Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Questions about Real Sense and Obstacle Avoidance.

I have been interested in getting the IPS, but mostly for the CCC.
If it doesn't work with CCC, then I probably will change my mind.
Does anyone know for sure that this is the case?

Right? It makes little sense for it to ignore the ground sensors when in CCC. It would b a huge help when using the task modes at lower altitudes and offer significant piece of mind.

Reactions: stevemitchell
OK. In Angle mode, you can turn on the OA with the switch. Bear in mind the center position is not used at this time. When OA goes active you will get a vibration, and the screen icon will become green. On the Pro, OA is the RealSense. In Angle mode, RS on, as long as the H is moving forward it will sense obstacles, the ST-16 will start "pinging" and refuse to fly into them. It will stop and refuse to move forward. You then have to manually steer away from the obstacle. It cannot sense sideways or backwards in Angle mode.

Only in Smart mode, Watch or Follow, will it take control, always face farward and fly around obstacles without help. In RTH mode, you can also switch RS on.

RS will not work in Cable cam or other Special modes at this time. Remember, even with the switch on, RS may not activate for various reasons, so make sure that icon is green. Turn that switch off when landing, turn it on only in the air.

Hope this is not confusing.

When referring to Angle Mode,"On the Pro, OA is the RealSense" - I know you didn't mean this literally as they are both included and use completely different technologies but it brings up a question...

Has anyone tested the flight behavioral difference between the two options specifically as it relates to OA (not obstacle navigation)? Not really interested in what the marketing abstracts say about the technology but anyone's real world examples.

For instance if you need to fly fast (and possibly low to the ground?), that rules out RS. Does one stop the craft sooner than the other when presented with an obstacle? Does RS provide better obstacle detection for smaller objects (again I know RS is advertised as having excellent navigational detection and would lead one to believe that automatically translates into OA - but does it really)? Does distance from the pilot adversely affect behavior differently? Is one more reliable than the other (less latency, signal drops)? Are there situations when they conflict with each other? Other metrics to consider?

The purpose of my questions is really to take one variable out of the equation through understanding (not memorization) so depending on what type of flying I'm conducting, i can make a wise decision as to whether I should use one over the other, or both. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

When referring to Angle Mode,"On the Pro, OA is the RealSense" - I know you didn't mean this literally as they are both included and use completely different technologies but it brings up a question...

Has anyone tested the flight behavioral difference between the two options specifically as it relates to OA (not obstacle navigation)? Not really interested in what the marketing abstracts say about the technology but anyone's real world examples.

For instance if you need to fly fast (and possibly low to the ground?), that rules out RS. Does one stop the craft sooner than the other when presented with an obstacle? Does RS provide better obstacle detection for smaller objects (again I know RS is advertised as having excellent navigational detection and would lead one to believe that automatically translates into OA - but does it really)? Does distance from the pilot adversely affect behavior differently? Is one more reliable than the other (less latency, signal drops)? Are there situations when they conflict with each other? Other metrics to consider?

The purpose of my questions is really to take one variable out of the equation through understanding (not memorization) so depending on what type of flying I'm conducting, i can make a wise decision as to whether I should use one over the other, or both. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Yikes! I read that 3 times, but I am confused (a normal thing). From my experience, with 2 RS Hs and 1 standard H, when RS is active it takes over, no conflict. Without RS "on", the sonic sensor will keep you from running into your house, and a human too, ordinarily (I have trouble getting volunteers to test this). Neither is any help keeping you from running into the ground at speed.

Sorry if my explanation is unclear.

Yikes! I read that 3 times, but I am confused (a normal thing). Fro my experience, with 2 RS Hs and 1 standard H, when RS is active it takes over, no conflict. Without RS "on", the sonic sensor will keep you from running into your house, and a human too, ordinarily (I have trouble getting volunteers to test this). Neither is any help keeping you from running into the ground at speed.

Sorry if my explanation is unclear.
No worries on trying to understand my questions...probably a bit discombobulated as written. Just looking for real world use case using one vs the other (other than my examples). That's interesting that the RS takes over, did not know that.

Reactions: Rayray
OK. In Angle mode, you can turn on the OA with the switch. Bear in mind the center position is not used at this time. When OA goes active you will get a vibration, and the screen icon will become green. On the Pro, OA is the RealSense. In Angle mode, RS on, as long as the H is moving forward it will sense obstacles, the ST-16 will start "pinging" and refuse to fly into them. It will stop and refuse to move forward. You then have to manually steer away from the obstacle. It cannot sense sideways or backwards in Angle mode.

Only in Smart mode, Watch or Follow, will it take control, always face farward and fly around obstacles without help. In RTH mode, you can also switch RS on.

RS will not work in Cable cam or other Special modes at this time. Remember, even with the switch on, RS may not activate for various reasons, so make sure that icon is green. Turn that switch off when landing, turn it on only in the air.

Hi,
There is one thing I don not understand. You said: ´On the Pro, OA is the RealSense´. I thought on the Pro, OA are Sonar sensors + IRS

For instance if you need to fly fast (and possibly low to the ground?), that rules out RS. Does one stop the craft sooner than the other when presented with an obstacle? Does RS provide better obstacle detection for smaller objects (again I know RS is advertised as having excellent navigational detection and would lead one to believe that automatically translates into OA - but does it really)?
Others correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that both Obstacle Avoidance and RealSense reduce the top speed available to make stopping in-time possible based on the sensor range and flight reaction time.

Will obstacle avoidance will work in CCC mode with the latest software upgrades?

Thank you.

From my understanding, Obstacle Avoidance does not work in CCC mode, although I really wish it did. Hopefully the next firmware update will allow for this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my