Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Professional use of Typhoon H?

The quality of the cameras image should match the GoPro which it doesnt its seriously lacking. And no the GoPro doesnt require that much post work to make look good. I have news for you the GoPro Hero4 Black that is blowing the CGO3+ out of the water cost maybe $20 for go pro to produce. The same cameras minus Protune are being white boxed for $40 and resold for $80....

Oh really? Why not bless us with the link to the "same" camera minus Protune for $80. I just can't wait to buy one. Does that include the non-fish eye lens?

I have a fried (my fault) GPH4 Black and would love to buy a replacement that would work with a 3DR Solo. Otherwise GoPro will sell me a GPH4 Black for $300 to replace my broken one.

BTW, if it isn't compatible with 3DR Solo, it isn't the same camera.

The quality from the H will be OK for most except broadcast. Although if the content is interesting they will accept anything. Apart from Estate Agents sometime big Country Hotelas and Private Schools
In fairness, the S2 processor if that is indeed the processor used in the H is deigned as a security camera processor not as a film camera processor, the sad part is that Amberalla who make the S2 processor also make other similar priced and sized processor's which could have been used in the H and are also designed specifically for use in this size of "drone".

The problem with this security camera processor is that, it is designed to send video over the internet, and to do this it must, as much as possible cut down the volume of data which makes up this video. This is data economy done by encoding to lower bit rates is done at a sacrifice to video quality. - We do not need this bandwidth saving in a recording camera as we save video to an SD card.

Possible solutions would be for Yuneec to approach Amberalla and request a method to prevent the "low bit rate/high quality" encoding and instead allow for max bit rate 100% quality, and to turn off in processor noise reduction etc as these are only compounding the overall sharpness problem.

Last edited:
Hi there everyone. I'm new on this forum so, hi! Am based in the UK.

I'm just wondering how many of you are operating commercially (PFAW) and using your H for this? What kind of work are you finding it most useful for. I have an S800 sitting in the front room as a potential platform but am wondering whether the H is being used successfully in a professional context and whether it might be a good choice for me.

Thanks! Andy
Hi! I work as photographer in Sweden www.photo2be.com and have used drones for 2,5 years. Now I fly a "H" and so far its ok. What I most like and use is the 360 camera = you don't have to turn the H to find the objekt. And also POI! Great feature. The Auto panning is also great! BUT I "hate" that here are no EXIF and GPS info in the pics! ****! But after approx 40hrs of flying the "H" it works fine and has payed-off long time ago. Mainly from Real Estate brookers. I use an ITELITE antenna. Of course I have all the nesseercary "papers and insurances".
Best from Sweden

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, still looking for more feedback, anyone else out there using these commercially? DerStig, could you post something which is representative of the quality you expect and tell us what platform was being used pleased?

Anyone else care to share their best images which have come about from paid work with an H? I'm still in the process of deciding if this is the way ahead. Thanks!
Here's three sample pics from satisfied cutomers:
Aerial photography with Robinson R44 based at Bromma Airport Stockholm

No Not even close

I'm lost here - what do you actually think is a good rig for your broadcast quality needs as a professional film maker? If you're going to suggest a GoPro, I'm going to laugh at you. Whilst the quality of GoPro is different (not better, different) from the H, and Yuneec have apparently said there will be a lens fix for softness, the GoPro is still a country mile away from being a 'professional broadcast quality' camera.

When Yuneec introduced the Typhoon H at a London show in February they were saying then that the CGO3+ would be upgradeable to a better camera in the future, so all those H users that think they require a better camera for their work, my guess is you may see something better being offered before the end of this year or the start of next.

Right Now the go pro is a better camera no getting around that. as for my needs? Alexa Mini, for something small? The X5r

I can't see how a camera that requires lens correction is better than one that leaves the horizon straight. Correction in post will leave far worse IQ problems than the Typhoon has.

And quite frankly if your camera bag includes the Alexa Mini, why on earth are you in this forum? It's like going into an Audi forum and telling them their cars aren't as fast as a Lamborghini.

Oh really? Why not bless us with the link to the "same" camera minus Protune for $80. I just can't wait to buy one. Does that include the non-fish eye lens?

I have a fried (my fault) GPH4 Black and would love to buy a replacement that would work with a 3DR Solo. Otherwise GoPro will sell me a GPH4 Black for $300 to replace my broken one.

BTW, if it isn't compatible with 3DR Solo, it isn't the same camera.

I use a Git2 with 4.35 lens on a Z1 Tiny2 gimbal + Y6F550/Pixhawk for many jobs and clients are very happy. Whoever developed the CG03+ should be clapped in irons. On a positive note someone somewhere has posted that a decent camera for the H is in development. I do not mean the Flir as that appears to have built in naffness. Yuneec are so close to the ideal product - I do like my H as it is easily transportable and quick to set up unlike my Y6 F550.

I'm presuming you are referring to screen captures from video, not stills photography.

Correction in post doesn't leave "Far worse IQ problems" Lens field correction is done all the time with just about every format still and video and you don't notice it.

And yes may camera bag includes Alexa minis and others. I got the H for a few small projects based on Yuneecs claims of a 100Mbps camera....

It was pretty clear several months ago that advertising 100Mbps was in error. What took you so long to figure that out, before buying it? This is why I think you're a DJI shill.

Reactions: Michael Walker
Now, now we are adults here, and friends.

Reactions: banned user
For non photographers/videographers the camera on the Typhoon H is acceptable. For anyone who is a photographer/videographer, the camera on the Typhoon H is not acceptable in many situations.

If I compare it to a Phantom 3 or Phantom 4 camera it lacks in the areas of focus/detail and proper exposure/color.

Are these issues fixable by Yuneec? **** Yes!

I use a Git2 with 4.35 lens on a Z1 Tiny2 gimbal + Y6F550/Pixhawk for many jobs and clients are very happy. Whoever developed the CG03+ should be clapped in irons. On a positive note someone somewhere has posted that a decent camera for the H is in development. I do not mean the Flir as that appears to have built in naffness. Yuneec are so close to the ideal product - I do like my H as it is easily transportable and quick to set up unlike my Y6 F550.

That could have been me as when I attended the BVE show in London this year, I asked the Yuneec people on their stand about the CGO3+ possible short comings, and was told as this is modular fitment there would be a upgrade camera in the future, but did not give a date, my own assumption this would likely be released towards the end of the year or possibly to coincide with a major show such as this one or the one held in Las Vegas.

BVE 2017 - Media and Entertainment from creation to consumption

Reactions: Dragonflyerthom
That could have been me as when I attended the BVE show in London this year, I asked the Yuneec people on their stand about the CGO3+ possible short comings, and was told as this is modular fitment there would be a upgrade camera in the future, but did not give a date, my own assumption this would likely be released towards the end of the year or possibly to coincide with a major show such as this one or the one held in Las Vegas.

The Typhoon H pro 2 available next year will have an upgraded camera. I hope it is plug and play with current Typhoon H owners.

That's what I was led to believe by Yuneec reps at the show, my guess it certainly wont be low price upgrade.

I sure as **** hope this is not some sales tactic, build up interest in a modular platform - sell tons of them from high interest, off the bat with a less than optimal camera and then come back in 3-4 months time with a real camera option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval