Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Shell decorating and GPS reception

Reaction score
Hi All,

Question for any GPS knowledgable individuals.

Many people decorate their H body-shell, my question is would a metalilc spray paint affect GPS reception?

The paint I am considering is gold chrome in colour but does not contain any conductive material
(I test sprayed an area and did an electrical continuity test on the surface after it dried).

My question comes from the fact that radio waves are radiation, reflective surfaces reflect heat (radiation) so will they reflect GPS????

Come on brainiacs, stretch those grey cells :)

If the paint isn't conductive then it shouldn't make a pseudo Faraday cage, hence it shouldn't block RF. To test this, I would spray paint a sample then do a continuity test with a meter, then a resistivity test or skip that and just heavy spray paint a box or plastic tub and cover the drone with it to see if you get the same satellite reception covered and uncovered. Just make sure the box / tub is plastic or cardboard and test it unpainted first to establish if the paint is having any effect. Not a very scientific approach but its within the abilities of most hobbyists lacking a lab and proper testing equipment and methods without sacrificing your shell.

I'd put some tape on the GPS patch, paint that and try it out first.

I don't know the physics, but having used older marine GPS units, I've always been told not to paint any antennas. Seems like metallized paint — while not creating a Faraday effect — would nevertheless put metallic material between your GPS and the sats.

Anything you put between the receiver and transmitter will degrade the signal, the question is how much is too much...

My 2¢

Last edited:
OK, job done, looks fab, I did not paint the small GPS patch on top.
Just had it on the GUI and it has 12 sats in my living room so no problems there.

I now have a chrome gold H '''''BLING'''''''

OK, job done, looks fab, I did not paint the small GPS patch on top.
Just had it on the GUI and it has 12 sats in my living room so no problems there.

I now have a chrome gold H '''''BLING'''''''

Pictures! Pictures!

Wow that looks sharp. Actually I think leaving the GPS dome, and accents black makes it pop, along with the arms. Kind of looks like it should be that way. Nice job.

I was also wondering if anyone thought of hydro dipping a Typhoon H body shell but use a Carbon Fiber film for the process.

Maybe some lightning bolts!
26904-984-17089.jpg

September 2007 Gen 2 TOTM - Congrats to Darren "gunman" Pellecchia ! (NLOC #963) this use to be mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal