Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

obstacle avoidance not available

This guy demonstrates obstacle avoidance and flies with landing gear down and low to the ground, and makes no mention of ST16 in advance mode.

Because I have not tested this feature yet since its return from CS, what is the procedure to get this working as it seems I have heard different opinions, please share your experience in getting this to work.

See my post 6 cells up in this thread

Reactions: Sparkorc
Hi Guys / flight test today as promised on the new euro version firmware ( re: obstacle avoidance not working after firmware update )
I have to report the bad news, as the optical avoidance does not work at all on my unit / I flew the H on all modes and with landing gear up and down at head height it does not back away from me when I approach it I nearly got a free haircut, I've decided to take mine to yuneec repair depot in Germany as I've had a bad experience in the passed with the UK office in Barnet north London.
I cant fly to Germany until next week.
so I'm going to roll back the firmware to the previous version when every thing worked well.
Regards to you all / I'll keep watching the posts and comments guys.

Sorry to hear that Jon. Good luck with Yuneec Customer Service. I've dealt with them in the past for my Q500 4K and they are very responsive.

Hi Guys its me again / I've rolled back and re installed the previous firmware and GUESS WHAT EVERY THING WORKS AGAIN.
I just have to wait for the camera to connect to the ST16 just under 4 minutes, OS works in all modes now with landing gear down or up, so I'm not going to bother with any more firmware updates unless its some kind of legal requirement that has to be done.

I've been there to the Barnet office twice now and had a wasted journey, but I have been told that the customer service is very good now / as it was a long time ago when I went there.
But Germany's office is such a good experience and they always have the parts like batteries chargers so I stick with them for that reason and when you order its no more then 4 days before the delivery arrives.

Hi Guys / flight test today as promised on the new euro version firmware ( re: obstacle avoidance not working after firmware update )
I have to report the bad news, as the optical avoidance does not work at all on my unit / I flew the H on all modes and with landing gear up and down at head height it does not back away from me when I approach it I nearly got a free haircut, I've decided to take mine to yuneec repair depot in Germany as I've had a bad experience in the passed with the UK office in Barnet north London.
I cant fly to Germany until next week.
so I'm going to roll back the firmware to the previous version when every thing worked well.
Regards to you all / I'll keep watching the posts and comments guys.

As I have only just received my H back from Yuneec UK CS and as one of the faults was no optical avoidance and they said that they have cured all my faults, whilst it was away they have updated the all the firmware, so hoping to see if the optical avoidance now works tomorrow, this is going to be interesting as you have said since the update yours no longer works, when you upgraded your firmware did you stick with EU or standard because at the moment my H has EU firmware installed as you would expect from Yuneec UK CS, I don't wish to change to standard firmware until I have checked all of my previous issues are gone, hopefully I'll let you know tomorrow if the optical avoidance works or not.

As I have only just received my H back from Yuneec UK CS and as one of the faults was no optical avoidance and they said that they have cured all my faults, whilst it was away they have updated the all the firmware, so hoping to see if the optical avoidance now works tomorrow, this is going to be interesting as you have said since the update yours no longer works, when you upgraded your firmware did you stick with EU or standard because at the moment my H has EU firmware installed as you would expect from Yuneec UK CS, I don't wish to change to standard firmware until I have checked all of my previous issues are gone, hopefully I'll let you know tomorrow if the optical avoidance works or not.

Ok that sounds cool / It will be interesting to see if the OA works on your H now that yuneec has updated the firmware themselves / I did update the firmware with the european and thats when my troubles started I've given up now as I have rolled back the firmware to the one the was in the H when I purchased it, and I flew it today after the roll back on the H and the ST16 and low and behold every thing is working fine now / I just have to wait longer for the camera to connect .
Ok hope all goes well with your test flight tomorrow / happy flying

Reactions: Sparkorc
When you say Optical Avoidance, are you talking about RealSense? Or did you mean Obstacle Avoidance? The former can be enabled/disabled in the ST16 under Settings -- if your bird has RealSense, make sure the "RealSense installed" checkbox is checked.

Doesnt the landing gear need to be in the up position for the obstacle avoidance to activate? Dont why for some reason I read that somewhere.
YES --- In testing last evening, the H has to have its landing gear UP for OBS to work. This is absolutely a change from previous firmware. This should have been documented and it also appears that perhaps the CS reps aren't aware of the change as they were going to have me ship it in, then said it's a firmware issue. Also, the OBS will continue to work down to ground level. The only issue I'm seeing now is that while the connection to Camera takes a minute, once connected there's latency between the H and the remote for about 3 minutes before it becomes "real-time" again. I.e. image being displayed is about 15-20 seconds behind what the H is doing. This clears up after about 3 minutes or so. I may try re-binding. Anyone else experience this?

Ok that sounds cool / It will be interesting to see if the OA works on your H now that yuneec has updated the firmware themselves / I did update the firmware with the european and thats when my troubles started I've given up now as I have rolled back the firmware to the one the was in the H when I purchased it, and I flew it today after the roll back on the H and the ST16 and low and behold every thing is working fine now / I just have to wait longer for the camera to connect .

Pleased to report it does work with the latest firmware EU update I only managed to test with the undercarriage up and in angle mode, advanced mode off, tested at about 8ft altitude, not sure if the throttle rate slider was in rabbit or tortoise !

How did you do the roll-back on both units? Was it as simple as putting the old firmware on the cards and proceeding with the upgrade process?

Right, I think when you are powering everything on you are leaving the OBS switch in the ON position. It won't turn on unless in flight (don't attempt switching it on until you are in the air).

Now I have not tried mine so I can't confirm if it's just a simple user error (i.e., trying to turn on while not in flight) or there is an actual glitch in the firmware update. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Hi CAPTAIN how is the your test result

Last edited:
Well done guys, I'm going to try the last two comments to day if the weather clears up / I must admit I didn't have the ST16 in advanced mode after the firmware up date, maybe that's the problem although yuneec never mentioned that on the phone.

Im Not sure about the differences between the United States firmware and the Europe firmware but everything is worth trying, other wise its going to be a trip to Germany for repair. .
If I get to fly today I'll post to night / Thankyou Guys.
Thanks JON

Reactions: jon
This guy demonstrates obstacle avoidance and flies with landing gear down and low to the ground, and makes no mention of ST16 in advance mode.

Because I have not tested this feature yet since its return from CS, what is the procedure to get this working as it seems I have heard different opinions, please share your experience in getting this to work.

This video is before the firmware update

When you say Optical Avoidance, are you talking about RealSense? Or did you mean Obstacle Avoidance? The former can be enabled/disabled in the ST16 under Settings -- if your bird has RealSense, make sure the "RealSense installed" checkbox is checked.

Hi Yes we are talking about obstacle avoidance / not the real sense

Please confirm what the latest firmware is. OA not working and if I'm in Smart mode, the controls except up/down are backwards. Still operating in mode 2. ??

I had this problem also. My St16 would not boot and all would stop with an OBS. error. I called Yuneec they led me through a detailed clear and reset of the St16. Fixed in a few minutes. Tech said it was a glitch in the firmware that they addressing in the next update.

Hello Gyro108, I am in Austria and I fly also in Northern Italy (Alto Adige). Had the same problem with "OA not available"; yes: it is true - it perfectly works with landing gear up and copter in the air. So, what I do is start the copter, let it hover about 9 feet, legs up, OA on - and there is our little green light! Working perfectly, thanks for instructions! Sigi

It's good to hear that others have the sane issue wish obstacle avoidance not working below 9ft.

But, why is the OBS switch a 3 position switch? Shouldn't it just be pin or off?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cosmoarts