Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

1. Jens Thyssen

Hi, I can see that RTH has been discussed a lot, but I need an answer/confirmation about what happens if the ST16 in some way get a malfunction. I have an answer from Yuneec that the H will return to the last known position of the ST16 and stay hovering there until further instruction is being giving. And we still pretend that the ST16 is down, the clock is ticking and so is the flight time of the battery. The H is hovering in 30 feets - what to do??? ;-)

2. Graeme Buckley

Hard hat, safety glasses and catch it??

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Dewster and Samuel Fowler like this.
  3. Reasty

Run back to the car to get the step ladder?

Samuel Fowler likes this.
  4. Yuneec_Usa

RTH will be automatically activated (once machine reaches a certain battery voltage) and land at the last known position of ST16.

5. Steve Carr

Steve Carr Moderator
    Staff Member

When the battery gets low enough, the H will autoland around 25' from the last known position of the controller.

Samuel Fowler, abinder and Yuneec_Usa like this.
  6. Reasty

Ahh I was going to say surely if the st16 is off its the same as the typhoon going out of range and RTH will be activated ad the H will put the legs down and land.good to know!

7. Rayray

Rayray Moderator
    Staff Member

Has any member here actually had this experience? If so, tell us about it. I am darn sure not going to test this with my H Pro!

8. PatR

You can simulate this activity quite easily, although I don't recommend it. Simply enter tablet mode while in flight. The ST-16 telemetry is instantly cut off and the H will rise to 30' altitude if it had been lower or return at the altitude it had been flying at if it had been higher than 30'. The H returns to the last known position of the ST-16 and hovers until it's told what to do next. If it is told nothing it will wait until the low voltage settings are triggered, lower the gear if they had been raised, and land.

I know this because I accidentally did it the first time I went out with the H. I accidentally hit the tablet button when changing camera settings and like a dummy I replied with a "yes " click when the system asked me if I really wanted to leave telemetry mode. Not knowing any better I said yes. Well, the H climbed about 8' to achieve that 30' minimum RTH height, came back, and just hovered there while I was trying to figure out what had just happened. I didn't figure it out until leaving the tablet for the home screen. Lesson learned, don't go to the tablet to check e-mail while you have the H in the air;) Another thing learned is control returns almost instantly after re-entering telemetry mode.

Jens Thyssen and Steve Carr like this.
  9. Steve Carr

Steve Carr Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't be afraid to test it, although others have already done it on this forum. It's basically RTH mode which I have tested and it works as advertised. The main concern would be if there isn't at least 50' of clear area in front of the ST16 facing the line of flight. Since it will autoland about 25' from the controller in the line of flight. That would be the reason you would never want to use RTH in a boat. It's gonna land in the water as several people have sadly discovered.

10. Jens Thyssen

Thanks for all the feedback, I will try it later on and see what it does. As some of you write the low voltage will trigger the auto land function :) when it has hovered long enough.

11. BobW55

BobW55 Moderator
    Staff Member

YES.....
    I actually while in flight, had my ST-16 battery die.
    The H flew back to near where I was standing (tail light was blinking red) and just hoovered at about 25 feet up. I am told that when the H battery got low enough it would have auto landed. In my case this would have been on top of a small tree.
    I did not wait for this to happen, plugged my ST-16 into my cars USB port and was able to reconnect to the H and land it on my own.

Rayray and Jens Thyssen like this.
  12. Rayray

Rayray Moderator
    Staff Member

I like that. Cool thinking under pressure.
    With more time, I'm sure we'll hear all sorts of funny (or horror) stories from H owners.

13. ChatKLF

I'm turn off ST16 nearby H when H fly at 5 m. height. H hold position and altitude until H battery empty, H will automatic landing.

14. BobW55

BobW55 Moderator
    Staff Member

See this post: Now I am really POed
    Not sure about the AUTO landing part, I know Yuneec states that it will, but I would rather not test it on my own. I have let the RTH (Flipped the switch to RTH) auto land, worked really well, only slight bounce even shut off the motors.
    Make sure you're in a WIDE OPEN field. if you intend to turn off the ST-16 and test it.

15. Jens Thyssen

I am glad that I raised this issue, it seems like there is no simple answer to what the H will do, it is defiantly going to be tried out in a wide open field :)

16. Steve Carr

Steve Carr Moderator
    Staff Member

In this case it's a straightforward answer. It's basically RTH except it waits to land until there is a low battery alarm. It will fly back to the last known position of the controller and land around 25' away in the line of flight.

17. Vegasrobbi

I assume it will do something similar to the end of this video where I switch off the Wizard.

Batfire, horizontal and Steve Carr like this.
  18. Steve Carr

Steve Carr Moderator
    Staff Member

Exactly right. And that's a great video. Thanks for posting.

19. Markinter

Might be a good idea for us to have a portable battery pack to charge RC just in case battery dies and we aren't near the car. The ST battery doesn't run as long as dji so I check it more often. I'm sure having to power the screen really sucks up the juice.

20. RiverRunner

Thanks for that video. Very educational.