Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

Q500 4k Camera Lens - Need a closer view

Discussion in 'Q500 4K Discussion' started by John Cameron, Jan 24, 2016.

1. John Cameron

I am a home inspector and I want to use the Q500 4k for safe roof inspection. The problem is that with the 4k has a wide angle view and the objects appear farther away than they are. I need to get too close to the roof to take good pictures or videos because of the wide angle lens. I would like to get a closer view of the roof without getting the copter so close to it. I don't need adjustable zoom just a closer, narrower view.

Does anyone know of a way to add on a lens to change the view?

Yuneec if you are reading this, I bet there are lots of other pros out there that need this. If you develop it I'd buy it.

Drone Boy likes this.
  2. wedbster

3. Sticks

Your final rendering off the video you can do a digital zoom. Instant gratification, yup, wrong platform. The Hurricane has a zoom camera on it, and other gimbals available to put different cameras on them.

I hope you have your 333 exemption from the FAA.

4. DiscoStew

If you record in 1080 and not 4k, the image appears a little "closer" than the 4k version. But as Sticks said, in your editing software you can "zoom" in on the image/video and still get great detail (if you record in 4K). Editing 4k can be really taxing on your editing system unless you have a nice beefy editing rig. So it really depends on your workflow and timeline as to getting the desired results.
    Maybe Yuneec will have a setting that can make use of the Intel Real-sense collision avoidance that can keep your H 5' away from the roof? But then again, that would only work on houses that have a steep pitched roof since the sensor is always forward facing and not pointing where the camera is looking.

Cheers
    Stew

5. Subtle Shots

Yuneec already made a 4k capable high zoom gimbled camera copter.
    Research "TORNADO" and lumix gh4.
    When operating the gh4 in 4K mode the sensor multiplies lense size by 2.3.
    This is the perfect solution for your situation. Unfortunately it is not the lowest cost copter, but since it is a business expense can be a tax deduction against your profits.

6. OregonDrone

Your best choice would be to go with a GoPro solution with a gimble. You have a couple of options...1) sell you current CGO3 online and use the money to buy a GoPro and gimble. 2) Sell your whole rig and buy the GoPro version of the Typhoon.
    With a GoPro you can select different field of views. You can have it set for a narrow field of view that would give you the impression of zooming in.

7. John Cameron

I have applied for my 33 exemption. I am only doing practice inspections on my own roof right now. Logging hours on the quad.

8. John Cameron

Thanks I might sell mine and go for this option