Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Red Props For The H

I have!

They do not!

That is, they accomplished two things for me - 1) at least on the ground I could absolutely tell when the props were spinning and at idle they create a groovy visual distortion effect if you look down toward them. 2) they make the craft look FAR more intimidating when unpacking and showing friends/family. However, airborne, it felt like they actually were less visible.

Also - they sound very different - while I don't believe this is due to color, I think it's because they weren't designed or molded correctly. Other than sound, I didn't observe anything negative with flight, per se.

Reactions: BeeRAD56
I have!

They do not!

That is, they accomplished two things for me - 1) at least on the ground I could absolutely tell when the props were spinning and at idle they create a groovy visual distortion effect if you look down toward them. 2) they make the craft look FAR more intimidating when unpacking and showing friends/family. However, airborne, it felt like they actually were less visible.

Also - they sound very different - while I don't believe this is due to color, I think it's because they weren't designed or molded correctly. Other than sound, I didn't observe anything negative with flight, per se.
Thank you. Based on that report, I think I'll stay away from them. I've also been thinking about painting a set of OEM props. Has anyone tried that?

You have to be careful with painting as even 0.1 grams extra one side or the other can make a huge difference to balance when they're spinning at tens of thousands of rpm! I'd recommend doing something else for visibility like LEDs or high vis reflective strips around the arms etc

You have to be careful with painting as even 0.1 grams extra one side or the other can make a huge difference to balance when they're spinning at tens of thousands of rpm! I'd recommend doing something else for visibility like LEDs or high vis reflective strips around the arms etc
Yes, good point. I thought if I tried painting them I'd put them on a prop balancer and tune them before running them. Probably not worth the effort however. I'm interested in the Lume Cube as a high vis lighting system but I have real sense and not sure about interference issues. ****, I think I just highjacked my own thread!

Thank you. Based on that report, I think I'll stay away from them. I've also been thinking about painting a set of OEM props. Has anyone tried that?
I had a bad experience with the Aftermarket Red Props I bought for my Q500 as I couldnt get them to balance, so I swore off of Aftermarket Props.
I have painted some of my stock H props Red with Valspar "Paint for Plastic" in the spray can. I checked the balance of the Props both before painting and after and I did not notice any change in the balance, they were still balanced after painting. I didnt really lay the paint on thickly, I just painted the Props to a point where I achieved good color and then stopped. Was about 2 coats if memory serves.
The only thing to be careful of when painting your props is dont paint too much on the bottom side at the Hub, where the Prop attaches to the H motor. You dont want to clog it up and make it difficult to install AND take off.
I installed 2 of my Red Props on the front 2 motors of my H, just to help me a little with long-range flight orientation.
For those that might want to know, the Valspar Red Paint I used was Valspar # 68104, Red. Hope this helps.

Yes, good point. I thought if I tried painting them I'd put them on a prop balancer and tune them before running them. Probably not worth the effort however. I'm interested in the Lume Cube as a high vis lighting system but I have real sense and not sure about interference issues. ****, I think I just highjacked my own thread!
I had the Lume Cube Adapter with a pair of WanSen Lights on my H with Realsense and it fit fine. All you do is take the top part of the Camera/Gimbal Mount off (easy to do, it pops right off) and replace it with the Lume Cube Mount. The Lights are mounted off to the sides of the Lume Cube Mount and everything clears. Easy-Peasy, no need to worry if you have the Realsense version of a Typhoon H.

I had a bad experience with the Aftermarket Red Props I bought for my Q500 as I couldnt get them to balance, so I swore off of Aftermarket Props.
I have painted some of my stock H props Red with Valspar "Paint for Plastic" in the spray can. I checked the balance of the Props both before painting and after and I did not notice any change in the balance, they were still balanced after painting. I didnt really lay the paint on thickly, I just painted the Props to a point where I achieved good color and then stopped. Was about 2 coats if memory serves.
The only thing to be careful of when painting your props is dont paint too much on the bottom side at the Hub, where the Prop attaches to the H motor. You dont want to clog it up and make it difficult to install AND take off.
I installed 2 of my Red Props on the front 2 motors of my H, just to help me a little with long-range flight orientation.
For those that might want to know, the Valspar Red Paint I used was Valspar # 68104, Red. Hope this helps.
Thank you. That's very helpful.

I have!

They do not!

If it scares manic seagulls and hawks in my area then they're worth it. I guess the minimal cost and testing can be done. Stay tuned! :D

I had painted the original OEM props yellow (actually, right after I realized the red ones weren't effective) with regular spray paint. Without even thinking I ran into the exact issue @samsflite mentioned. Even at startup in idle it sounded horrible and I realized it was from the weighting of just a couple coats of the paint and my - most likely - poor application of it. However, even at idle, I could barely make out the props, similar to the way I couldn't see a significant impact of color via the red ones. I ended up just going to Best Buy to buy all new Yuneec props and avoid color altogether.

To that point, I'd definitely say it's best to go with some sort of aftermarket lighting solution versus anything with the props.

Has anyone tried these?

Yuneec Typhoon H RED Propellers

Wondering if they help with visibility?
I have been involved in the color industry for 38 years. The brightest on the color spectrum as for visibility is yellow. The color of the props will never make a difference as to seeing them or not, as they spin so fast the color blurs out. But if you want to see the drone from further away, then paint the underside high visibility yellow. In most cases you will need to prime it with a tinted undercoat. Best bet is to go to an auto-body supply shop. Let them know what you want to paint ( plastic ), and in most cases they will have the correct color in a spray bomb, as well as the undercoat. Remember to clean the drone surface from all oils before prime and paint. Apply the color in thin light coats, not worrying about coverage on the first two coats. Some high visibility colors can take up to 6 coats to get proper depth of color.

Hi,
I did indeed buy a set of these props. Up close they look quite cool but at distance they do not give any advantage as far as visability is concered.
One thing I did discover is that all the "A" props are out of balance on the blade with the A stamp on them. The B props were ok.

Here ya go we did this for fun and it's our back up really have not flown it long distance yet

Attachments

• 20170409_162137.jpg
    20170409_162137.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements