Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Range and limits

Reaction score
Hello there i am new to this forum as well to the drone life .
I love drones and things that can fly.
Anyways i have couple of questions to pilots and other pro people to the drone world.
I recently bought a drone a q500 4k.
I live in uk i wanna know what is the max range of the st10+ i mean max range of live video feedback.
What is the max wind speed that this drone can handle.. i am afraid of going outside and fly in a more than 15 mph wind is it bad ? What can happen ?
And.. if the q500 loses video feedback if you press the return home button it will come home no matter where she is ?
Thanks for all the future answers.
I repeat it is my first drome ever.. and it's quite amazing.

I am not certain if it is different in the UK, but with my 4K here in Canada, I got out to 252 M before I lost video feed. I then put RTH, and it came right back to me. I have flown in 40 Kph winds, but would not recommend it. Flying with GPS was simple, but landing was a task without flipping it. If you do, land into the wind.

Have fun and welcome to the forum.

Max wind for the Q is 12 mph. Wind increases with altitude and can double at 200'. Always fly upwind to be safe. In winds over 10 mph you may notice snap-yaw. That is when the wind pushes against the camera so hard it rotates the whole Q. If it happens either slow down or turn the Q so the camera is facing downwind. If you get into wind at altitude the Q may not be able to get back home so stay low and close when it's windy but avoid trees. Trees are not your friend.

The video range can vary greatly depending on a lot of factors. Keep the front of the ST10 pointed at the Q. It seems like the best video signal is when the camera is facing away from you. When you yaw the Q you may see the video break up or stop. That's normal. The control range is much farther than video range so the camera will continue to record even if you lose the video signal. If you're not sure which way to move the right stick to bring it home, in Smart mode just pull the right stick all the way back. If you are in Angle mode, look at the green arrow. Move the right stick in the direction the arrow is pointing. That will bring it back home. Or you can switch to Home mode.

The video and control signals are completely separate.

Nice Steve...
Just a couple of tid bits for any drone you might have that I use...
Don't fly your drone in winds faster than the drone can fly.
Trying to land in the wind is a challenge and something you'll only want to do after a few clean flights first.
I don't even turn the Q on until I have at least 6 sats showing connected for the box.
Don't be afraid to tighten your blades securely. Better a tough blade to get off than a pitched blade in the air. That doesn't mean you have to kill it either. Just secure it snugly down on the O-ring :)
Until your comfortable with your Q, start with a thought out flight plan of what you want to do and stick to that plan.Even if they're only 30 second circles overhead. "Comfortable" means you have enough time on your drone that it's reactions become somewhat predictable to you. You know what it's going to do before you input the control.
Learn to fly in Angle mode as soon as possible.
Until you understand how the "Gio Fence" works, i would advise you take of in "Angle" mode and switch to "Smart " mode once your off the ground f that's the mode you want to fly in.
Don't trust that the Low battery warnings are going to save you in the event you run the battery down. Some I have seen report as much as two minutes but I've seen more like myself that got about thirty seconds from the warnings before it fell from the sky. You'll get your first warning at around 10.7-10.6 volts. Be close to the ground and ready to land before that warning happens.
Your video will drop out between 350-750 feet... or so.As Steve has mentioned, lots of factors matter when it comes to that Wifi video connection.
Your signal for control will go out about a mile. You'll still have telemetry even when you lose video as long as your still in range.No Telemetry in the box means no connection to the drone.
I sent my drone out 1000' and shut the box off just to see if (as advertised) it would return. Sure enough, a few minutes later it was back on it's own.I turned the box back on and got connection and landed myself.
Don"t count on your Q to come back to the exact same spot it left from. i like to make a big X on the the ground and launch from the X. Then I'll let the Q land itself in RTH mode just to see how close it will come. it can be close but it's never dead on.
Your laws are certainly different from those here in the U.S. and I advise you check locally about flying restrictions in your area.
Don't piss anyone off and have a super time.
You're going to love it.

Nice Steve...
Just a couple of tid bits for any drone you might have that I use...
Don't fly your drone in winds faster than the drone can fly.
Trying to land in the wind is a challenge and something you'll only want to do after a few clean flights first.
I don't even turn the Q on until I have at least 6 sats showing connected for the box.
Don't be afraid to tighten your blades securely. Better a tough blade to get off than a pitched blade in the air. That doesn't mean you have to kill it either. Just secure it snugly down on the O-ring :)
Until your comfortable with your Q, start with a thought out flight plan of what you want to do and stick to that plan.Even if they're only 30 second circles overhead. "Comfortable" means you have enough time on your drone that it's reactions become somewhat predictable to you. You know what it's going to do before you input the control.
Learn to fly in Angle mode as soon as possible.
Until you understand how the "Gio Fence" works, i would advise you take of in "Angle" mode and switch to "Smart " mode once your off the ground f that's the mode you want to fly in.
Don't trust that the Low battery warnings are going to save you in the event you run the battery down. Some I have seen report as much as two minutes but I've seen more like myself that got about thirty seconds from the warnings before it fell from the sky. You'll get your first warning at around 10.7-10.6 volts. Be close to the ground and ready to land before that warning happens.
Your video will drop out between 350-750 feet... or so.As Steve has mentioned, lots of factors matter when it comes to that Wifi video connection.
Your signal for control will go out about a mile. You'll still have telemetry even when you lose video as long as your still in range.No Telemetry in the box means no connection to the drone.
I sent my drone out 1000' and shut the box off just to see if (as advertised) it would return. Sure enough, a few minutes later it was back on it's own.I turned the box back on and got connection and landed myself.
Don"t count on your Q to come back to the exact same spot it left from. i like to make a big X on the the ground and launch from the X. Then I'll let the Q land itself in RTH mode just to see how close it will come. it can be close but it's never dead on.
Your laws are certainly different from those here in the U.S. and I advise you check locally about flying restrictions in your area.
Don't piss anyone off and have a super time.
You're going to love it.
Thanks bud it was very helpful.

Reactions: Jafo
I am not certain if it is different in the UK, but with my 4K here in Canada, I got out to 252 M before I lost video feed. I then put RTH, and it came right back to me. I have flown in 40 Kph winds, but would not recommend it. Flying with GPS was simple, but landing was a task without flipping it. If you do, land into the wind.

Have fun and welcome to the forum.
Just sent you a PM

Max wind for the Q is 12 mph. Wind increases with altitude and can double at 200'. Always fly upwind to be safe. In winds over 10 mph you may notice snap-yaw. That is when the wind pushes against the camera so hard it rotates the whole Q. If it happens either slow down or turn the Q so the camera is facing downwind. If you get into wind at altitude the Q may not be able to get back home so stay low and close when it's windy but avoid trees. Trees are not your friend.

The video range can vary greatly depending on a lot of factors. Keep the front of the ST10 pointed at the Q. It seems like the best video signal is when the camera is facing away from you. When you yaw the Q you may see the video break up or stop. That's normal. The control range is much farther than video range so the camera will continue to record even if you lose the video signal. If you're not sure which way to move the right stick to bring it home, in Smart mode just pull the right stick all the way back. If you are in Angle mode, look at the green arrow. Move the right stick in the direction the arrow is pointing. That will bring it back home. Or you can switch to Home mode.

The video and control signals are completely separate.
I get 10.000 feet easy and could have gone further
Itelite + Sunhans

Reactions: TheDhuddist
What kind of battery setup did you use for the flight ?
Hi, just a original YUNeeC Q500 battery. Mine flies 20-21 minutes because I first used the 10x10 method(fly 10 times only till 50% battery capacity when they are new)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio