Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Part 107

Reaction score
Ok. I'm a bit confused here. In the us and I'm not a pilot but have the part 107. Can I legally charge for photos and such? Any help ladies and gentlemen?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

If you have a 107 and didn't already know the answer to your question, how did you get the 107 and why did you apply for one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did mine on line about 6 months ago.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Really? It wasn't even available till Aug 29, 2016. And, unless it is just the rider to an existing pilot's license, it's not available online?

If you are not a pilot and only completed the online test, you are not 107 certified. To use that method you must also be a certificated pilot with a license that is current in type/class. You've only completed the easy, free part. You still have an aeronautical knowledge test in front of you that must be taken at an approved FAA testing center.

Now you know why I asked my question.

Not really. As so often happens, people obtain information but don't fully research it. The early press releases suggested people only had to take a test and passing that test received a remote pilot certificate. If you were a licensed pilot that sufficed. If you were't a licensed pilot and uninformed you might think you were legal to fly commercial.

There's a lesson in "due diligence" here. Also one in learning aviation rules and law. Simply passing a written test does not mean you know anything besides how to pass a test.

By the way, people use the term pilot's license. The FAA has never issued a license. They issue certificates. The difference is that a license expires, but a certificate doesn't. It is valid until surrendered suspended or revoked. I used to work for the FAA and this is one thing they always wanted us to emphasize to the public. A person is certificated by the FAA not licensed.

Just to clear things up. If you are a certificated pilot of a manned aircraft and you have a current flight review (required every two years), you can take an online exam to get your Part 107. Then, after you pass the online exam you must make an appointment with your local FSDO (FAA) and complete the paper work for a Part 107 certificate. A month or two later, you will receive your office Part 107 certificate in the mail. It will look something like a drivers license with FAA markings and such. If you are a manned pilot, you will hold two different certificates (plastic cards) in your wallet. One for Part 107 and one for manned aircraft.

Now if you are not a manned certificated pilot with a current flight review, you must pass an FAA exam that is administered at an FAA designated testing facility. This exam is for the remote pilot, and you will need to know many of the same things that a manned pilot needs to know. You can study on your own, or you can buy a course online or via DVD. In fact, our company, Terrestrial Imaging currently has a free online practice test system that is very helpful in getting you prepared for the real exam. You can sign up for free at Terrestrial Imaging Drone Sales, Service and Repair | FAA Part 107 Practice Test Engine | Part 107 Exam Review Login.

So I hope this clears things up for everyone. The online test is only good for manned pilots who have a current flight review. Everyone else must study for, and pass the FAA knowledge test for the remote pilot. You can still take any of the online exams but the only one that will count is the exam you take and the FAA testing facility.

......don't be afraid of it. The knowledge you gain from studying and passing the test is well worth having.

Just to clear things up. If you are a certificated pilot of a manned aircraft and you have a current flight review (required every two years), you can take an online exam to get your Part 107. Then, after you pass the online exam you must make an appointment with your local FSDO (FAA) and complete the paper work for a Part 107 certificate. A month or two later, you will receive your office Part 107 certificate in the mail. It will look something like a drivers license with FAA markings and such. If you are a manned pilot, you will hold two different certificates (plastic cards) in your wallet. One for Part 107 and one for manned aircraft.

Now if you are not a manned certificated pilot with a current flight review, you must pass an FAA exam that is administered at an FAA designated testing facility. This exam is for the remote pilot, and you will need to know many of the same things that a manned pilot needs to know. You can study on your own, or you can buy a course online or via DVD. In fact, our company, Terrestrial Imaging currently has a free online practice test system that is very helpful in getting you prepared for the real exam. You can sign up for free at Terrestrial Imaging Drone Sales, Service and Repair | FAA Part 107 Practice Test Engine | Part 107 Exam Review Login.

So I hope this clears things up for everyone. The online test is only good for manned pilots who have a current flight review. Everyone else must study for, and pass the FAA knowledge test for the remote pilot. You can still take any of the online exams but the only one that will count is the exam you take and the FAA testing facility.

......don't be afraid of it. The knowledge you gain from studying and passing the test is well worth having.

And please keep it mind, you are still bound by FAA regulations. Just because you have a 107 certificate, you can't fly over people, fly over 400 feet, State and Federal parks etc....Of course there are exceptions like having permission or giving notice to a control tower or State agency for commercial work. Just putting that out there because I have spoken to a few pilots who seemed to think other wise.

Also passing the test does not guarantee you will get a certificate if you for any reason don't pass the TSA vetting process too. Hopefully no one in here is on a terrorist watch list or have something in their record to disqualify you from getting your license.

By the way, people use the term pilot's license. The FAA has never issued a license. They issue certificates. The difference is that a license expires, but a certificate doesn't. It is valid until surrendered suspended or revoked. I used to work for the FAA and this is one thing they always wanted us to emphasize to the public. A person is certificated by the FAA not licensed.
Aftet reading your comment, i am confused why my Part 107 needs to be renewed every few years if it is as you say a certificate. You are saying a certificate doesn't expire however my 107 expires. Are you sure you are stating that correctly. Because as I read your comment, my part 107 remote pilot certificate never expires.

Aftet reading your comment, i am confused why my Part 107 needs to be renewed every few years if it is as you say a certificate. You are saying a certificate doesn't expire however my 107 expires. Are you sure you are stating that correctly. Because as I read your comment, my part 107 remote pilot certificate never expires.

In manned aviation, you earn a pilots certificate that is good for life (unless you do something to get it revoked). In order to exercise the privileges that go with the pilots license, every two years you must demonstrate your skills, competency and knowledge to a CFI (FAA certified flight instructor). Once your CFI signs your logbook stating that he/she is satisfied with your knowledge and skills, you are good for another two years. In manned aviation, you also need to have an FAA designated doctor sign off that you are in good health - every two years. So to fly, you need to jump through a few hoops every two years (it seems that they are trying to do away with the medical exam for non commercial pilots).

So what does this have to do with remote pilots. Well, the FAA has taken a lot from the manned pilot rule books. That said, you earn a remote pilot certificate for life but you will have to demonstrate that your knowledge is current and relevant every two years. Since the remote pilot certificate is new as of August of 2016, no one has yet gone through the "every two year review process". I suspect that the review process will continue to change until the end of July 2018 when the first of us have to go get our remote pilot flight review.

So to repeat....the certificate is good for life but you will have to go through a review every two years to demonstrate that your knowledge is current and relevant. What that process exactly is we will find out in about a year and a half from now.

I should suggest, it would be wise to keep accurate log books of each and every flight as this might help speed you through the review process when the time comes.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
In manned aviation, you earn a pilots certificate that is good for life (unless you do something to get it revoked). In order to exercise the privileges that go with the pilots license, every two years you must demonstrate your skills, competency and knowledge to a CFI (FAA certified flight instructor). Once your CFI signs your logbook stating that he/she is satisfied with your knowledge and skills, you are good for another two years. In manned aviation, you also need to have an FAA designated doctor sign off that you are in good health - every two years. So to fly, you need to jump through a few hoops every two years (it seems that they are trying to do away with the medical exam for non commercial pilots).

So what does this have to do with remote pilots. Well, the FAA has taken a lot from the manned pilot rule books. That said, you earn a remote pilot certificate for life but you will have to demonstrate that your knowledge is current and relevant every two years. Since the remote pilot certificate is new as of August of 2016, no one has yet gone through the "every two year review process". I suspect that the review process will continue to change until the end of July 2018 when the first of us have to go get our remote pilot flight review.

So to repeat....the certificate is good for life but you will have to go through a review every two years to demonstrate that your knowledge is current and relevant. What that process exactly is we will find out in about a year and a half from now.

I should suggest, it would be wise to keep accurate log books of each and every flight as this might help speed you through the review process when the time comes.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks for clearing that up Chris. I have been flying back and forth to Japan and then my dad passed away and haven't had a chance to get on here lately.

I agree with keeping logbooks of your flights utilizing the Part 107 certificate.

One thing I wanted to address about your post is that pilot physical is no longer required for a third cIass medical. As long as you have had a medical in the last 10 years you only need to have a exam by your family physician every 4 years. I still have to a first class medical, but for GA it's great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval