Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Real sense crash test

With RS engaged in smart modes other than CCC it is suppose to keep the H pointing in the direction of forward flight, but because of the shape angled approach and the fact the RS is detecting in a cone pattern he was to close to the breaches when turning into them and the branches slid behind the cone of detection

as well.

Just so you know
Hi Richk,
I am sorry but I took a lot of time to study this product before to test it in such conditions.

Extract from yuneek FAQ :
How does the RealSense work when it only faces forward?
In Smart Mode, Typhoon H will rotate so the RealSense points in the direction of travel while utilizing the 360° gimbal to automatically keep the camera trained on the subject.

In my case, the RealSense points in the direction of the branches, so it should have avoid it. But may be due to the speed or sun, the obstacles was not correctly avoided.

Just so you know vozman, we are here to help, not criticize, not give you a hard time.
You flew your drone recklessly to test obstacle avoidance.

You came at that tree at a really bad angle, and OBS is not 360 degree protection.

It is fine to test OBS, but you need to know how it works.

And the way you tested this imo just does not look correct at all.

Did you experiment with it, say flying it slowly towards a wall with your controller so that you could see it's sensors working on the screen of the ST 16 first and get used to the warnings it issues first before it actually starts to try to reroute itself? Did you try to slowly fly it towards a tree for instance with the controller so you could check the sensors and reaction of The H?

Read the literature on Real Sense. It takes a while to 3 D map an area, and it has limitations. You exceeded it's limitations.

It looks like you walked it in to a tree, but if you watch closely it seems like it did try to reroute, but the angle you steered it in to the tree did not give it time enough to reroute. So that is pilot error, and the pilot not knowing his craft and exceeding the limits of an Obstacle Avoidance System.

You flew that in to the tree at a very bad angle and asked it to detect very small branches at the last second while trying to have the drone position it's camera on you.

And I would be the first to place blame on the drone if I thought it was The Drone's Fault. Curious also why your clip was so short and started in mid air? Do you have the full version of all your tests of OBS & Real Sense that day?

Reactions: CC Rider
Even if RS is turned on it would be pointing at the direction of travel and you ran under the trees at an angle so that would be the direction it was pointing and RS wouldn't be able to account for branches that angle in from behind it. Had you run straight under the trees it would have turn more and sensed the branches. I've used RS many times and it's worked 100% of the time for me even with very thin branches. You have to know the product and what it can't do to use it successfully

This. Had he had The H following him from behind, and simply walked between those trees, the H would have had plenty of time to detect the trees and reroute.
It actually does a decent job of following people down a path, but again, how congested is the path?

It is not a Magic System, and it has to have somewhere to go, and enough clearance and time to find a new path.

This. Had he had The H following him from behind, and simply walked between those trees, the H would have had plenty of time to detect the trees and reroute.
It actually does a decent job of following people down a path, but again, how congested is the path?

It is not a Magic System, and it has to have somewhere to go, and enough clearance and time to find a new path.
The TH and RS don't care if they follow you from behind or the side. The RS cameras will always be pointing in the direction of flight, the only thing pointed at the subject is the CGO3.

To me is looks like the problem here is that a thin spindly branch was outside the RS camera's field of vision. RS does a great job with solid objects, but it has limitation when it comes to extremely complex and cluttered ones like bare tree branches. Asking it to navigate through that environment was asking a lot.

Reactions: CC Rider
Hi all!

I thank you for your feedback ! There are a lot a thing to answer regarding your different messages. I will try to do my best !:
- firstly : the main goal of this topic is to share with you my experience with this aircraft and explain why I personnaly think that RS is not so realiable as I expected
- My english is quite poor, so please forgive me some "direct" and "short" explaination
- I am aware that this test was recklessly for my drone, it does not need to insist on it because I a totally agree with you on this point.
- Before this test I did plenty of sucessful tests with obstacle avoidance : I did so many test that I was very confident in this technology. By the way the initial aim of this test was not to test obstacle avoidance but I initialy did it to test altitude tracking. I cut the video to only show what I thought interesting. I can show you more if are interesting. I also have a video from an other point of view.
- @Dr Delta : The 360 degree camera I mentionned in a previous message is the 360° gimbal that automatically keep the camera trained on the subject. I was just trying to awkwardly explain that in the used flying mode : RealSense points in the direction of travel while utilizing the 360° gimbal to automatically keep the camera trained on the subject.

My analysis of this crash : the RS was probably disturbed by a combinaison of the sun, the speed and the size of the branches.
About the trajectory, in watch me mode with wizard, this is the aircraft that choose his trajectory, so it is difficult to control any obstacle angle approach and I personaly think this is not so reliable as I would expected.

With RS on and the H obviously tracking you in Smart Mode, the Typhoon DID "...keep the camera trained on the subject" as you stated. Problem is, that means the Typhoon's forward-facing sensors were ALSO trained on YOU, and therefore could be of no help to you in avoiding objects laterally, not even if an 18-wheeler was parked there.

Hi CC Rider,

I think your afirmation is wrong : In watch me mode with OBS enabled Typhoon's forward-facing sensors are in the flight direction, not in the subject direction, you can check it in the documentation, by testing it or by reading the following FAQ : FAQ Typhoon H with intel RealSense-Technology - Yuneec

You can also read the previous post of @THoff about this.

Hi CC Rider,

I think your afirmation is wrong : In watch me mode with OBS enabled Typhoon's forward-facing sensors are in the flight direction, not in the subject direction, you can check it in the documentation, by testing it or by reading the following FAQ : FAQ Typhoon H with intel RealSense-Technology - Yuneec

You can also read the previous post of @THoff about this.

That may be. And I agree with posters THoff's and Tree's conclusions. But dude, you STILL just ran your Typhoon H into the trees. Pilot error, no system or equipment failure.

By the way, your usage of the English language is actually quite fine and good to me. It's A LOT better than most English-speaking people's usage of the English language I've seen and read. Much better. Like most Americans I am not bilingual (unlike the rest of the world is), so I'm certain your English is tremendously better than my ability would be if I attempted to speak or use your language. So thumbs way up to you in that department. And good luck to you, too, with your future Typhoon flights and tests. I hope you have better results ahead of you.

I looked at your video vozman, and if RealSense was actually ON, I think it should respond.
I tested RS couple of times with Watch Me and while it was pointing camera on my, copter was turning left/right for maping surroundings.
One time I was really scared as I was waling around hugh trees and in one point copter went inside those trees. Copter was inspecting surroundings and I went opposite direction so finally copter went out of the trees. It was scary but nothing happend, RS worked like it should.
But I had ST16 woth me, not wizard. Not sure how wizard works in this case.

Reactions: THoff and Rayray
Looks Like the drones fault, If RS was turned on that is.
As you say the RS is meant to ALWAYS point in the direction of travel. you will see it slow down and rotate on its axis to point the RS in the direction of travel. the 360 camera always pointing at the Wizard.
You see the Red light when it crashes showing that it was not pointing in the correct direction.
Also i could be wrong but don't you have to have the speed in turtle mode for it to have RS enabled... But in the video it looked like it was in Rabbit Mode.

Reactions: THoff
... The yuneec SAV analysed the fly logs and the conclusion is that in some conditions (like to much sun for example), obstacles can not be avoided by the system.

Hi Vozman, this is a rather interesting discussion. Would you be willing to share with us the flight logs?

Greetings!

Does Real Sense have a minimum height limitation in order to function? OA is 10' but I don't know about RS.

The ground can affect it. I ws flying over a corn field and it had a slight dip(less than 6" )that was iced over. When the realsense sensed it it paused for a moment then continued on it's path

When OBS is on, it forces The TYPHOON H in To TURTLE MODE.
And we are not sure if he actually had RS checked as installed in his settings prior to flight.
The Typhoon has forward facing Sonar Sensors that help it to avoid some obstacles too, but they are no where as good as Real Sense.

Reactions: THoff
Dude, seriously. Quit while you are ahead.

Check out your video again. It's as apparent as the Kennedy Zapruder film.

With RS on and the H obviously tracking you in Smart Mode, the Typhoon DID "...keep the camera trained on the subject" as you stated. Problem is, that means the Typhoon's forward-facing sensors were ALSO trained on YOU, and therefore could be of no help to you in avoiding objects laterally, not even if an 18-wheeler was parked there.

RS & OA are not 360-degree protection. They both have finite limitations and views.

Face it: You just ran your H into the trees. Period.

Hey, I keep watching the video as I read your comments and I can't see whatever you are seeing to tell you his RS wasn't facing forward while his camera was facing more toward the left, at him.
Keep in mind before you think I'm an idiot, I'm pretty new with only 6-8 or so hours on my H so I haven't used the RS, and probably will never risk testing it like he did, but I guess when I watched the video I thought like he did, that the H could, or would fly with the RS forward while the camera faced him. I'm not saying I'm not an idiot. I'm just asking you not to think so until after you tell me the answer that I'm failing to get.
Obviously the tree may have caused the H to turn more toward the front due the hit, but as it fell in the video it looked like the camera was faced to the left more than the landing gear which made me think like he was saying, that only the camera was faced his way, but not the H and RS.
Was it something in the way it was following him that tells you he had the whole TH faced at him instead of the direction it was flying?
You're probably going to answer it with something totally obvious and I'm going to punch myself in the neck for not seeing it and needing it explained. Ok, I won't resort to self violence but I'm sure you and others will think I should for not seeing what you're seeing.
Like I said, I don't plan to run mine toward trees, especially trees with no leaves to give it a better chance of seeing it, but now I'm just curious what you saw and what I'm missing.
Thanks

Hey, I keep watching the video as I read your comments and I can't see whatever you are seeing to tell you his RS wasn't facing forward while his camera was facing more toward the left, at him.
Keep in mind before you think I'm an idiot, I'm pretty new with only 6-8 or so hours on my H so I haven't used the RS, and probably will never risk testing it like he did, but I guess when I watched the video I thought like he did, that the H could, or would fly with the RS forward while the camera faced him. I'm not saying I'm not an idiot. I'm just asking you not to think so until after you tell me the answer that I'm failing to get.
Obviously the tree may have caused the H to turn more toward the front due the hit, but as it fell in the video it looked like the camera was faced to the left more than the landing gear which made me think like he was saying, that only the camera was faced his way, but not the H and RS.
Was it something in the way it was following him that tells you he had the whole TH faced at him instead of the direction it was flying?
You're probably going to answer it with something totally obvious and I'm going to punch myself in the neck for not seeing it and needing it explained. Ok, I won't resort to self violence but I'm sure you and others will think I should for not seeing what you're seeing.
Like I said, I don't plan to run mine toward trees, especially trees with no leaves to give it a better chance of seeing it, but now I'm just curious what you saw and what I'm missing.
Thanks

Greetings to you.

First of all, my friend, I wouldn't start off thinking you are an idiot just because you have a different opinion than I do. I never prejudge anyone. If someone is an idiot, then I give them ample time to prove it before I either join or lead the chorus that they are, indeed, an idiot.

Second, nothing you wrote or observed in that video indicates to me that you are an idiot, either. And I would not discount or invalidate your entitled opinion just because I have flown a Typhoon H more than you have. Quite often, in Life the student teaches the master (not that you and I are thrust in those roles). And I am always open to reason and learning from others unless our words and/or actions have excluded such a pursuit, which is not the case between you and I.

Third, just as I do not prejudge people, I also do not think I have the corner on the truth or about what is right or wrong.If you have about 8 hours of flight time under your belt and still have your H, then that translates into about 32 successful flights you have made. In my mind, that hardly qualifies you as a "newbie" or as someone whose opinions about the Typhoon H should be wholly dismissed due to a lack of experience with it. With 32 successful takeoffs, flights, and landings to your credit - as well as the hours I'm sure you have spent watching videos and reading about the Typhoon and its systems - your views and opinions deserve their full due merit and worth.

Finally, in all honesty it's been awhile since I viewed that footage, but give me a little time and I will review it again.(Today's a little crazy for me; my schedule is TOO busy for just one day!) I'd much rather speak knowledgeably to you than from just mere memory, which can always be faulty or sketchy. So, I'd be happy to discuss the facts of that flight with you soon.

Until then, I wish you safe flying and happy filming and photo taking. Weekend's coming up, so I hope you have the time and good weather to take to the skies. Talk with you again soon.

Reactions: Jester and Rayray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33