Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Typhoon H owner here with a few questions.

Reaction score
Hello!
Ok, as stated above I am a new owner and have never flown any drone at all till few days a go and it is a Rage Nano that came free with my Typhoon H. So, that being said I am in no hurry getting the Typhoon out till I think I'm ready. So, here is a few questions I have.

My Typhoon is new so, do I need to do a firmware update on it and is there a way to check and see which firmware it has, could it already have the latest version?

On the remote (ST-16) I've noticed after powering it on, it is pretty much an Android operating system. So, is there any reason to set up an email account on it and can it be personalized? Like where it says "Welcome Pilot" can that be changed to "Welcome your name" or whatever you want? I've also noticed it takes a sd card too to help with updates but would there be any reason to keep a sd card in it at all times too?

Typhoon H GUI for my PC. What is it for? Reason I asked on all the update videos I watched it is done by a SD card.

Do you all use the factory charger for the batteries? I've noticed after doing research on the drones they do not recommend storing fully charged batteries or completely dead batteries and how long storage they talking about? If you all have went with another charger which one you recommend and is it ok to keep remote ST-16 fully charged at all times no matter what along with the Wizard.

Is there anything you recommend I can do in the house without flying to get used to the remote and all the controls? And any other suggestions please post them below.

You can check the firmware on the st16. Power uo the st16 then the H and let everthing connect dont forget to remove the gimbal lock on the camera. Then tap system settings at the bottom of the screen. Then tap about...and that should show you the firmware versions for everthing. Just compare that to the lastest fw versions on the yuneec website.

Not sure about customization but yes in pad mode its an android system.

The sd card is used for updating and i just leave it in the st16. Dont forget you need a good high speed sd in the camera.

I use a dual lipo charger with adapter cables to charge my batteries for the H and a micro usb charger for the st16 and i always fully charge my st16 after every flight. It takes a long time to charge. Here is my charger

UP120AC Duo Dual 2 Port (2x 12Amps, 2x 120Watts, 240Watts Total): LiPo, LiHV, LiIon, LiFe, NiCd, NiMh, Pb AC/DC Balancing Battery Multi-Chemistry Multicharger with 300Watt Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZ1CBVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zZ8yybX8QPWXP

And the adapters

Yuneec Typhoon H Battery Plug Cable for Chargers | Carolina Dronz
Yuneec Typhoon H Battery Plug Cable for Chargers

713a1b67f52205785c60dd033353b522.jpg

Bill W.

Just familiarize yourself with the st16 and what controls what. You can power everthing up...remember to remove gimbal gurd before power up. Then without props you can play with all the controls just to see how different things react.

Bill W.

Storing batteries should be only charged to about 3.80 or 3.85 per cell that charger has a storage mode. Never fully discharge a lipo battery and yes do not store fully charged for more than a week i would say.

Bill W.

I have a good video demonstrating an app that a pilot designed to work with the H on the St16

Bill W.

I have a good video demonstrating an app that a pilot designed to work with the H on the St16

Bill W.

Careful trying to have it be an android pad. It's not. You have some features but google play does not work. It's primary function is to integrate all the radio and video functions into a visual package that knows what the switches and sticks are doing. I saw a thread here about how to code in your name but I'm betting that will be addressed in an update soon enough. If you are an Android code expert, you will most likely find some normal pad features are disabled in deference to making it a drone controller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: siraltitude
Careful trying to have it be an android pad. It's not. You have some features but google play does not work. It's primary function is to integrate all the radio and video functions into a visual package that knows what the switches and sticks are doing. I saw a thread here about how to code in your name but I'm betting that will be addressed in an update soon enough. If you are an Android code expert, you will most likely find some normal pad features are disabled in deference to making it a drone controller.

This app works great. But yes it is made just for the use with the H. I believe it has much more potential and hopefully yuneec will bring that out eventually. However with the limited memory that could be difficult unless they add use of the sd card for app and data storage.

Bill W.

Ok, my firmware version on the ST16 is as follows.
System Version: st16_system_v3.01.b18
Transmitter Version: st16_tx_v00.16
Radio Version: st16_rf_v01.08

Typhoon H.
Gimbal Version: V1.21
AutoPilot Version: V1.15
IPS Version: V0.0
Camera Version: V3.1.37(A)

And according to Yuneec website this is the newest version out. So, I need to update, correct? But on the Drone firmware it states;
To gain features listed in this new firmware update please make sure your autopilot version is v1.29 or above and gimbal version is v1.25 or above.
So, where do I get those versions to make sure I'm doing this right? Basically help please so I don't screw this up :)

USE WITH LATEST VERSION OF ST16 FIRMWARE
Drone Firmware
Firmware Typhoon H STD V3.01 Gimbal:v1.25, Autopilot:v1.30, Camera:v3.2.26
Controller Firmware
Firmware ST16 Controller STD v03.01.b27

So, do I need to update to earlier update first before updating to the newest one out or just go ahead and update to the newest one that is out?

Last edited:
A far as getting used to the controller and it's functions, without flying the H, invest in the UAV Pilot Simulator.
The software can be downloaded here:

http://download.yuneec.com/UAV_Pilot/UAV_Pilot/UAV-Pilot_3.0_setup.exe

but you will also need to purchase the USB wireless dongle to connect with your ST16. It can be purchased
at any number of places online, including directly from Yuneec.

The following YouTube video is pretty good at showing how to setup and use the sim...
he used an older version that does not have the H as a choice in the program, but the
version in the link I posted above does have the Typhoon H as a model choice.

Also know, that if you do a future upgrade to your firmware, that the custom simulator
model you create on the ST16 will be wiped out, and you will need to re-create that
sim model, and rebind.

Last edited:
A far as getting used to the controller and it's functions, without flying the H, invest in the UAV Pilot Simulator.
The software can be downloaded here:

http://download.yuneec.com/UAV_Pilot/UAV_Pilot/UAV-Pilot_3.0_setup.exe

but you will also need to purchase the USB wireless dongle to connect with your ST16. It can be purchased
at any number of places online, including directly from Yuneec.

The following YouTube video is pretty good at showing how to setup and use the sim...
he used an older version that does not have the H as a choice in the program, but the
version in the link I posted above does have the Typhoon H as a model choice.

Also know, that if you do a future upgrade to your firmware, that the custom simulator
model you create on the ST16 will be wiped out, and you will need to re-create that
sim model, and rebind.

Great! Ok, I'm looking for the USB wireless dongle on yuneecs website and can't seem to find one. Can you point me in right direction on getting one please?

Ok, my firmware version on the ST16 is as follows.
System Version: st16_system_v3.01.b18
Transmitter Version: st16_tx_v00.16
Radio Version: st16_rf_v01.08

Typhoon H.
Gimbal Version: V1.21
AutoPilot Version: V1.15
IPS Version: V0.0
Camera Version: V3.1.37(A)

And according to Yuneec website this is the newest version out. So, I need to update, correct? But on the Drone firmware it states;
To gain features listed in this new firmware update please make sure your autopilot version is v1.29 or above and gimbal version is v1.25 or above.
So, where do I get those versions to make sure I'm doing this right? Basically help please so I don't screw this up :)

USE WITH LATEST VERSION OF ST16 FIRMWARE
Drone Firmware
Firmware Typhoon H STD V3.01 Gimbal:v1.25, Autopilot:v1.30, Camera:v3.2.26
Controller Firmware
Firmware ST16 Controller STD v03.01.b27

So, do I need to update to earlier update first before updating to the newest one out or just go ahead and update to the newest one that is out?

It does not need to follow a path up. You can go from the current firmware to the latest...BUT...I'd wait and learn all the features it came with on this version. On the Yuneec site, under support for the H is the downloads. I highly recommend getting comfortable with it as is. The firmware update path has led to problems for many of us due to possible code problems vs new features and changes. I was flying just fine and very happy with out of the box shipped firmware. I've spent way too much time second guessing stuff since I jumped on the update in October. It's a lot to digest and can lead to brick outs and frustration. Most of it is for advanced camera features and additional ST 16 menus and choices along with a sneaky height restriction that has created a bit of hub bub here.

Learn to enjoy it before you get caught up in all this. We hope to have an update fix soon and I doubt Yuneec will create a barrier to jump up to 3.2 package from what they are still obviously shipping as "stock" firmware.

Welcome to a place where every detail is obsessed over.

Great! Ok, I'm looking for the USB wireless dongle on yuneecs website and can't seem to find one. Can you point me in right direction on getting one please?

The UAV Pilot page on their site is currently not working, but you can call their sales number at
(844) 343-9966... I'm sure they will be happy to assist you. They can take your info on the phone
to send it to you. Or B&H Photo has it online for $29.00:

YUNEEC Simulator for Yuneec Aircraft YUNSIM B&H Photo Video

It does not need to follow a path up. You can go from the current firmware to the latest...BUT...I'd wait and learn all the features it came with on this version. On the Yuneec site, under support for the H is the downloads. I highly recommend getting comfortable with it as is. The firmware update path has led to problems for many of us due to possible code problems vs new features and changes. I was flying just fine and very happy with out of the box shipped firmware. I've spent way too much time second guessing stuff since I jumped on the update in October. It's a lot to digest and can lead to brick outs and frustration. Most of it is for advanced camera features and additional ST 16 menus and choices along with a sneaky height restriction that has created a bit of hub bub here.

Learn to enjoy it before you get caught up in all this. We hope to have an update fix soon and I doubt Yuneec will create a barrier to jump up to 3.2 package from what they are still obviously shipping as "stock" firmware.

Welcome to a place where every detail is obsessed over.

Thank you Craig! Your post really makes me feel better and you answered my question on following the path or go with the newest one. As you stated I too am one of those people where I obsess over every little detail, my Wife is always telling me I worry too much over the small things. I'm going to leave it alone, work on flying my Rage Nano drone outside and going to order me a USB dongle and get some time with the simulator. Big thinks to Eagle Eye showing me that software existed and now contacting Frank at Carolina Dronz to buy me a Yuneec WI-FI stick to hook up my ST-16 with.
I can tell you all have a lot of knowledge on this stuff and please feel free to keep pointing me in the right direction or adding things to my post as I will be patrolling these boards quite a bit to learn.

Thx guys!!

Thank you Craig! Your post really makes me feel better and you answered my question on following the path or go with the newest one. As you stated I too am one of those people where I obsess over every little detail, my Wife is always telling me I worry too much over the small things. I'm going to leave it alone, work on flying my Rage Nano drone outside and going to order me a USB dongle and get some time with the simulator. Big thinks to Eagle Eye showing me that software existed and now contacting Frank at Carolina Dronz to buy me a Yuneec WI-FI stick to hook up my ST-16 with.
I can tell you all have a lot of knowledge on this stuff and please feel free to keep pointing me in the right direction or adding things to my post as I will be patrolling these boards quite a bit to learn.

Thx guys!!

Never be in a hurry to crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1