Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Problems grabing the bird.

Reaction score
I always try to grab the bird instead of landing. I grab the bird, then I completely low the thruster and then kill the rotors. For sorme reason in at leat two times the bird becomes non responsive and the rotors get accelerated. I needed to remove the battery instead of releasing it since Im kind scared of a flyway.

Any thoughts or advices here?.

The key to that scenario is do not panic, and keep your finger on that red motor arm/disarm switch.
Keep your arm straight over your head, and the rotors will be at least 2 feet above you. Three seconds
seems forever until it turns off, and in catch landings there is no idling down of the motors. If the motors
accelerate, you were pulling down on the landing struts, in which case the Typhoon will try to take off.
The key, is to simply grab the bottom T of the strut until the motors stop. Then it will go limp and you have
to balance it some.

If in fact, the disarm switch is not turning the motors off after 3-4 seconds; and pulling the battery is necessary,
you need to send the ST16 (and possibly the H as well), back to Yuneec. That red arm/disarm switch is your
primary safety mechanism of the entire setup. It must work correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: GRH
You must hold the H still while holding the left stick all the way down until motors go to idle speed. Release the left stick slowly then press the red button for 3 seconds. If you release the left tick quickly, it will bounce back above 50% and the H will try to take off. If the H is not still or it is tilted too much, it may think it is still in the air and will not want to go to idle speed.

You must hold the H still while holding the left stick all the way down until motors go to idle speed. Release the left stick slowly then press the red button for 3 seconds. If you release the left tick quickly, it will bounce back above 50% and the H will try to take off. If the H is not still or it is tilted too much, it may think it is still in the air and will not want to go to idle speed.
I actually think that this is the "problem". So the correct sequence is:
-Grab the bird.
-Hold the left stick all the way down until idle.
-Release the ls slowly.
-Press the switch to turn off.

Thanks a lot guys , this should be a thing that we may want to add to the manual.
Hi from Costa Rica.

I actually think that this is the "problem". So the correct sequence is:
-Grab the bird.
-Hold the left stick all the way down until idle.
-Release the ls slowly.
-Press the switch to turn off.

Thanks a lot guys , this should be a thing that we may want to add to the manual.
Hi from Costa Rica.

I have no problems with the following catch sequence:

Lower H in turtle mode to extended arm height and let hover. Walk up, grab T part of gear with right hand and grip steady without pulling. My left index finger is over start/stop button and the St is hanging by straps but supported by left hand cradling top left corner with finger positioned as stated. Push button. The rest was eloquently covered already in this thread about motor revving and such.

I never touch any sticks once I'm walking up and always set catch position and height well away from me to be ready for wind or other surprises. I only land on the gear during my now infrequent compass spaz moments.

They will never put this in the manual as it's an open invitation to be sued out of existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: SkyDoctor
Offering "how to catch" advise over the internet in an open forum shares that liability risk....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ennoia
For some reason, some people have considerable difficulty landing the aircraft. I suspect this is due to several factors, leaving an unusual location that prohibits a landing out of them.

They come down too fast, don't point the nose into the wind to assure the gear set down evenly, hold some control input other that what is necessary to maintain level flight at the critical phase of landing, don't plan in advance for the landing, experience fear of hitting the ground, whatever. Essentially they are likely using what's called an "unstabilized" approach, which in turn leaves them with a destabilized aircraft when it touches down.

Landings are not difficult at all if they are planned. The H is actually a very, very easy bird to land. Wait until you fly something larger and heavier with a few $k worth of payload under it to really learn what a hard landing is about.

Bring the bird back to where you want to land it, be that in a gliding descent or even a vertical descent. You selected the landing location at the time of take off or at least before you started the H on the return flight home. There's no hurry to get on the ground if you didn't fly your battery down to empty so save some battery to get the most important part of the flight done with a little safe power reserve. Before touching the ground, stop the descent a foot or more off the ground and let it hover for a second. In doing that you eliminated the kinetic energy generated from the rest of the descent. That downward velocity is no longer there to work against you.

Once stabilized in a hover, ease the H onto the ground while paying some attention to the wind direction. Rotate the H and place the front of the aircraft facing the direction the wind is coming from. If the wind is strong you may need to "lean" the aircraft into the wind. If you have to do this hold that "lean" until the propellers are stopped. Not spinning, not idle, but stopped. If you touchdown sideways to the wind you'll need to lean the aircraft sideways into the wind. It's much easier to choose the right control input if the aircraft faces the wind, it will always be forward stick in Angle mode, and you have the "toes" of the landing gear working for you to better see the balance of the aircraft as it touches down.

Sudden stick movements make for sudden H reactions. Do things slow and smooth and you'll be rewarded with nice, easy landings. Plan the flight, fly the plan. Plan the landing before you need to be on the ground. Keep your mind ahead of the aircraft, not reacting to it. At any given moment, if the aircraft is at an given place your thinking should be on where the aircraft is going to be next. If you are thinking about where it is a that moment you are functioning in the past because the aircraft had already arrived.

You folks want to fly so start thinking like a pilot. Relax and be calm, not apprehensive. Think things through before they need to be done, not as you are doing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev Waite
So is recovery when mountain climbing but few do either.

No need to pull down the altitude stick. Grab the drone and push immediately the red power off button. Idle the motors seems not to be possible anymore with firmware V3.0

This truly is an accident waiting to happen and bad practice/habit to get into. Consider it from a risk management perspective? Do you really think someone will insure you on a job site?

Consider getting yourself a landing pad. Hoodman makes a couple of great landing pads in various sizes. They are heavy and great on most terrains. They'll also save your motors from dust being kicked up on landings.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend hand-catching for everyone. You have to be comfortable and knowledgeable with certain factors.

I have noticed that when I catch my "H" the motors speed up cause it 'thinks' it's dropping altitude. What I do now is extend my arm out, wear eye protection, get a firm hold on the landing gear and I anticipate that it will compensate due to the altitude drop.

I personally don't think it's bad practice, but then again I am not using my drone professionally, so no need for insurance for myself. Keep a level head, be aware of your surroundings/wind direction like PatR mentioned above and you will be safe.

When the H is flying and the throttle is in the middle position the aircraft is holding altitude. When you grab it you pull down on it so it tries to regain/maintain the altitude it was at, increasing motor speed to do so.

Long time ago I liked to use RTH on an APM controller, switch to Loiter when it got close, and catch it on the way down. It took just one time to forget to disarm the motors before setting it down. It "thought" it was still supposed to be holding an altitude and accelerated, jumping 8' back into the air. I almost had a face full of X8.

A mistake only needs to happen once...

I agree with you 100%, but if you take your H to a non-friendly take-off/LZ, there are times you might have to act quick and that might be your only option of a safe land that doesn't damage your H.

The Typhoon H will land softly in your hand as long as you don't move it up, down, left, right after you catch it with motors running. If you do move it the motors will rev up. If this happens just hang onto it and continue holding down the left joystick while pressing the stop button. Have no fear, it's very easy with no worries.

Reactions: Guest22
The Typhoon H will land softly in your hand as long as you don't move it up, down, left, right after you catch it with motors running. If you do move it the motors will rev up. If this happens just hang onto it and continue holding down the left joystick while pressing the stop button. Have no fear, it's very easy with no worries.

Thank you Captain Drone for the assurance. I've stated before but my catch method I don't touch the sticks at all. As soon as I make contact with skid, I'm pushing motor stop and any pulling by the motors ends quickly. My left finger is on the button as I step up to grab. I do not reach in or get close until I see full stable hover. I then move the H over my designated safe place to stand and grab and stop. If it's too windy to catch then it probably too windy to launch so I don't take risks on no fly days. This is done with much caution and I leave battery percentage available so I can safely catch. I'm always prepared to come back to me and prep for landing at 14.5 volts. Flight time pushing is not my thing. Flying 3 batteries is an easy 45 mins of video and that's a lot of post so I'm learning to fly and shoot in more planned and editable scenarios. Catching is important to me so I can be mobile and follow my route with backpack and part of my flight planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: GreatWhiteNorth

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430