Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Some of my experiences with the Typhoon H

I just performed 3 consecutive landings and Home landed pretty smoothly (but not perfect, by any means) and about 10' away from where it was turned on and lifted off. The Angle mode seemed to work out best. In Smart mode it climbed back up a few feet after touching down and releasing the stick. On the next touch down I immediately killed power and that worked out well but it's a bit awkward since the power button is operated by the same hand as the left stick.

Once the legs touch down, hold the throttle all the way down until the motors go into "idle" - it will do this pretty quickly once it detects it's no longer descending. Then you can release the stick and hold the motor kill button at your leisure knowing the aircraft won't take off until you positively push throttle at least 10% above centre...

Reactions: HarveyC and Jared
What is IMU?
Inertial Measuring Unit, DJI has them on all their craft, most drones do too!. It requires recalibration after every jolt, firmware update. If you had one it would be available to calibrate in either your "Sensors" or somewhere in your "Advanced" setting in your controller interface. You know, where you can make camera adjustments, and controls gains. Have you watched Part 2 of the Kitchen Table Guy? He explains the controller very well, but didn't go into Advanced settings yet.

When/If the VPS module is available, I am sure it will eliminate the rough landings. Does the Yuneec have a IMU calibration? If it does, it may need calibration from all the bouncing around in shipments, that can play a factor in this issue. Are any others with the H out there, experiencing this issue???

Nope, see my other reply. It lands really nicely. As with all drones, you're best actively flying to the ground and not letting it wiggle about in ground effect (which is noticeably less with the H than the lower Phantoms, for example). Also, once it touches down, holding the throttle fully closed for a short period puts the motors into "idle" mode meaning you need to give some positive throttle to take off again.

I figure I'll probably get some long range antennas when available, though somewhat concerned about how directional they'll be. I'd like to be able to fly to the farthest corner of a field I farm which is maybe 3,500' from my house.

Someone I have been talking too who's got an H in the USA (where flying beyond visual range isn't illegal) has put some higher gain antennas on the ST16 and reports having full control and a video signal at about a mile out...

Nope, see my other reply. It lands really nicely. As with all drones, you're best actively flying to the ground and not letting it wiggle about in ground effect (which is noticeably less with the H than the lower Phantoms, for example). Also, once it touches down, holding the throttle fully closed for a short period puts the motors into "idle" mode meaning you need to give some positive throttle to take off again.
Simon, Thanks! does the H have imu calibrations and gimbal calibrations in Advanced settings or Sensor interface?

Give me a chance, only so many hours in the day! ;)
Gee! Must be grouchy, no morning coffee yet? Or too much wine last night ! LOL ! I was not rushing you M8, just giving him the facts! I do appreciate your informative videos and was sharing them with him, Gee !

Simon, Thanks! does the H have imu calibrations and gimbal calibrations in Advanced settings or Sensor interface?

It's in the main interface, there's a "calibration" button on screen which leads to calibration settings for GPS, Compass and IMU. I've not touched it because the manual didn't say I needed to, and the aircraft didn't tell me I needed to either. It's flown like a champ straight out of the box. DJI's Tech Manager in the UK tells me that the aircraft will indicate if it needs a compass or IMU cal, and mine hasn't, so I haven't! This suits me - I always preferred to calibrate the compass on the Phantom only when it needed it, having experienced first hand what happens if you lock in a bad calibration! I've always advocated (for any drone) performing a hover test on the first flight of the day - let the drone sit 10ft up, 10ft away and watch it for 30 seconds. If it hovers like usual, go fly. If it starts to drift unusually, particularly if there's a circular component to it, then bring it down and recal the compass.

Okay, thanks Simon, I'll give that a try. I think I reported on page 1 that I had tried landing with the throttle all the way down but it had wanted to tilt over but I'll try again. Newbie here.

Gee! Must be grouchy, no morning coffee yet? Or too much wine last night ! LOL ! I was not rushing you M8, just giving him the facts! I do appreciate your informative videos and was sharing them with him, Gee !

I know, hence the smiley. You'll need to get used to a little sarcastic humour from me. :)

Reactions: DroneClone
Simon, are you using the filter that came with the unit? Thoughts?

If by "filter" you mean piece of clear glass, then yes. But only after I took it off and gave it a thorough clean - the protective film that came attached to it seemed to have an adhesive on it, rather than being of the static variety. Peeling it off left some residue. I suspect if I hadn't noticed it would have shown up in the images...

Hobby Mounts from the UK are sending me some ND versions - I want to see if that helps with prop shadown when flying directly into sun...

It's in the main interface, there's a "calibration" button on screen which leads to calibration settings for GPS, Compass and IMU. I've not touched it because the manual didn't say I needed to, and the aircraft didn't tell me I needed to either. It's flown like a champ straight out of the box. DJI's Tech Manager in the UK tells me that the aircraft will indicate if it needs a compass or IMU cal, and mine hasn't, so I haven't! This suits me - I always preferred to calibrate the compass on the Phantom only when it needed it, having experienced first hand what happens if you lock in a bad calibration! I've always advocated (for any drone) performing a hover test on the first flight of the day - let the drone sit 10ft up, 10ft away and watch it for 30 seconds. If it hovers like usual, go fly. If it starts to drift unusually, particularly if there's a circular component to it, then bring it down and recal the compass.
Thanks Simon !, Good to know, as I have been calibrating my IMU after every firmware update on my P2,3 and 4. So I guess I won't be needing to do so, lest it asks! Thanks!

Yes, I noticed the sticky residue but only after some use. Still had less than ideal photo quality with some shots yesterday but it was late and in low light. Someone else reported it had terrible flare and I've noticed that but don't know how well other filters would handle that but will probably order the PolarPro filters.

I know, hence the smiley. You'll need to get used to a little sarcastic humour from me. :)
First time we've spoken, sorry, not used to that British humor, even though my Grandparents are from Worcester. Plus alot of us have not even seen hide nor hair of our H's and ordered on day one of preorders, Thanks for your help!

First time we've spoken, sorry, not used to that British humor, even though my Grandparents are from Worcester. Plus alot of us have not even seen hide nor hair of our H's and ordered on day one of preorders, Thanks for your help!

I know. And I know the individual dealers and even the individual Yuneec country companies are all frustrated as ****. However my understanding is that there was an issue with some component or other that wasn't up to their spec, so rather than push on through they waited until the right components were delivered and then got everything going again.

Of course I could be being spun the PR... but bearing in mind the firm date given that was then pushed back it's got to be something like that...

Reactions: DroneClone
Simon!!!

Have you used the full throttle down in Smart mode? I just tried doing so and had my H flip over and broke one prop. :(

I know. And I know the individual dealers and even the individual Yuneec country companies are all frustrated as ****. However my understanding is that there was an issue with some component or other that wasn't up to their spec, so rather than push on through they waited until the right components were delivered and then got everything going again.

Of course I could be being spun the PR... but bearing in mind the firm date given that was then pushed back it's got to be something like that...
What I was told also !

Simon!!!

Have you used the full throttle down in Smart mode? I just tried doing so and had my H flip over and broke one prop. :(
Oh no ! Harvey !, Don't fret, broken props happen. I don't understand what is going on? Smart should land the same as Angle ! So after touching ground and then just holding the left stick for 2 secs it tipped over. Did you hover too much before touching ground? I'd just hit the "OFF" button after landing? Boggles me, too windy? sounds like your H does not want to go into idle mode, do the props sound like they are powering down after 2 secs?

Simon!!!

Full throttle (i.e. left stick) should not input any control that would make it flip. Did it flip nose to tail or side to side? Did you accidentally put some rudder (left stick) input in while pulling down?

And no, I don't fly in smart mode. I've been flying "normal" for so long it freaks me out and I can't fly properly. That shouldn't make any difference, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430