Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4k Did Something Wierd, Need Help

Reaction score
I've been in RC for many years, but just got my new Q500 4k for Christmas, and have had probably 2 or 3 dozen sucessful flights. Something weird happended and I'm hoping y'all can shead some light.

- Turned on Q500 before turning on Controller (usually do it the other way around)
- Was under some trees, but didn't take long for Q500 to have 11 sats, and controller had 9.
- There was text in red (over black background, very hard to read) where "welcome pilot" goes in the beginning. Only part I could read was at end, said something like "re-connecting". Then welcome pilot.
- Armed ok like before
- Took off ok like before
- During a hover aprox 8 to 10 ft off ground, quickly discovered I could move left and right, but had no forward, no reverse, and no yaw!!!
- Landed. Cursed. Prayed.
- Next day flew perfectly (2 good flights) with no changes to Q or controller. Fewer trees and turned on controller first.

?? Any ideas? Could turning on Q first really cause loss of control?

PS: I'm sure I was in Angle Mode. Always check that before lift-off.

Last edited:
I have not had that issue. But i would say that could be a problem. I always turn my ST10 on first before the Q500 just to make sure i am the one punting out the frequencies. Now I now interference from other sources can be there. So i would say yes turning the Q500 on first than the ST10 may have had something to do with it. Again I am NOT and expert. .. Now as for the Red text I get that for when the camera loses connection but being 8-10 ft off the ground you should have great connection.
If anyone wants to pic my post apart and tell me I am wrong then please let me know so I can be sure to give a correct answer next time. Good luck and happy flying

Always start the transmitter first and wait for it to fully boot up before turning on the Q. I like to wait until I have at least 6 sats showing before starting the Q.There is really no need to start up under a tree and your asking for trouble in my opinion. Get out in the open to start up. Then fly under the tree if you must for whatever reason.
I had a situation once.... flew the Q just fine 3 times and then changed location about 200 feet away. Sent the Q back up only to find all controls except up and down were reversed.
No idea why this happened but my only fix was to reload the firmware in the Q. I haven't had the problem ever since.
It was just one of those "Go Figure ??" moments.
You get the red error message when the camera has no Wifi connection. This can happen at startup as the camera and connection initialize or during flight if you lose connection.
I also like to recalibrate the compass after every 8 or 10 flights. For the 2 minutes it takes to do it, it's worth it to me just to do it to be safe.

Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo

Only1nexus is correct, the "reconnecting" message appears until the camera is connected. And yes, you should always turn on the controller first.
The amount of electronics packed into these things is pretty amazing so it's not surprising to have a glitch once in awhile. If it happens just turn everything off and start over. If it happens frequently then come back here with another post.

Thanks for all the response. Glad to hear the red letters across the top are for video, and not RC control. It was pretty scarry to only have partial control, and feel lucky I was able to land with no crashes. I'll definately start up control first. Didn't realize it was so critical. Tks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece