Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

SFOC ISSUES

Reaction score
Hello any one dealing with any SFOC issues . Would like to talk with anyone not satisfied with the way the process is preformed . PM me if you would like.

Its Canada's Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) needed to fly commercially. Just would like to hear from other Canadian Pilots to see what they think about the process

Thanks. In the UK it's called PfCO. Hope you get a good response...a growing issue, globally.

Its Canada's Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) needed to fly commercially. Just would like to hear from other Canadian Pilots to see what they think about the process
I gave up on the SFOC. Min wait 20 days......impossible!......Waits are a lot longer. I have a few friends that have said they are past 3 months so far. Their businesses are now closed as they can not do any work with waits that long. 20 days is even too long. The answer needs to be daily. Transport Canada only has a few physical offices throughout the country and with the short outdoor window we have in Canada, the system is failing new businesses. If you read on TC's site about who was involved in the rule process, it was none of us. It was all big business, MAAC ( aholes ), and massive UAV companies. What they are essentially doing is killing the industry in Canada, but protecting these big guys that do land surveys. Having them do it is costly compared to a small drone, so it is eating into their business, and that is why they want us squashed. Fear of competition to some extent. But do go on their site and read. Some is hard to find, but just keep looking.

I know what your talking about Murray they are killing any opportunity to try and start up a new operation. I called there hotline on Friday to have them explain one of there many definitions after listening to there 19 options I chose #17 general inquires the message i received was . DUE TO THE OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF CALLS THE GENERAL INQUIRE SERVICE WILL BE TEMPORALLY SHUT DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. (WT...)
We have 2 SFOC applications in waiting approval they are over 6 weeks old, I am contacting someone on Tuesday to find out what the hold-up is (if they aren't getting to many calls) , If I don't get a reasonable response my next phone call will be to my MP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray Martz
I know what your talking about Murray they are killing any opportunity to try and start up a new operation. I called there hotline on Friday to have them explain one of there many definitions after listening to there 19 options I chose #17 general inquires the message i received was . DUE TO THE OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF CALLS THE GENERAL INQUIRE SERVICE WILL BE TEMPORALLY SHUT DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. (WT...)
We have 2 SFOC applications in waiting approval they are over 6 weeks old, I am contacting someone on Tuesday to find out what the hold-up is (if they aren't getting to many calls) , If I don't get a reasonable response my next phone call will be to my MP.
I find MP's are useless until you tell them this....... I voted for you as many others did. I don't care about your part lines as they mean nothing to me. What does matter is I voted for you as many others did to be my voice. Well now it is time to pay the debt that is due. IF you are not willing to be my voice, I will do everything I can to make sure you are not in office next time. Your obligation is to me, not your party.......When I lived in Prince Albert, I had a guy that would never return calls or letters. When I finally made that comment on his site.....things changed pretty fast. I hope you get somewhere with this. I know there are people out there with blanket ones.....but how the $%^# did they get one when it is taking longer and longer to even get one to start with. This minister is a real prick!

Yea I know my MP so I will need to see him in the day time because it won't be very bright in his office. I will let you know how I make out. I'm just sending out another application for the entire Township

I have 6 SFOC's, 3 have been approved. 2 I am still waiting for. the last one is for a standing SFOC. I started last summer. I am coming up on the 1 year mark. The fastest I got an SFOC was 40 days. Most are taking much longer.

Thanks Oldsc00ld0g that really gives me a boost of confidence in the system . pretty tough lining up jobs and telling customers no problem might be able to get to it in the next few months. just what do they consider a complicated SFOC

When the businesses start to realize the process is costing them money in order to assure that large aerospace corporations can make even more money they will start to complain to upper levels. Legislators pay more attention to those paying the big tax bites that keep them in office.

There's also a new form you have to fill out as of June 1. I have spoken a few times with TC agents. They are getting around 60 SFOC request a day. They a vastly understaffed to process them. It's also their *** on the line if we mess up because of bad planning or we are just idiots that they let fly. So they are extra careful to cross all the t's and dot the i's. One you get one approved it get simpler to wright. Make sure you have your insurance in place. It's a chicken and the egg sort of deal. Mine renews in July. I am hoping to have a standing sfoc before then. Thankfully I have been able to fly enough to make the wait worthwhile. Best of luck.

Thank you , just what we need another form to fill out, yes all insurance certifications,proper dress code ,and new hair cuts in place. Still hammering them with more applications until all approvals are in place . Hope you the best of luck with the standing SFOC

When the businesses start to realize the process is costing them money in order to assure that large aerospace corporations can make even more money they will start to complain to upper levels. Legislators pay more attention to those paying the big tax bites that keep them in office.
Except in Canada we don't complain much, and even if we do it falls on deaf ears. If a business wants drone work done here and you can't do it, they move on to the next guy that can, and so on.

The only way to do any business is with a Standing SFOC. The timing for approval on one of applications makes it impossible.

Hello any one dealing with any SFOC issues . Would like to talk with anyone not satisfied with the way the process is preformed . PM me if you would like.
You can see our blog for various articles and info on the regs and SFOCs - in the flitelab

Wait times vary from region to region. I've heard recently PNR added new inspectors and some have seen turn around in a couple weeks. Atlantic is well over 2 months, 3 in some cases.

SFOC's in Canada is a daunting process, hurry up and wait kind of thing. If you are flying for commercial, can you operate under the Exemption's until you receive your SFOC? You have to send in a flight form to TC for each flight. It's a pain but it may work in the meantime.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt