Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Part 107 explanation ?!

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

When I go online to apply for part 107 shows I have to pay $5 to register my drone, after that I need take a pilot test? Because I saw an sample of the questions about near airport calculations and etc. Really? To fly my drone just to take pictures of realstate I need to do this test? Or they have another easy test?

Sorry for any dumb thing... :)

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: ToddL

If you are flying recreationally you are not allowed to fly within 150 ft of any property not under your control or within 450 ft of built-up or congested areas, so if you are using the craft for real-estate, even if you have permission to get close to the building you are photographing, flights will still be illegal if you are within 150 ft of anyone else's property, or in any large residential area, which would likely be viewed as 'a congested area' by the FAA...

Reactions: Marcius1979
You cannot apply for the 107 online, you can find study material for it online however. The actual test will be at an FAA approved testing facility in your area and costs 150.00 whether you pass or fail. Registration for a 107 pilot is 5 dollars per aircraft while registration for a hobbyist is 5 dollars and covers all of their aircraft. Commercial operation is defined by the FAA as ANY activities that are performed in the furtherance of ANY business. So if you want to fly a drone and use its pictures or video to support your business or someone else's, you will need to take the 107 exam.

The good news is it can be done but; it is not something you can just study for a day or two and take unfortunately. It is a comprehensive and deep test that requires a lot of studying and focus. Many pilots pay hundreds of dollars (in addition to the test fees) to take on-line courses - just to study for the test but; it can be passed via self study. ALL of the information to study and pass the test can be found on the FAA website.

My advice would be to go to the website and read - its all there in black and white as they say.;)

If you are flying recreationally you are not allowed to fly within 150 ft of any property not under your control or within 450 ft of built-up or congested areas, so if you are using the craft for real-estate, even if you have permission to get close to the building you are photographing, flights will still be illegal if you are within 150 ft of anyone else's property, or in any large residential area, which would likely be viewed as 'a congested area' by the FAA...

Actually here in the states the rules are slightly different than UK, though I don't know your rules to the letter. ;) I am 107 and a real estate photographer here in the states and our rules do not prohibit us from being near property in general but do define our take off and landing points. For instance when I am shooting a house in a neighborhood here in Florida I am often times within 20 feet of neighboring houses as part of the job. I just make sure not to be on the other property or fly over it or point the camera at it.

So I have to do the test, to know about calculations of near airport etc etc? All the stuff we don't need, right?

Thanks

Actually here in the states the rules are slightly different than UK, though I don't know your rules to the letter. ;) I am 107 and a real estate photographer here in the states and our rules do not prohibit us from being near property in general but do define our take off and landing points. For instance when I am shooting a house in a neighborhood here in Florida I am often times within 20 feet of neighboring houses as part of the job. I just make sure not to be on the other property or fly over it or point the camera at it.

I'm in the US also. South Florida... I just think the test have a lot stuff we don't need to know. But if this is the only way... I have to do it!

Thanks

Reactions: Ty Pilot
@Marcius1979 the test is essentially much of the kind of stuff you must learn to get a pilot's license. In particular they want you to have a detailed understanding of Airspace in the US and how it all works. In addition, you will have a greater understanding of weather, how to read aeronautical charts, understand operation around airports and how the aviation world functions in general. It also is gives one a broader perspective as to their responsibilities as a drone operator since we are operating in the air. I wasn't trying to over sell the test or anything but if you go into it with a serious mindset, you'll be fine. Good Luck.

I'm a private pilot myself, yes it seems ridiculous to know some of the rules and regulations to obtain your 107, but, you'll appreciate what we pilots have to go through to actually fly, and especially those who fly sophisticated and heavies.:cool:
The 107 questions is tiny fraction of info that is required compared to actually getting a pilots license.
It's all about SAFETY and Responsibility!:)
Unfortunately we have people who look like this flying around>o_O:eek::oops:

Last edited:

Yep - my bad - sorry - I sometimes misremember what is US and what is UK :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alvaro