Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No confidence in the H at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I hate that this is my first post in this forum, but i just feel a little in shock right now at what i expected to be an amazing experience with a great drone which has been a nightmare.

However, with that said, i must give the customer service reps at Yuneec credit because they all have been extremely helpful and nice on the phone. So, here's my story so far....

Started my drone career off with a Chroma 4K. Learned the ropes with it and enjoyed it but wanted something a little better. I use the drone for work (Real Estate marketing) and for play.

So, i sold the Chroma and purchased the Typhoon H. On approximately my 6th flight with it, i was flying over a property taking some photos and was finished so i prepared to "return to home" but before i did i was going to aim the camera down to film the route home. So i tilted the camera and flipped the switch to return home. At that point the picture on the controller froze. I realized that it wasn't moving and thought to myself that's strange. As i looked up at the drone it landed in the pond like a meteorite hit! It was a loud splash down since it landed from a free fall of about 400 feet. I was in shock. I called Yuneec and told them what just happened and they explained how to send in the telemetry and they would look at it. So i did. A few days later no response, so i called. They said they had issues with their email and no one had looked at the telemetry yet but they would. A few days later i called again, they put me on hold and came back saying you are right, we looked at the flight log and something went wrong. They were sending me out a new one. I said don't forget the battery!!

About a week later i got the replacement drone with battery and propellers. But, there was a problem, no memory card and the gimble was hanging by two of the boots and the wires! How on earth does that happen when it's obviously secured in the box! So i called and told them what had happened and they said they would send me out a set of the "boots" and a memory card.

I waited about 5-6 days for the package to arrive and it did. Once i got everything, i updated the firmware, calibrated the compass, accelerometer and gimble using the instructions on youtube. All is good in the world again, finally!!

So i took it for it's first flight. Everything seemed fine and i decided to return to home with it. I realized that it was landing a little farther away from me than it should and it might land on my neighbor's car, so i flipped the switch to safe mode and it hovered in place as it should. I guided it over to the driveway and down to land. As it landed, the propellers kept spinning as if it thought it was still in flight. I held down the control to try to make it stop while it kept trying to tilt as if it wanted to take back off. It wouldn't stop!! It would tip up, down, tip back up, down, then finally it tipped up and flew about 5 feet across the street, hit the curb, flipped over and ripped the gimble off of the drone!! The wires were just dangling and torn in half, the boots were gone and the propellers had damage! WTF!

So i called Yuneec and said it's me again! Told them what happened and he said i should of calibrated the accelerometer. I said i did! Then he said well it was probably because it was in safe mode and it was in the safety circle and was trying to get away from you?!?! I said that doesn't make since.

So here we go again, i told them at this point i'm not sure that i want this drone anymore. I have no confidence in it. He said to send in the telemetry and they would look at what happened.

In the mean time, i have a $1200 investment that i haven't been able to use for work in over a month and a drone that i think is sketchy. I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Sorry to say, but safety circle does make sense.

Reactions: abinder and Dadjvs
How far were you from the H when landing you need to be at least 26 feet away from it, then power it off, then approach it after the power is off

Reactions: abinder
I would be guesstimating that i was about 25 feet away. It wouldn't power down, that's part of what i'm saying. I used the left down on the controller and then hit the red button but it wouldn't stop.

If your flying in tight areas you should fly in angle mode and if your not comfortable flying in angle mode you should be in such a tight area

Reactions: abinder
You have to keep down the throttle about 2/3 seconds before the motors slow down. Then you hit the power button for 4/5 seconds. I heard some more complaints with old firmware that some where having problems to touch the ground.....

The first terminal issue was on Yuneec, they replaced it under warranty.

The detached gimbal on the second one was quite likely due to the way it was handled during the shipping process. It was very easy to reattach after receiving it and be ready to operate with a few minutes of effort.

I tend to agree with others with the Safe Circle explanation when using RTH.

After landing there is a need to hold the throttle stick down until propeller speed reduces. If the spun does bot diminish, continue holding down the throttle and disarm using the red button.

When on the ground with propellers spinning the H will respond to stick inputs. If you are moving the pitch, roll and yaw controls it will tilt. That is common across all multirotors, and also the manner many that build their own verify that control functions are correct prior to the first flight. Aircraft on the ground, run the motors, move the sticks, observe the aircraft tilts correctly for the stick input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hate that this is my first post in this forum, but i just feel a little in shock right now at what i expected to be an amazing experience with a great drone which has been a nightmare.

However, with that said, i must give the customer service reps at Yuneec credit because they all have been extremely helpful and nice on the phone. So, here's my story so far....

Started my drone career off with a Chroma 4K. Learned the ropes with it and enjoyed it but wanted something a little better. I use the drone for work (Real Estate marketing) and for play.

So, i sold the Chroma and purchased the Typhoon H. On approximately my 6th flight with it, i was flying over a property taking some photos and was finished so i prepared to "return to home" but before i did i was going to aim the camera down to film the route home. So i tilted the camera and flipped the switch to return home. At that point the picture on the controller froze. I realized that it wasn't moving and thought to myself that's strange. As i looked up at the drone it landed in the pond like a meteorite hit! It was a loud splash down since it landed from a free fall of about 400 feet. I was in shock. I called Yuneec and told them what just happened and they explained how to send in the telemetry and they would look at it. So i did. A few days later no response, so i called. They said they had issues with their email and no one had looked at the telemetry yet but they would. A few days later i called again, they put me on hold and came back saying you are right, we looked at the flight log and something went wrong. They were sending me out a new one. I said don't forget the battery!!

About a week later i got the replacement drone with battery and propellers. But, there was a problem, no memory card and the gimble was hanging by two of the boots and the wires! How on earth does that happen when it's obviously secured in the box! So i called and told them what had happened and they said they would send me out a set of the "boots" and a memory card.

I waited about 5-6 days for the package to arrive and it did. Once i got everything, i updated the firmware, calibrated the compass, accelerometer and gimble using the instructions on youtube. All is good in the world again, finally!!

So i took it for it's first flight. Everything seemed fine and i decided to return to home with it. I realized that it was landing a little farther away from me than it should and it might land on my neighbor's car, so i flipped the switch to safe mode and it hovered in place as it should. I guided it over to the driveway and down to land. As it landed, the propellers kept spinning as if it thought it was still in flight. I held down the control to try to make it stop while it kept trying to tilt as if it wanted to take back off. It wouldn't stop!! It would tip up, down, tip back up, down, then finally it tipped up and flew about 5 feet across the street, hit the curb, flipped over and ripped the gimble off of the drone!! The wires were just dangling and torn in half, the boots were gone and the propellers had damage! WTF!

So i called Yuneec and said it's me again! Told them what happened and he said i should of calibrated the accelerometer. I said i did! Then he said well it was probably because it was in safe mode and it was in the safety circle and was trying to get away from you?!?! I said that doesn't make since.

So here we go again, i told them at this point i'm not sure that i want this drone anymore. I have no confidence in it. He said to send in the telemetry and they would look at what happened.

In the mean time, i have a $1200 investment that i haven't been able to use for work in over a month and a drone that i think is sketchy. I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Safe mode? That's confusing. If you mean smart mode then you'd crash for sure trying that landing. Not trying to disparage your skills but if you were not in angle mode, that behavior was not unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Rayray
I have to admit I received a replacement ST16 from Yuneec support once and the sticks were pushed in and the screws to hold them in place threaded. They're quality control in support is shocking. On another occasion they had my Typhoon H in for service as it would not fly straight, after two weeks I chased them for an update and they told me they had not yet done anything as they were waiting on a firmware update which would resolve the issue. I could have done that myself.

I was surprised you use return to home so much, I barely use that on the DJI Mavic Pro and that can land on a gnats arse its so accurate. With the Typhoon H you are lucky if it lands in the same zip code.

I do think you need to hold the red button when you land though, I have never had my Typhoon H stop motors without holding the red button.

Provided you did not mention the whole smart mode, not holding the red button down thing I would ask for some good will from Yuneec on the repair work.

I appreciate and welcome the replies. I would like to think that i'm a competent pilot since having the previous drone for a little over a year and never had a single issue with tight flying. Again, i'm giving Yuneec's customer service plenty of credit.

Regarding it powering down, that's the point i said in my original post. It was on the ground, perfectly flat and level spot, i continued to hold down the controller to slow the propeller speeds and that never happened. I never touched the other controller stick. I was approximately 25 feet away from me and kept acting like it wanted to lift off again. After a few seconds of this i was a little startled and i started to approach the drone since it wouldn't power down. I'm guessing if there was user error, this is where it happened; because that's when it tried to take off, sideways and slammed into the curb.

lol and now to add insult to injury as they say, i never received the email from yuneec explaining how to retrieve the telemetry which i was told i would receive. So i looked online and found out it's simple, but i have a Mac so i'll have to find someone with a PC so i can download the telemetry.

But i did receive this email:

Dear customer,

Thank you for your recent contact with Yuneec's customer support department. This message is to inform you that your case #51053 was closed and resolved with the following solution: “Answered question.” If you feel this is incorrect, please call us at 844-898-6332 and reference your case number. We will reopen your case and ensure we provide a complete resolution.

And the number they have is disconnected... lol

Must say I am not one for using RTH as a matter of course, would always bring back home in angle mode. For me RTH is a bit of a last resort or if I have lost site of the craft. If you are flying beyond line of site you may need to re-evaluate how you are flying.

As for landing/taking off in smart mode that's a big no no.

Reactions: FlushVision
I had the same issue Monday with my telemetry files and downloaded the app 'Android File Transfer'. After that I was able to put the telemetry into a file compress it and send it to them. Hope this helps.

Reactions: concretejungle
Must say I am not one for using RTH as a matter of course, would always bring back home in angle mode. For me RTH is a bit of a last resort or if I have lost site of the craft. If you are flying beyond line of site you may need to re-evaluate how you are flying.

As for landing/taking off in smart mode that's a big no no.
I've never used RTH on my H yet, and have only ever had one RTH on a Phantom caused by a loss of control signal (twice if you count the mandatory test of the RTH function in the commercial flight test in the UK). Reserved for emergencies only in my book.

Reactions: keiths
i usually use RTH just for simplicity's sake to be honest. It's kind of a cool feature i think.

I like to watch it do it's thing.

Reactions: Jester
Once I'm in a clear area, I'd like to try RTH but I haven't tried it yet either. We have Oak trees all around from 60-65'. I'm sure if I use the GUI and set the RTH altitude with sufficient clearance, it should work assuming the H's altimeter is accurate at the time but personally I'd only try it in an emergency. I've only flown in Angle mode so far.

After landing there is a need to hold the throttle stick down until propeller speed reduces. If the spun does bot diminish, continue holding down the throttle and disarm using the red button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what i said i did. It did not shut down the spinning nor reduce the propeller speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop