Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No fly zones USA typhoon H firmware

So part of what bothers me about this is I have a client requesting images and video of his business and facility at a local airport. So even with an approved exemption from the FAA I still would not be able to complete this job for my client with a Yuneec Product.

Are you part 107 certificated? If you are then you can request the 30 ft limit to be removed.

Are you part 107 certificated? If you are then you can request the 30 ft limit to be removed.

The 30 foot I'm not overly concerned with, it's the no closer than 1 mile. It would be nice to be able to work with GPS engaged but considering the amount of work I would expect to complete at the airport it isn't a giant concern other than being a bit more limited on my weather windows due to coastal winds. Flying no GPS in anything about 5-7mph is challenging to say the least when working in a somewhat confined space around structures.

The 30 foot I'm not overly concerned with, it's the no closer than 1 mile. It would be nice to be able to work with GPS engaged but considering the amount of work I would expect to complete at the airport it isn't a giant concern other than being a bit more limited on my weather windows due to coastal winds. Flying no GPS in anything about 5-7mph is challenging to say the least when working in a somewhat confined space around structures.
The 1 mile restriction is removed if you are 107 certificated. I flew on airport property today. I was inside the hanger, but still had GPS signal.

Reactions: ToToMcJoe
The 1 mile restriction is removed if you are 107 certificated. I flew on airport property today. I was inside the hanger, but still had GPS signal.

I'll try the other number that was posted about Typhoon H Specific support tomorrow. Maybe they will have the right option for me like they did you.

30 ft AGL? I think your mistaken and I've also spoken to two different CS Reps today who have me the same story of it is no longer necessary to do anything other than download and reinstall the new firmware. I have not gotten to verify this yet so if someone is near a PC with their H and wants to verify that would be awesome.

I have the No-Fly Zones unlocked on my "H". I fly at a Model Aircraft airport that is 2.5 miles from a class D airport. I am not restricted to 30' AGL. The Model Aircraft airport rules allow up to 400' AGL and I can fly that high.

You don't have to be part 107 to get the no fly zones removed. recreational pilots have the same rules as part 107. the difference is that you need part 107 to fly commercially.

Reactions: AbdulMateen7
I have the No-Fly Zones unlocked on my "H". I fly at a Model Aircraft airport that is 2.5 miles from a class D airport. I am not restricted to 30' AGL. The Model Aircraft airport rules allow up to 400' AGL and I can fly that high.

You don't have to be part 107 to get the no fly zones removed. recreational pilots have the same rules as part 107. the difference is that you need part 107 to fly commercially.

I was just repeating what I was told by Yuneec. They wouldn't unlock until I sent them my 107 certificate. Here's a screen shot of the email

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 6.31.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 6.31.08 AM.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Typhoon H Complete No Fly Removal Instructions.pdf
    627.6 KB · Views: 63
They will send you a waiver form to fill out in lieu of any certification. Their only concern (and rightfully so) is that they are indemnified from any liability in case you do something stupid. It doesn't require a 107 cert but they will take it. I don't blame them. In this litigious society (especially in California) people sue manufacturers for things done with their products. You've heard the saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Well there will be someone who will sue a gun maker saying, yes, but if the gun didn't exist, that person would still be alive. Even frivolous lawsuits cost companies millions.

But, again, just to be clear, a part 107 cert isn't required. Just fill out a waiver form that they will email you if you ask.

They will send you a waiver form to fill out in lieu of any certification. Their only concern (and rightfully so) is that they are indemnified from any liability in case you do something stupid. It doesn't require a 107 cert but they will take it. I don't blame them. In this litigious society (especially in California) people sue manufacturers for things done with their products. You've heard the saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Well there will be someone who will sue a gun maker saying, yes, but if the gun didn't exist, that person would still be alive. Even frivolous lawsuits cost companies millions.

But, again, just to be clear, a part 107 cert isn't required. Just fill out a waiver form that they will email you if you ask.

In my case the waiver did the partial unlock. I was required to send in my 107 certificate to do the 100% unlock. I'm just relaying my experience and the documentation I received from Yuneec. Again, the waiver unlock everything up to 1 mile and 30' AGL. I was told by two different reps that the 107 certificate is required for 100% unlock.

The best thing to do is call Yuneec.

I guess it depends on who you talk to. My experience was different. It's fair to say "Your Mileage May Vary"

Hobbyists do not have the same rules as a commercial operator. I don't have time to write all the differences, 336 and 107 spell them out anyway, but one example is the 400' rule. Commercial operators are limited to 400' all the time unless flying for hire within 400' of a higher structure that is being filmed. Hobbyists flying under the guidelines of a community based organization do not have a 400' rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BlackHawk
Hobbyists do not have the same rules as a commercial operator. I don't have time to write all the differences, 336 and 107 spell them out anyway, but one example is the 400' rule. Commercial operators are limited to 400' all the time unless flying for hire within 400' of a higher structure that is being filmed. Hobbyists flying under the guidelines of a community based organization do not have a 400' rule.

Well, PatR, I disagree with that conclusion. When you register your drone as a hobbyist, you certify on the form that you will fly below 400' along with other FAA "rules". This is directly from the form:

FAA Acknowledgments of Safety Guidance (Check All) *
I will fly below 400 feet
I will fly within visual line of sight
I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: www.faa.gov/go/uastfr
I will not fly directly over people
I will not fly over stadiums and sports events
I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports
I will not fly under the influence

You agree to do that on the form, it is not a binding agreement as there is no law that has been incorporated into the CFR's to bind it. There is also no penalty specified for breaching the agreement aside from careless and reckless operation, which any reasonable person would not position themselves for violation.

BTW, you agree to that "condition" twice in the registration process. If hobbyists were actually bound by that agreement virtually every AMA competition event could not be run. Even the FAA permits "violating" that agreement if flying within the safety guidelines if a national community based organization. Add to that a hobbyists needs only notify airport management if flying within 3-5 miles of an airport, a commercial operator MUST obtain an FAA waiver, in order to possess specific approval.

I suppose you could look at it that way as well. Another word for agreement is contract. And I'm sure that if the FAA could use that agreement/contract against you in a court of law.

As a licensed Helicopter pilot, I also understand that the FAA recreational drone guidelines are not laws. Nor do I feel that model aircraft should be or is within their purview. However, I certainly don't have the funds to fight the FAA in court and I'm sure that this is what they count on. So in my view, realistically, for all intents and purposes, for the average Joe, the rules are the same. Anyway, you and I have our opinions and they may differ.

Getting back on point, the rep that I worked with at Yuneec did not require a part 107 to remove restrictions. Of course there is still the 3.1 firmware restriction of 400' and that can be overcome as well by rolling back autopilot.

I'm only licensed commercial single/multi engine IFR fixed wing;)

Yes Typhoon H will not do a motor start at 1 mile from airport..... even with the No Fly Zone firmware unlock..... that is 1 thing I dont like...... I am surprise there is not more push back on this issue....

Im curious, I just spoke to Yuneec CS about this exact issue about altering the fixed 400 foot altitude and the Airport Lockout. I mentioned this form and was told none of this is necessary. I was instructed to re download the firmware I have installed currently and reinstall it again. She said it is the same firmware number but has the restrictions removed. I currently have zero issues with my H other than the restrictions so Im a little uneasy about reinstalling the firmware, especially when you guys all say you had to go about removing the restrictions in a totally different way. Anyone have thoughts?

Does the restrictions you mention include the NFZ lock-Unlock..?.... because I had to fill out the form and get another Typhoon H ID form Yuneec for the GUI slofware to have NFZ unlock........ ?

I'm feeling a whole lot of time and effort is being spent in this thread looking for ways to enable amateurs to fly close to airports.

Personally, I don't think amateurs have a legitimate need to fly close to an airport until conclusively establishing they are cognizant of full scale traffic patterns, for each specific airport, and deconfliction procedures. There's a tremendous difference between a want and a need, and those that simply want should practice a little self denial. This stuff is not a video game.

It was mentioned on Facebook that the Reps from Yuneec at ces 2017 said all Yuneec firmware will not have the NFZ in it anymore. This is coming from Facebook so take or leave it.

Pat I agree with you.... want vs need should have a little more thought...... My only reason is to test and verify my H at my home which inside a NFZ but much more than 1 mile. I am in the process studying and preparing for my 107 UAS test.

I'm only licensed commercial single/multi engine IFR fixed wing;)

Is that all? Slacker! You know us helicopter pilots us IFR too (I Follow Roads). ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeedentclinic