Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Return Home Killed Motors Inflight

Reaction score
Took my H for flight first time after upgrading firmwares, both the controller and the drone, to the latest version. Taking off and rotating the drone worked OK but no response to a right stick controlling movements (Mode 2 selected). The drone then started to drift over nearby bushes. And because I could only control altitude and rotation and wasn't able to return it to the takeoff field (tried Smart and Angle mode, no response in either), I turned a mode switch to a Return Home mode. That instantly killed motors droping the drone from 3m altitude on a rock breaking one landing gear and a gimbal mount. Any idea what went wrong with upgrades? Tested this on the ground without props and same thing: as soon you switch to the Return Home mode, motors dies. Not very good when that function should save your drone.

Did you clear flight data, rebind the H and camera and then recalibrate after upgrading?

Checking your FlightLog-Data can help to find the problem.
If you have done any changes in the channel-settings, you can set the CH0 to "0". That kills/starts the motor.
CH0 for starting and stopping the motors has the same function as the throttle up-stick, but this stopps @30%

I did calibrations but didn't clear flight data. And just tested after recalibrating accelerometer and compass, same thing: RTM killing motors. Here you see the test on video:

What is your RTH height set at? Could it be so low it just kills the motors? No idea just asking.

should not shut the motors off in RTH.

Not at that height. I think a couple members said RTH will kill the motors IF the H is just above the ground. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. Heck, I'm also against hand-catching unless you're on a mountainside.

This is the first time I've heard of this type of "failure".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at that height. I think a couple members said RTH will kill the motors IF the H is just above the ground. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. Heck, I'm also against hand-catching unless you're on a mountainside.

I think RayRay is right about testing it at that height, I remember reading it needs to be at a curtain height to test and I am pretty sure is to low.

It may be due to the height, but should still NOT happen.
When I have used RTH (was about 20' up but 300 feet away) it rose to my set height of 100' flew back to above me, descended, and landed, shut the motors off.
I would think that 3 meters or about 10 feet should have been high enough for a normal RTH.
You need to call Yuneec, the H should NOT have behaved like this.
Soon as it quits snowing, I am going to test a few things.
The video you showed may be correct. You did NOT have the props on, and when you hit RTH the H saw the motors were at idle, and it thinks it is already landed. I want to see how low you can be and activate RTH from a flying condition.

I did calibrations but didn't clear flight data. And just tested after recalibrating accelerometer and compass, same thing: RTM killing motors. Here you see the test on video:

This is not a flight, this is standby at the buttom. The H thinks he is already landed.

This you can also simuate with the UAV-Simalator. This does not happen when you are flying.

I thought it might be that when testing on the ground. But here's last lines on telemetry data of crashed flight showing that hight was 8 ft in the end. There's also remote data from those last seconds showing A01 and A02 change, which are controlled by the flight mode switch. Manual says:

"B) When flying lower than 33 feet (10 meters) Typhoon H will climb to 33 feet (10 meters) while flying back to the home point, or active home position, then will descend vertically until it lands."

I was about 10 meters away from the Drone when it happened. I sent mail to Yuneec EU yesterday but no answer yet. And I can't rerun firmware update to the Drone because the broken gimbal mount (no WiFi connection). There's that control problem which need to be solved too, no response to the right stick. The remote controller seems working OK when testing channels. Weather forecast promising more snow in next two days, maybe after that snow banks soft enough to crash in safely :)

Flight data of crach.jpeg

A01 and A02 is correct, Flight_Mode_Switch and Home_Mode_Fuction

Not OK is imu:status 97 Looks like your barometer do not work korrekt

This is what Yuneec EU said: "You are to near to the Typhoon H with you remote control, the H already thinks he is back home on the point and landed so it will switch of." So it seems that it's build in fail. But I got a new camera mount today and with it, I installed firmware again and now the H flys fine. Didn't dare to try RTM when near me though :)

Took my H for flight first time after upgrading firmwares, both the controller and the drone, to the latest version. Taking off and rotating the drone worked OK but no response to a right stick controlling movements (Mode 2 selected). The drone then started to drift over nearby bushes. And because I could only control altitude and rotation and wasn't able to return it to the takeoff field (tried Smart and Angle mode, no response in either), I turned a mode switch to a Return Home mode. That instantly killed motors droping the drone from 3m altitude on a rock breaking one landing gear and a gimbal mount. Any idea what went wrong with upgrades? Tested this on the ground without props and same thing: as soon you switch to the Return Home mode, motors dies. Not very good when that function should save your drone.
Was it flying OK before you upgraded the firm ware ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
premadsoftwaresolutions