Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie Here

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Greg and I just purchased my Typhoon H Pro two days ago and I absolutely love it. I originally purchased the Q500 4K, but for some reason the charging cable for the battery was not in the box. So I took it back and the only one they had in stock was the Typhoon H with Intel Real Sense and I was was like screw it. I might need that extra accident avoidance....lol.

So my question to you guys is this. Im and a newbie to the drone scene and I really want to get the most out of this purchase. What are quality of life thing that you recommend. Like yesterday I was flying well within my range, but I was at a park in this neighborhood by my house. I assume the reason I temporary lost connection is because all those homes most likely have wireless interest that is on the 2.4GHz band. There was at least two times that my drone lost connection with my st16+ controller. It was only for like 2 seconds each time, but I was scared shitless (excuse my language) but i need to convey my fear to you. Do you think I will need a signal booster or do I just need to not fly there anymore.

I would love to hear your guys tips and tricks.

Thanks,

Greg

There are 3 signals associated with the H. The wifi is the video signal at 5.8GHz. The other 2 are not wifi. Telemetry and the control signal are 2.4GHZ. The weakest signal is video and you will see it breakup or freeze sometimes. However, even if the video is completely lost you will still have telemetry and full control of the H. If you loose video and you are confused about which way to fly to bring it home, look at the green arrow on the screen. Push the right stick in the same direction the green arrow is pointing and it will fly back to your location. If, for some reason, you actually lost the control signal, the H will start to fly back toward the ST16 until it picks up the signal again. If this happens always flip the switch to Home until you can see the aircraft and then you can change back to Angle or Smart.

Welcome aboard Greg. The best advice I can give you is to read through the various threads on this forum and you'll learn a lot. If there is a specific thing you want to know about, use the search feature (top left) of the forum page. I'm pretty sure all your questions will be answered.

As for the lost connection, can you describe exactly what happened? How did you know you lost connection? Was there a message that came up on the screen of the ST16?

I understand that the 2.4GHz in this application is not wireless its using to transmit the data that you described. What i meant was 2.4GHz is also used form the bulk of home networks is it possible that I got interference is more or less my question. I was looking at the screen and first thing I noticed was like what Steve stated the video got extremely chopping and cut out. Since I was already looking at my screen I looked up at the signal strength and noticed that the 2.4 & 5.8 icons had disappeared. A few seconds later they popped back in. There was no message that popped up on the screen.

If it your saying this was just a fluke and dont worry thats cool. Like I said im new to this and you always seem to notice things when you dont know much about them.

2.4 is for your RC control. The video link is 5.8. If you lose 2.4, the H will return to the last transmit from the ST16. If you lose video (5.8) then this is either because you have flown out of the video range, the transmission has been blocked (trees, metal objects, etc), or something else is causing interference. I'm pretty sure most home WiFi networks are on the 5.8 frequency so this may have had an impact.
Was you landing gear down or up when you noticed this dropout? Some members have stated that having the landing gear down may have an impact on the video link.

So I decided to get up early and fly it this morning and one again it lost connection. This time it was worse then the first time. All my telemetry data disappeared from my screen, both my 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz, and I was no more than 150 ft up and approx 800 ft out. The screen on my st16+ went back to the main screen and the box popped up that said it was searching for the drone. It did return to home but I was well with my range this time so I dont know if there is something wrong with my unit or not, but if anybody doesnt have any tips I will most likely return to the store today.

Can you post a few pics of your ST16 with the antenna's installed?
Also, what sort of area are you flying in? Are there trees, etc between you and the H?

Here is a picture of the way my antenna are installed on the controller. It was like this our of the box except I switched to the directional 5.8 antenna that was included. I was flying in a field near my house. There would have been no trees directly between me and the drone. And my landing gear was down on of those times, but it was up the other time.

IMG_20170429_081657.jpg IMG_20170429_081702.jpg

At 150 ft elevation and 800 ft out, you should still have solid video and telemetry. That image you posted shows the 5.8 antenna (in the middle) is a 'patch' antenna. Was this pointing towards where the H was in the air? If not, then this may be the issue. Also pays to check the antenna connection - it should be nice and snug.
The other thing to try is to go to a different area and fly there and see if you have similar results.

Let us know the outcome.

I'm guessing it's an issue with wifi signal saturation in the area. I too have had issues such as this when flying my Q500 over a green belt on back of my house. I'm not sure what it's like in other areas of the world but here we have a isp that uses modems with 2.4 and 5.8 at the same time. The other issue is some are using boosters or range extenders piggybacking the router. I've looked at the signals in my area around the house using an app and imo there's a very real possibility it's that saturation that's causing it. I am using the ITElite system on my st10 and it's no help in this situation.

Thats what I thought. This was the second location. I will try one more tho. Is there a way to get the data off the controller to get a more precise feet and height data from my last flight?

I'm guessing it's an issue with wifi signal saturation in the area. I too have had issues such as this when flying my Q500 over a green belt on back of my house. I'm not sure what it's like in other areas of the world but here we have a isp that uses modems with 2.4 and 5.8 at the same time. The other issue is some are using boosters or range extenders piggybacking the router. I've looked at the signals in my area around the house using an app and imo there's a very real possibility it's that saturation that's causing it. I am using the ITElite system on my st10 and it's no help in this situation.

Thanks Niblett that was one of my main thoughts if I should get the ITelite to help push my signal thru but if that wont help then I will have to think of some thing else. What application did you use to check the signals around you.

I quoted my own post and not yours Nib I felt so stupid....lol
No issues, I have a harder time posting things using my iPad mini. The app was on a service techs phone, android I think. It's basically a wifi signal sniffer, I bet a quick search for an app in your phone would give you a free option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss