Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

S1 switch + GPS lock

Reaction score
Q one: What's the difference.with the S1-switch is in up or middle position? Can't find anything about that in the manual page 16 or in this Forum.
Q two: Can I see if the sats shown at the H and ST16 are locked or not?

Best from Sweden

Q one: What's the difference.with the S1-switch is in up or middle position? Can't find anything about that in the manual page 16 or in this Forum.
Q two: Can I see if the sats shown at the H and ST16 are locked or not?

Best from Sweden

There is no difference with the default set up. I have gone into switch settings and set the forward facing position of the camera lower in the middle position. It is possible to give that position a role. How comfortable are you with the programming? I have changed expo rates to get better responses from tilt and pan relative to switch position. By lowering the curve rate down you can change the tilt ratio and create a less high angle and better balanced with horizon default camera position in S1 middle position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Middle position of the S1 switch does nothing. It's a three position switch that was employed for a function that only requires a 2 position switch. Perhaps done this way to reduce the number of different parts needed to be maintained in inventory.

S1 controls the maximum elevation of the gimbal, with the upper position of the switch named "Angle" and the lower position named "Velocity". The upper position, Angle, reduces the maximum elevation achievable and is a tremendous assist to the user in keeping propellers out of the video/image frame. Use it for most of your lower speed imagery work. Velocity permits the camera to position lens elevation a little higher and is best used when flying at high speeds. Most will use this position but infrequently. If S1 is moved to the middle position there will be no change in camera elevation from the previous position it was in. The switch has to move to either the top or bottom position to effect a change.

As for GPS lock, there is no way to establish state of signal strength or time of acquisition via the ST-16. Even when using the GUI, satellite strength is only displayed in vertical color bars. The taller the bar the better the signal. The ST-16 provides two screen locations to view satellite count, one for the ST-16 and one for the aircraft. The one for the ST-16 is located at the top right corner of the view screen between the battery indicator and the time. The aircraft satellite count is displayed in the most left vertical "aircraft state" column of icons. Our only other gauge of GPS state is the indicator light at the back of the aircraft.

Although not asked for, a word of caution. If contemplating flight inside of a building, do not rely on the displayed number of satellites to determine if you have a GPS lock adequate for flight. Unless you are flying in a fabric construction tent GPS will not be dependable. When inside a structure the number the GPS satellites displayed represents a very weak and unreliable GPS signal.

Last edited:
Middle position of the S1 switch does nothing. It's a three position switch that was employed for a function that only requires a 2 position switch. Perhaps done this way to reduce the number of different parts needed to be maintained in inventory.

S1 controls the maximum elevation of the gimbal, with the upper position of the switch named "Angle" and the lower position named "Velocity". The upper position, Angle, reduces the maximum elevation achievable and is a tremendous assist to the user in keeping propellers out of the video/image frame. Use it for most of you lower speed imagery work. Velocity permits the camera to position lens elevation a little higher and is best used when flying at high speeds. Most will use this position but infrequently. If S1 is moved to the middle position there will be no change in camera elevation from the previous position it was in. The switch has to move to either the top or bottom position to effect a change.

As for GPS lock, there is no way to establish state of signal strength or time of acquisition via the ST-16. Even when using the GUI, satellite strength is only displayed in vertical color bars. The taller the bar the better the signal. The ST-16 provides two screen locations to view satellite count, one for the ST-16 and one for the aircraft. The one for the ST-16 is located at the top right corner of the view screen between the battery indicator and the time. The aircraft satellite count is displayed in the most left vertical "aircraft state" column of icons. Our only other gauge of GPS state is the indicator light at the back of the aircraft.

Although not asked for, a word of caution. If contemplating flight inside of a building, do not rely on the displayed number of satellites to determine if you have a GPS lock adequate for flight. Unless you are flying in a fabric construction tent GPS will not be dependable. When inside a structure the number the GPS satellites displayed represents a very weak and unreliable GPS signal.
Hi PatR - Thanx! Couldn't get a better and understandable answer / response to my Q´s! Great - now I know and have learnt alot again.

Ok so if we can make it a three position switch which it clearly is, I like I can do with any advanced radio, why wouldn't we? It's just lack of expo curves. You can get some really great options with the switch and rates. I've got velocity mode where it does not get too high anymore but still a great high angle without blade shadow. You can even influence different rates of tilt between S1 positions. I left up alone but middle rolls camera slightly down and helps for faster motion when stops want to swing drone down but gimbal stays level and motor pods show up in shot. I get the hopefully functioning aux button doing nothing but there is tremendous flexibility in angle mode camera control with those two positions that's completely ignored in basic set up.

That may depend on how the system is programmed and in what the switch position is permitted to do. If the middle position is not linked or assigned to the control coding it's little more than dead space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may depend on how the system is programmed and in what the switch position is permitted to do. If the middle position is not linked or assigned to the control coding it's little more than dead space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it is. Again, the ST 16 has lots of user control features for "advanced" users. While some are slippery slopes like mucking with throttle curves, the gimbal tilt switch is one you can safely experiment with on a bench. I've spoken with Yuneec and the biggest challenge to understanding the St is how the turtle rabbit slider is basically an active DR curve. It's a moving flight mode switch but you can't see how it changes stick input values at the programming screen. It's definitely not a place for people who have never programmed a radio though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval