Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4K maiden voyage... Propeller just flew off mid flight.

After flight the other day- went to pack up my drone- prop was only finger-tight, fell off after 1 turn. Further investigation revealed that i had cross threaded it at some point, damaging the threads in the prop hub. It seemed tight but was not.

my Q500 4K done the same thing.. propeller flew off while landing after 13 minutes flight ... there are lots of complaints about propellers flying off while motors braking ... Some one mentioned [another Yuneec forum] Yuneec updated the firmware to reduce intensity of motor braking to avoid this "known " issue ... i still waiting for a reply from Yuneec [Australian agent] about my drone ..

prop fly off on my Yuneeq Typoon 4k!

My Thread from another Yuneec forum ... Q500 4K - propellers flew off

This is from one of Moderators on that forum
"Hey Doc
This was a problem for the Q500 a couple of years ago. I had it happen also and trust me I had many fights on my Q and know what I am doing when putting props on. This was such a problem for Yuneec they actually updated the firmware so the motor breaking was not so extreme."

In a trial hover in my back yard today, to test the motors, I lost a prop too. Had a devil of a time finding it. Yea I think we need to error on the tight side. The shafts look pretty robust in aluminum so I'm gonna tighten it a lot more. As noted above, an under tightened prop is worse than "possibly" stripping a shaft or blade imho.

Too bad we always have to remove them for transportation. If not, I'd put some medium locktite thread lock on them and let it dry. I use that stuff in other applications with great success. And you can still remove them when needed albeight with a little more effort. It just gums up the threads to resist unwinding.

So after writing my experience above and noting the problems the others have had. I started a search to find a case where you could leave the props on with locktite. I knew they made them for the dji drones but not Yuneec.

Well I found a homemade one that's really nice and only costs $59 and you can buy it from Home Depot. Check out the you tube like below.

Please provide me your thoughts on this solution.

I have the same box and have used it over a year now. A good solution.

You will need to carve out some of the stryfoam from the lid to allow it to work with the props on. Doing that is not difficult at all.

A couple of my buddies have this or a similar box for their DJI's. It works well for them.
I do a lot of hiking with mine and the case won't work for me but great idea for others.
Loctite.... Loctite works by forcing the air bubbles out of the threads as you drive the screw threads into place.
There really is no need for Loctite. Just learn how tight you can get your blades without locking them onto the post.
Don't be afraid to snug up tight to the rubber spacer. Don't kill it but snug up tight.
I hold the motor can by hand and tighten the blade by hand until the can spins and I can't hold it any more. Then I use the tool for another1.5- 2 turns. Depends on how it feels to me as to how tight I get it. You'll learn with time. :)

Well I'm not sure I completely agree with your analogy of forcing bubbles out. It really just fills in the voids between the threads with a mild adhesive. It's used extensively in the aircraft industry.

It's great for stress and vibration environments. There are many types from mild to "you'll never get that off".
I use the mild to medium on other applications. The screws can always be removed when using the mild or medium. Think of it as used chewing gum. Sticky but removeable.

It was just a suggestion for those of us who have lost blades and are afraid to over tighten. I plan to use it in conjunction with the case where I can leave my props on. In my estimation, this will potentially remove one unknown and possible failure point.

So wingshooter, the $59 question is would you do it again as opposed to the normal case where some disassembly is required. I'm guessing yes?

I plan on looking at the case this weekend and after the shock of it's size, buying one for my bird.

By the way, I'll say it again. Great forum and tks for letting me partake. Really helps this newbie get up to speed faster and safer.

So wingshooter, the $59 question is would you do it again as opposed to the normal case where some disassembly is required. I'm guessing yes?

I plan on looking at the case this weekend and after the shock of it's size, buying one for my bird.

By the way, I'll say it again. Great forum and tks for letting me partake. Really helps this newbie get up to speed faster and safer.

Yes I would do it again. I use it to store my stuff while at home. That way everything is in one place.
I use it when I take the drone with me in my Polaris Ranger since I am traveling in rough terrain. Keeps it secure.
The Styrofoam will shift a little in the box but for the most part is a good fit. I suppose you could use something to glue the Styrofoam down but I did not want to make it that permanent.

This is the exact box.
Husky 35 in. Mobile Job Box-222167 - The Home Depot

Cool and tks. It looks like a great solution. And since I checked earlier in the week, it's back down to $49. Several stores in the area have them, looks like I'll be setting mine up this weekend since I can't fly. Cold and windy and my house is in a no fly zone. I need that waiver Yuneec, come on and send it.

Tks again wingshooter.

Just a heads up on the Husky box i bought today. So the website showed two different prices, which I did not catch until I was at the store. The store that did not have one in stock quoted $49. The other store, 4 miles away, website and in store price were $59 (in stock) . So after some discussion they honored the $49 price. Just a warning in case you run into this, they should give you the $49 since it's a corporate website. But that it's not unusual for the different stores to have different pricing. Lol. What a system.

Reactions: Wingshooter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430