Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Range experiment results

MeW

Reaction score
Hey all...

Since I purchased the H last April, I've been a little disappointed in the range. For the most part, it functions under LOS flight. But I would occasionally lose telemetry and video. In an effort to make it rock solid, I started down the aftermarket antenna and modification path. Along the way I tried to do as much A/B testing as possible by testing one change at a time under like weather conditions in the exact same locations. While the modification videos on YouTube are great, none of them really did much before/after. Thought I would throw out what I've seen from the efforts:

1. FPVLR on the stock ST16 - Significant range boost for control, video, and telemetry. Effectively doubled the limits of the stock antennas
2. FPVLR on ST16+/ST16 modification - Again a large bump in range. All three antennas were FPVLR which produced another 30%. Range test over remote location reached 7200 feet.
3. Aftermarket RP-SMA Cables - Replaced the three main antenna cables inside the transmitter with cables from Embedded Works. Video was immediately pixelated and laggy. Reduced effective control to about 5000 feet. Not the expected result so switched back to stock wires.
4. ITELITE ST16+ Antenna - Replaced the FPVLR antennas with the new ITELITE. Repeated previous range test with a increased result of 8200 feet. No lag on video with picture quality back to standard. Really don't experience any dropout at all now.

As we know, most of these things void the warranty. I didn't have much left and haven't had any real problems so did the modification. My next step will be to mod the H with the exterior antenna modification. At that point, I should be able to fly without any interruption even when I hit the boundary of LOS and turn it back toward the transmitter (only scenario I can get the telemetry to "pause")

Hope this helps! If nothing else, another guy who likes the ITELITE over the FPVLR (in case someones trying to make that decision).

The only thing I do not like about The ITELITE is the way it attaches to the ST 16.

The only thing I do not like about The ITELITE is the way it attaches to the ST 16.
Yep...it's less convenient and a trade off for me. I'll have to modify the foam in my case to see if it can fit without detaching every time.

Reactions: Nuance
I think you'll find the documentation included with the H specifically calls it out as a LOS aircraft. The H does not have a range problem. The problem lies with those that want to operate it long range. The H works perfectly for the design intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all...

Since I purchased the H last April, I've been a little disappointed in the range. For the most part, it functions under LOS flight. But I would occasionally lose telemetry and video. In an effort to make it rock solid, I started down the aftermarket antenna and modification path. Along the way I tried to do as much A/B testing as possible by testing one change at a time under like weather conditions in the exact same locations. While the modification videos on YouTube are great, none of them really did much before/after. Thought I would throw out what I've seen from the efforts:

1. FPVLR on the stock ST16 - Significant range boost for control, video, and telemetry. Effectively doubled the limits of the stock antennas
2. FPVLR on ST16+/ST16 modification - Again a large bump in range. All three antennas were FPVLR which produced another 30%. Range test over remote location reached 7200 feet.
3. Aftermarket RP-SMA Cables - Replaced the three main antenna cables inside the transmitter with cables from Embedded Works. Video was immediately pixelated and laggy. Reduced effective control to about 5000 feet. Not the expected result so switched back to stock wires.
4. ITELITE ST16+ Antenna - Replaced the FPVLR antennas with the new ITELITE. Repeated previous range test with a increased result of 8200 feet. No lag on video with picture quality back to standard. Really don't experience any dropout at all now.

As we know, most of these things void the warranty. I didn't have much left and haven't had any real problems so did the modification. My next step will be to mod the H with the exterior antenna modification. At that point, I should be able to fly without any interruption even when I hit the boundary of LOS and turn it back toward the transmitter (only scenario I can get the telemetry to "pause")

Hope this helps! If nothing else, another guy who likes the ITELITE over the FPVLR (in case someones trying to make that decision).

Thanks for the thorough explanation . Would you be able to answer my question on an issue I am currently having. I have made a dozen flights and am building up my trust in the copter to take it out further. However I am only out 700 ' and I consistently lose video under both sunny and cloudy conditions. Is there an internal setting I need to adjust to get more range?
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

How are the Tx antennas set? If they are aimed with the top of the antennas pointed at the aircraft you will have short range. If the are bent upwards, with the tops pointed upwards when you are holding the Tx, you will have better range and reception. There are no internal adjustments for range.

Thanks for the thorough explanation . Would you be able to answer my question on an issue I am currently having. I have made a dozen flights and am building up my trust in the copter to take it out further. However I am only out 700 ' and I consistently lose video under both sunny and cloudy conditions. Is there an internal setting I need to adjust to get more range?
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

No there is not. Range is relative to the area you live in. The more city like, the less range. Many factors are involved. I live in a city with 5 major airports -two are military with pretty serious disc and antennas everywhere. There are cell towers at least every 5 miles etc. The range on my H is barely 700 feet with stock antennas and over 1,000 feet with my Itelite DBS antennas. That is all I need. This is a photography/videography tool, not a long range scout. There is another brand out there that will let you fly up to 4 miles out. To me that is scary and foolish as far as safety is concerned. LOS is the best policy for my needs.

Reactions: Typhoon Steve
We do need to keep in mind some of our system is based on the use of WiFi. WiFi was never designed to function at long range, and the more WiFi emitters in a given area the worse our range will be. Even something as simple as a microwave oven can influence WiFi signal strength. In an area with lots of modern wireless routers we can anticipate even worse WiFi reliability. Our systems were designed around the FCC legal mandate they will accept interference, not generate it, leaving us with relatively weak broadcast strength. If you intend to do long range work, be prepared for whatever you get and understand whatever happens is not Yuneec's problem. It's a risk you assume.

Reactions: Typhoon Steve
Yep...it's less convenient and a trade off for me. I'll have to modify the foam in my case to see if it can fit without detaching every time.

I also changed over to the itelite antenna from the fpvlr and do like it a lot better for signal strength and reliability, mind you, I made the change to get the most reliable signal possible for LOS. As others have said, the yth is not meant to be a long range flyer and you are putting a lot at stake when you fly further out than you can physically see the frame. Far too much can go wrong, regardless of what sort of antenna system you have.

Agreed, the itellite antenna is a pain as it no longer fits in the case with the st-16 and I have, up until now, just left it attached and put the radio (with antenna attached) into another case, but I am going to look into some other options.
While searching, I found these 'quick disconnect' sma adapters (https://www.pasternack.com/sma-male-sma-female-straight-adapter-pe9546-p.aspx) - Providing they are appropriate, they may help speed up the time it takes to attach and remove the antenna.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval