Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No fly zones USA typhoon H firmware

Reaction score
I just got my Typhoon H and was testing and making sure all actions worked properly before mounting props. and found that it would not start. I then noticed that while booting up a warning came on screen about in a no fly zone...... i didnt realize until the motors wont even start if that warning is displayed. I am actually between 4.8 - 5 mi from the airport.
Further reading I know know that I cant fly it at my own home..... unless Yuneec has a firmware update to allow this. I know you can request an FAA exception to do this..... but this wont help if my Typhoon H was even start.....

Why isnt this in all the reviews, checklists and advertisements before you spend $1500 ? or more..... Typical big co. misleading advertising. you have to be looking for this......

If you have past the 107 test Yuneec can give you an override code. I know they do advertise that you can't fly in restriced air space

You don't have to pass the 107 to override the No-Fly zones. You just need to call them, explain the situation. They will immediately (while you are still on the phone with them) send you a form to fill out which basically indemnifies them from anything stupid you do. You fill it out, scan it and email it back to them. Within about 10-15 min, you receive another email containing a file with instructions. You'll load the file into the GUI software and then install it. You will then have new buttons in the GUI that let you disable the No-Fly Zones or Enable them. You then connect your H to the PC, select Disable No-Fly Zones and save. Then you're good.

In my case, I fly a lot at an AMA sanctioned Model Aircraft airport that is just 2.5 miles form a Class D airport. This would normally be a No-Fly Zone according to Yuneec's maps but now I can fly there without a problem.

You don't have to pass the 107 to override the No-Fly zones. You just need to call them, explain the situation. They will immediately (while you are still on the phone with them) send you a form to fill out which basically indemnifies them from anything stupid you do. You fill it out, scan it and email it back to them. Within about 10-15 min, you receive another email containing a file with instructions. You'll load the file into the GUI software and then install it. You will then have new buttons in the GUI that let you disable the No-Fly Zones or Enable them. You then connect your H to the PC, select Disable No-Fly Zones and save. Then you're good.

In my case, I fly a lot at an AMA sanctioned Model Aircraft airport that is just 2.5 miles form a Class D airport. This would normally be a No-Fly Zone according to Yuneec's maps but now I can fly there without a problem.
Does it restrict height? Can you still climb to 400ft?

Bill W.

No height restriction. It completely eliminates the no-fly zones. The model airport has a posted height restriction in line with the FAA rules of 400'

It is interesting how the AMA sanctioned fields have different height restrictions (this is a good thing). I think the public needs to stop calling Quads/Hex/Octos drones, and call them RC aircraft. Guys that fly Helos are called Helicopters not drones even though they can perform just like the H can.

Reactions: Ralph
Hi everyone

Thanks for the info listed above. I did just call them but are still closed for the holiday. I left a message and am waiting for a return call or email.

I am also a AMA member and build and fly Helicopters, Planes and EDF Jets Its funny that there is nothing mentioned anywhere about this for the Typhoon H. There is for the DJI birds on Youtube. Maybe after i talk to them I will make a video and post it on the process it they allow me

Also i do agree with Bob on the use of the word Drone. I prefer to use what they are Helicopters, Planes and EDF Jets and will now not use the word Drone anymore...... besides the word Drone has received bad press....

Its a standard form. If you would like I can send you the form and the instructions i received from them. PM me your email address.

It is interesting how the AMA sanctioned fields have different height restrictions (this is a good thing). I think the public needs to stop calling Quads/Hex/Octos drones, and call them RC aircraft. Guys that fly Helos are called Helicopters not drones even though they can perform just like the H can.

Bob,

AMA sanctioned fields not not have different height restrictions, they simply reference the law correctly. Anyone flying as a hobby the follows the guidelines of a national community based organization falls under that umbrella, be they flying an airplane, helicopter, or multirotor. Commercial activities fall under a different set of rules and are more restricted.

The issue isn't that AMA fields are different, the issue is that a great many multirotor fliers are completely ignorant of the rules and believe anything they read on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received the form from Yuneec CS and filled it out with the required info and and sent back to YUNEEC and now just waiting for the firmware patch as requested. Based on the info I got from CS it will still restrict you within 1 mile of airport/NFZ

just curious ho long it takes them to get the Firmware to me..... i hope no longer than 24 hrs.

I don't much care for the concept of allowing just anyone to remove NFZ/airport restrictions. Far too many put their exuberance ahead of flight safety and will fly anywhere, any time, with zero consideration for the safety of others. Most have no comprehension of airport traffic patterns or approach/departure profiles. Because you can does not mean you should. 400' within a mile or less of an airport could easily put a multirotor right in front of a manned aircraft.

Check you spam folders maybe it ended up there because of the attached file.

I HAVE ALREADY LOOKED IN MY SPAM FOLDER....... sorry for the caps

On the Topic of anyone unlocking....... Well I partly agree..... first not enough upfront warning in advertising and Marketing until you get the Typhoon unboxed and wanting to test..... and find out it does not work..... $1500 already spent then you findout....

It is on the consumer..... to do it right..... I KNOW.....HAHA

In My mind We need to do more to make the Public aware.... of the laws and rules locally...... not enough attention is giving in the manuals of any RC aircraft.....

I take it back to where if someone wants to do something it's their responsibility to learn what they can about an activity or product before buying. Toss in the level of media and government attention for the past couple years and it becomes almost impossible to be incognizant of the factors in play. I don't see any way a person can tangle with manned aviation while flying a multirotor, get hauled into jail and then court, and use a "I didn't know that" defense. They might get away with some unsafe stuff for awhile, but not for very long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33