Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Range too limited

Reaction score
First off i want to mention how much i love this package. What really sold me was the included steady grip although it only lasts 15 minutes (my mod kit is on the way) and it's ease of use. For first timers i honestly believe that with caution, one can fly the Q without crashing it. I have. And it's fun.

With that being said, i have to express my disappointment with it's video range. I was getting 800ft max. And the addition of an itelite DBS antenna helped, but I'm still losing the video feed when i need it, unobstructed at less than 2000ft. It's frustrating having to dump up to another $300 to modify it to get the range it should have ootb! At least i believe it should. Other models do.

So now I'm debating what next? Dbs helped, but i need more video range. What does everyone suggest? A booster, or a camera antenna mod, or both?

That looks promising. But as for the camera antenna, is that setup better than this one?

Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ or Q500 4K (CGO2 & CGO3) Antenna Video Camera Kit Mod | eBay

This one would be a bit cheaper, although not enough to warrant a decision. But if it's the same thing, why not? :) But I'll go with the best of the 2 here. I'm going to get on these right away though. Thanks for the input. I can't believe I never ran across that page as much research as I've been doing and watching youtube videos! hahah!

I would buy my parts as needed versus the kit.
For both mods you would need 2 kits. Not worth the money as you can buy the stuff much cheaper else where.
Jmo....
Keep us updated and let us know if you have any questions.
Good luck,
Jafo

Well I've done the camera antenna mod, and it helped. But not a lot. Maybe it's my neighborhood. Too much wifi congestion? Gonna take it out to the open somewhere and test it. See what we get. Still disappointing.

About 2000 feet then it starts dropping until lost completely. And it's within sight. I'm not flying it where i can't see it. It's just frustrating with everyone else reporting up to 5000! Granted, my 2000 may be sufficient. I just want to know i will have video feed, especially when it's father away. I will try it in a more open Area and report results. But looks like rain all week here now. :(

Reactions: rmiuirom
So what am I doing wrong, got my Q500 4k for Christmas and I could not get the thing to climb over 400ft? It would get to about 397 and that was it. I was hoping to get higher than 400ft.

Just a suggestion but maybe you should read the manual on how to change your flight settings in the GUI.
Flying over 400 feet really is not something you should do.
I also suggest reading FAA rules if you are in the United States.

So what am I doing wrong, got my Q500 4k for Christmas and I could not get the thing to climb over 400ft? It would get to about 397 and that was it. I was hoping to get higher than 400ft.

The original post is not referring to altitude but to overall distance.

The original post is not referring to altitude but to overall distance.
I did get that sfter few days of reading through everyone's posts. I think that most are stating 400 ft. I do wish that we could get a little higher. But I am good with the height. Now on to learn about batteries and longer flying times.

The FAA regulations say you can fly 400ft above the highest point of a structure, as long as you are within a 400ft horizontal range of said structure. So, if a structure's highest point is 1,000ft above-ground-level, you can fly 400ft above that point, for a total of 1,400ft above ground level.

Horizontal distance is limited to unaided view of the drone, meaning if you can see it clearly enough to judge its attitude and heading without the use of any other means besides the naked eye of you or your qualified spotter.
However, it's unclear if you cannot be so far away from your spotter that you require aid in communicating such as radios.

Also, flying by camera poses potential safety hazards unless you're in a large open area such as a canyon, desert, mesa tops, or over a large body of water with no risk of ground-based obstructions such as trees, transmission towers, street lamps, et al. The biggest risk you run there is losing signal and the drone either keeps going or simply stops moving until the signal is picked up again.
What I like about the Q500 4K is that if it loses signal, it goes into Home mode.

It is my understand that the pilot must always have line-of-sight, regardless of whether he uses a spotter. The spotter's role isn't just to keep an eye on the aircraft but to keep an eye out for other aircraft intrusions.

True, but if your spotter can see it clearly enough to relay attitude and directional travel in real-time even if the pilot can only see a dot, then you should be within regulation.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable running it out that far, even with binoculars or some other aid. It's just too easy to keep yourself within VLOS of the unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430