Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Post your results of the 11-16-2016 firmware here.

Tell us about your experience with this update.

• I have installed the 11/16/2016 firmware.

Votes: 125 74.4%
  • I used the auto update using the ST16 menu.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I have flown following the update and everything seems to work as expected.

Votes: 82 48.8%
  • After updating I have a new problem.

Votes: 43 25.6%
  • The landing seems to have improved with this update.

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • I like the new accelerometer calibration.

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • I have tried the new muti ST16 connection to the camera.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I don't plan to install this update.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • It bricked my H

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters
That's OK. We did add a note into the Help Sticky about this. My wish is that Yuneec would come up with an easier way to do the compass calibrations. The compass calibration technique for the Wizard is also a dinger.

For some reason I get nervous every time I fly my H. I never had that feeling with my first two Yuneec products but after these updates I'm afraid to fly too far until I'm sure it's stable and performing ok. After last update, which I downloaded without any problems, I took it out and did the calibrations . I started it up and waited a few then took it straight up and watched the lights to see if it was stable . Seemed ok so I moved it left and right a little bit then noticed I was getting a blinking orange light. Figured I had lost GPS so I brought it down and got it to land ok. Next day I went to a local park and redid the GPS calibration with no issues. Went home and tried another flight. Went straight up again and it was perfectly stable. Let go of the throttle and it flew perfectly still. Brought it down for a slow perfect landing and let it sit for about 20 seconds, then flew staight up again and turned it around a little. I then noticed what I thought was a mild drift to the left. I brought it down to around 10 ft from ground and sure enough it was drifting to the left. I did get it to land but it was a task. I just don't understand what happens with the calibrations from one moment it's fine, then the next it's not. I'm not afraid of a flyoff as much as I'm afraid it might fly away hit some house miles away. Anyone else get those same feelings. I guess I'll try another accelometer calibration and see if that works. And also after I got it landed and was walking up to turn it off my St16 started vibrating. I looked down at it but had no warnings, just a vibration that went away.

Finally had a decent day to fly after the firmware update.. and after doing the calibrations - it flies and lands fine. Also bootup time, pretty much instant now.

I understand your belief, but Yuneec has (officially) told us that whether the gimbal/camera is on or off, the compass calibration is not affected.
Some owners have damaged the gimbal while performing the compass calibration.

I usually put on the gimbal lock when doing compass calibration. Noticed little bit of grunt from the Theta axis but the calibration ritual is over in like 20 seconds.

I usually put on the gimbal lock when doing compass calibration. Noticed little bit of grunt from the Theta axis but the calibration ritual is over in like 20 seconds.
I would not ever put on the gimbal lock with the gimbal powered up.

The latest FW works a treat for me. Zero issues (other than a sticky Roll axis gimbal on the ST16 which needs to be moved around prior to power up)

We got our first snow in the mountains yesterday. I got 4 good flights in before it got crazy windy and everything went well. The D pad cruise control created a very nice smooth flyover of cholla cactus forest at eye level. At this point, my biggest beef is with the sunshade as it needs a better way to secure it. I'm playing with that today. I'm also contemplating adding some color to the body as even with a spotter when you get out past 800' feet away horizontally it can be tough to keep VLOS against the backdrop of nature here. Anyone have any suggestions? The Nav lights are useless in daylight in this scenario. You realize how small this thing really is when you push for horizontal low straight fly outs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The latest FW works a treat for me. Zero issues (other than a sticky Roll axis gimbal on the ST16 which needs to be moved around prior to power up)

You should post that in the Photos/Videos section of the forum - there are some lovely shots in that video.

Latest update on my issues, CS quickly got back to me and asked me to reset the ST16, then calibrate, bind and test fly the TH.

So I did a full reset (after copying all the files onto my computer first) and calibrated all the controls, then did the rebinding, and calibration of compass, accelerometer and gimbal in the usual way with no metal influences near and mobile phone turned off. When both of my batteries and the handset were fully charged, I went to the flying field (a local school sports field) and initially all seemed well.

After I switched on, I left the TH sitting on the ground for several minutes after the ST16 linked with it, because I have noticed on various blogs and sites that some people say that it takes several minutes for the satellite catalogues to download so it is safer not to lift straight off after doing updates, although I have noticed others do not subscribe to that view. But better to be safe than sorry, eh?

I then started motors and took off in a hover at about 4-5 feet for a minute or so and all seem to be ok, although the machine was a bit jumpier than I am used to. But it was controllable all the same and not really an issue. I then landed and let the motors tick over for a second or two before taking off again in order to do some lazy circuits and figure eights. About 150 feet horizontally from me, the TH suddenly shot up to 70-80 feet altitude from the 10-15 feet I was flying at, and started to shoot all over the sky although by that time I had let go of both sticks. Opposite stick seemed to do little at first so I put it into RTH to see what would happen as it was heading towards the school and road in a zig zag pattern. RTH had no effect that I could detect, and the throttle stick had no effect whatsoever so it stayed at about 70 feet altitude.

I put it back into angle mode, because by that time I thought it had probably lost GPS lock and shortly afterwards it suddenly went into a sort of hover but the motors were pulsing about once a second and the machine was shooting up 20-40 feet then dropping down again (I have not noticed anyone else reporting that sort of behaviour before). After what seemed like ages, but was probably only a few tens of seconds, I managed to position it over the centre of the field away from the road (while it was still pulsing up and down) and pulled the throttle stick back fully, but it took a long, long while to descend and finally land. Luckily, by the time it got down to about 20 feet, the pulsing had stopped, because I was worried it would smash into the ground on one of its downward pulses. It landed without falling over and I stopped the motors (and started breathing again!).

I decided there and then that I was not going to have another attempt because the likelihood was that I was going to have an accident, which at best would have resulted in damaging the aircraft and at worst injuring someone.
I am beginning to learn about the sorts of experiences that lots other people have described on the various forums including this one, and to be frank, they are scary! Other than one occasion in early October when the machine refused to land for several minutes, it has flown rock steady and I did not understand what other pilots were complaining about. Well I certainly know now….phew!

CS in the UK now want me to return the TH and ST16 to them because they want to get to the bottom of these issues. So it has been packaged up and will be on its way early next week. I have to say, CS has been very quick to respond to my problems, so here's hoping it can be sorted out relatively quickly.

Cheers everyone.
Very scary! Some people have recommended to disable GPS if the TH starts for fly erratically. Did you try that?

Very scary! Some people have recommended to disable GPS if the TH starts for fly erratically. Did you try that?

Hello Rubik, no I am afraid my brain was not engaged properly at the time as I was wrestling with the copter, I did not think to turn off the GPS!

Since posting that last message, I have received a bit of a downer, because CS in the UK emailed me and said they could not deal with the issue because the machine had been sent over from the United States and therefore had worldwide firmware onboard (not EU variant), despite it being bought in the UK (with British pounds), and me living in the UK. Yuneec America has come back to me this morning and said that the UK customer services are wrong, so I guess I am now going to have a battle on my hands. I do not care who sorts it out, but I want it done as quickly as possible, and not to cost me a shedload of money!

At the moment I am in correspondence with SLRHut.co.uk the company I bought it from, to see what they can do. If no-one takes responsibility very soon to help me get over this issue, I will have to resort to my consumer rights and start to (metaphorically) stamp my feet!

Regards

Now that my H is back from Yuneec, and the weather has cooperated I finally got a chance to go out and fly. I only had one battery charged up and flew it down to storage voltage.
The camera/aircraft connect time is faster. Nice steady hoover when about 10 feet up. She will bounce around a bit if lower due to fighting the downwash. I do not find the controls twitchy at all in Turtle mode, Rabbit is still just that, quick and very responsive. Tried to really jink it around in Rabbit mode, although you would think the H would flip over, the camera held the image rock solid. Took her about 500 feet down range 400 feet up, hit return to home, turned flew back, only had to make a minor course correction to get her back over the landing area. (Hills are not good to land on) Let her auto land, nice smooth touchdown and an immediate stop of the motors.
I no some of you complain that the H is Twitchy, I think you forget that it can twitch all it wants, it is the camera gimbal that needs to be smooth. Line up a shot on something with lines, and jerk the right stick left and right. Yes the H will bob all over the place, but look at your shot it will be nice and steady.
I am not an easy person to please, this time around I am happy. If I have time and weather this weekend, will try some long range. If memory serves, 3500 feet is furthest I have been out before video started crapping out, let alone trying to see it. I usually try to keep it in closer <2000 feet.

Now that my H is back from Yuneec, and the weather has cooperated I finally got a chance to go out and fly. I only had one battery charged up and flew it down to storage voltage.
The camera/aircraft connect time is faster. Nice steady hoover when about 10 feet up. She will bounce around a bit if lower due to fighting the downwash. I do not find the controls twitchy at all in Turtle mode, Rabbit is still just that, quick and very responsive. Tried to really jink it around in Rabbit mode, although you would think the H would flip over, the camera held the image rock solid. Took her about 500 feet down range 400 feet up, hit return to home, turned flew back, only had to make a minor course correction to get her back over the landing area. (Hills are not good to land on) Let her auto land, nice smooth touchdown and an immediate stop of the motors.
I no some of you complain that the H is Twitchy, I think you forget that it can twitch all it wants, it is the camera gimbal that needs to be smooth. Line up a shot on something with lines, and jerk the right stick left and right. Yes the H will bob all over the place, but look at your shot it will be nice and steady.
I am not an easy person to please, this time around I am happy. If I have time and weather this weekend, will try some long range. If memory serves, 3500 feet is furthest I have been out before video started crapping out, let alone trying to see it. I usually try to keep it in closer <2000 feet.
Did you have to calibrate anything when you got it back

I fly in angle mode only....
have re-calibrated the compass and still can not go over 390'
I also change the altitude in the GUi twice per instructions with no gain in altitude..
When i connect the H to the GUI it shows the altitude change at 152 Meters but actual flying I can not go above 390'

Am I missing a change in the new Firmware on the ST16??/

From what I understand it was an issue with the autopilot. I have not spoken with Yuneec yet to see if they resolved it, I simply downgraded to 1.29 for now and it fixed the issue. The controller still runs the latest.

In terms of twitchy-ness I found its more so the channel setup that causes it. I added 20% expo to the roll and pitch axis and she's smooth as glass now. Without expo on those channels you seem to push the sticks to a point and then it seems to "jump" which causes abrupt movement and feels twitchy. IMO just keep adding expo on the "S" curve until it feels right and done

I use Expo in a similar way on all my mini quads and its sweet as.

From what I understand it was an issue with the autopilot. I have not spoken with Yuneec yet to see if they resolved it, I simply downgraded to 1.29 for now and it fixed the issue. The controller still runs the latest.

That's a very dangerous thing to do. Things like the channel redundancy modes may appear to work, but you risk that they ST-16 switches channels and the H just doesn't know about it.

In terms of twitchy-ness I found its more so the channel setup that causes it. I added 20% expo to the roll and pitch axis and she's smooth as glass now. Without expo on those channels you seem to push the sticks to a point and then it seems to "jump" which causes abrupt movement and feels twitchy. IMO just keep adding expo on the "S" curve until it feels right and done

I use Expo in a similar way on all my mini quads and its sweet as.

I have looked at that controller parameter screen but hesitated to change any values. Can you post a screen shot of which boxes you changed please?

I have looked at that controller parameter screen but hesitated to change any values. Can you post a screen shot of which boxes you changed please?

I went to hardware monitor and saw J4 and J3 is the right stick. I then went to channel settings and edited those on the expo setting and added 20%. It did make the nice curves in the graph like I have my DX9 shows for my other quads so this is exciting news. Is there any other adjustments you made to the left stick?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech