fizzed very quickly then practically detonated NOTHING you can do to stop this process once it starts and it happens VERY quickly indeed.

Believe me you don't want to have that happen in your home or anywhere near you or even in a so called LiPo bag..

So you sit there staring at your LiPo's for hours do you Mr Perfect?

If your 'stupid' enough to think you can do anything about it once it catches fire then carry on, what will you do throw water over it while you inhale the lethal fumes pouring from it just before it detonates spraying burning battery contents in your face while your watching it!
Two years ago my mate had a swollen LiPo on his heli, we thought we would see what happened when one 'went up'. It fizzed very quickly then practically detonated NOTHING you can do to stop this process once it starts and it happens VERY quickly indeed.

Believe me you don't want to have that happen in your home or anywhere near you or even in a so called LiPo bag..

you are an idiot if you are charging lipos at all and dont plan for something going wrong - carry on being a complete tit m8, you are just the sort of person those things happen to !!....and yes I always stay with charging batteries for as long as it takes

what a chump

Of course you do mate, like I said Mr Perfect or no life?
Mine charge alone in a small brick outbuilding with no flammable source, been using em since they first came out and were truly dodgy.
Only ever had one snaggy one years back when I tried to get an extra charge from a cheap chinky LiPo that had swollen.

And no need for insults and foul language, if you cant take em don't give them.

Chum-----p

Of course you do mate, like I said Mr Perfect or no life?
Mine charge alone in a small brick outbuilding with no flammable source, been using em since they first came out and were truly dodgy.
Only ever had one snaggy one years back when I tried to get an extra charge from a cheap chinky LiPo that had swollen.

And no need for insults and foul language, if you cant take em don't give them.

Chum-----p

i didnt say you were stupid for leaving lipos unattended, nobody should leave lipos unattended during charging regardless of how long it takes, and you should have all means available to be able to cope with any incidents when they go wrong, sorry if you think thats a "perfect" thing to do, actually its just being responsible as well as a legal requirement under emergency action plans for licensed operators so it is something we have simulated and practised for and have procedures for dealing with them, either in the workshop or out on projects

as for this charger there is no evidence whatsoever that this charger would in any way contribute to such an event, and if it did you should be able to cope with that eventuality or you shouldn;t use them and go do something else

kind regards

Reactions: Jester
Ok Fella,

I misunderstood the tone of your first message, sorry for any ill feeling.

I am putting a video below of a LiPo explosion, please DO NOT charge them in your home.

Now imagine 4 of em!!

I agree with your comments regarding actual risk from the charger which is a quality branded item.
Its just that having lost my wife and 14 year old daughter in one go last year I feel kind of unlucky if you know what I mean.

Fly safe..

Ok Fella,

I misunderstood the tone of your first message, sorry for any ill feeling.

I am putting a video below of a LiPo explosion, please DO NOT charge them in your home.

Now imagine 4 of em!!

no worries, the message is a good one, lipos are a real hazard and need to be treated accordingly - the more data you have about a battery when its under charge is always better so you can see if something is not right, but this charger should be no different to any other multiple charger as long as you treat the charging itself with the utmost respect otherwise as you said, that can happen and as was seen on one of the phantom forums some guy lost his house when a lipo went up

hopefully if the graphene battery technology keeps improving then we can see light at the end of the tunnel for lipos in their current form

Greetings!

After following you all for awhile, learning, looking for advice, and researching (battery chargers most recently), I decided to jump in and officially join the club. Why?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Venom charger when I noticed a model that, I swear, was not visible last night. So, wondering if anyone else noticed and perhaps has more information. Aside from the apparent lack of a lot of bells and whistles, this one looks like it could tidy up the work space, eliminating all kinds of cables and adapters. Four Typhoon H packs plug right into the charger itself. Also has USB ports to charge the ST16. For those looking for an easy to use, clean, multi-battery solution, this might be a good option until time to move on to more advanced battery management.

It has three modes: Charge, Cycle, and Storage. What I do not see is any specific reference to balancing in the manual. One could assume, but... I did try calling customer support; received a message stating the company is currently in Inventory Mode and thus customer support is offline this week.

Jeff

(P.S. I did search several times, checking if anyone else had previously posted about this particular model.)
Thank You for the Link, NorWiscPilot! I've been waiting for someone to develop a Multi-Charger like this for the Typhoon H Battery for some time. I had a very similar Charger I used for my Phantom 2 Batteries a few years ago and I swear it made them live longer.
As Venom is such a reputable name in Batteries and Chargers I went ahead and ordered one. Great price and free Fed Ex shipping too, cant beat it.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I think a couple of you trampled on the Forum Rules line, but you worked it out. Kudos to both for policing yourselves.

This charger looks good for anyone having nothing but TH type (plug-in) batteries. Won't work for me since I have a mix of batteries.

Greetings!

I was about to pull the trigger on a Venom charger when I noticed a model that, I swear, was not visible last night. So, wondering if anyone else noticed and perhaps has more information. Aside from the apparent lack of a lot of bells and whistles, this one looks like it could tidy up the work space, eliminating all kinds of cables and adapters.

Four Typhoon H packs plug right into the charger itself. Also has USB ports to charge the ST16. For those looking for an easy to use, clean, multi-battery solution, this might be a good option until time to move on to more advanced battery management.

Jeff

I asked Venom about balancing. Look at the title: it's a BALANCE charger. Ordered. Will report a while after it arrives.

Reactions: drone flyer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval