Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

NO FLY ZONE FIRMWARE TEST - DOES IT WORK?

Discussion in 'Q500 4K Discussion' started by m5zealot, Sep 17, 2016.

1. m5zealot

I got my firmware update to bypass the NFZ for major airports last week. I finally got to test it. I read a thread in the H forums were the firmware still restricts drone from starting 1 miles from airports and only reach 30 feet maximum vertical height if within 3 miles. I fired off a "wtf" email to Yuneec for not telling me these details in our communication and that I had to find out thru the forums. Just got my FAA Part 107 permit and don't really want to buy a DJI product because I love my Q500 4K.

Went to test at firmware taking off from my backyard. That is San Diego International airport looking out west, less than a mile away and got up to 80 feet before bringing her back down before the drone police caught me. Aircraft land and take off south to north so my short flight did not interfere with any traffic. Prior to update, I could not even start my quad unless I was at least 5 miles away from the airport. So do I need to send an apology to Yuneec or is the restricted NFZ firmware for the H only?
    Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 2.41.28 PM.jpg

#1 m5zealot, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. Soniti1587

The Drone Police caught you? What does that mean?

3. m5zealot

Wow, someone actually responded after over a month? :) My post is saying that the NFZ firmware update does not seem to have the limitation of the H model. I have been able to start and fly my drone responsibly at least 1 miles away from our airport and higher than 30 feet. Drone police? That is part of the sense of humor I try to include in my post.

I was hoping others can chime in to see if they experienced any limitations with the firmware update but I guess the drone police got them. :(

#3 m5zealot, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  4. Soniti1587

Didn't even notice the age of it. This forum seems a little less active, though it might have been the tags in your post that put it in my view; I haven't gone past like page 2.

m5zealot likes this.
  5. Luis Arruda

Where do you get this NFZ restriction lifted update

6. KBflyer

The Q500 firmware is different then the Typhoon H firmware as it has no restrictions
    You where correct about the Typhoon H NFZ firmware as it does indeed restrict you to 30 feet. Pretty much useless unless you just want to test flight your H.

7. Luis Arruda

I wanted to know how to get the update for my q500 4k

8. KBflyer

You can call Yuneec USA and ask for the updated firmware. They will send you a waiver and you will need to sign it and send it back. They will then issue you the firmware.
    Not sure how it is done in the EU.

9. Luis Arruda

Not from EU ...Im from Canada

10. KBflyer

I sent you a private message did you get it?

11. m5zealot

Thanks for confirming! Yes, I have been able to fly my Q500 - safely anywhere since the update. I used to have to drive 25 miles out of my city to fly. Now, I'm able to fly at two flying clubs which are only 3 miles from the major airport. These areas are within 5 miles of my home so I'm flying more now.

12. m5zealot

Hope you got your answer - sorry for late reply. Been very busy.