Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 battery discharges when turned off

Reaction score
I went out the other day and the battery was discharged. It was 75% when last used. I disconnected the battery, reconnected and then it acted like it wouldn't charge. In reality the battery so discharged it took many hours to get back to fully charged state. Thursday it did the same thing.

Rinse repeat. Took it up for one flight Thursday, battery was >90% when landed and shut down.

Today it was completely discharged again.

Seems like I've had this H for just about one year. Now if I can only be patient enough to wait for the 80+ minute wait times for CS.

P.S. Seems like it started doing this after the last update, but don't quote me on that. Also, now while charging it stopped and will not charge at all.

Last edited:
The charge port on the st16 can only handle a very low ma charge rate . not sure the max . but I tried to use a fast usb charger and it screwed up something preventing it from completely shutting down . had to send back to yuneec .

I now take battery out to charge it as I did not like the slow charge rate .

Reactions: mjolah
It might be the micro-usb contact that fails. If you have the possibility to charge outside with another (real) lipocharger instead to be shure it isn't the battery it self that is destroyed.

The charge port on the st16 can only handle a very low ma charge rate . not sure the max . but I tried to use a fast usb charger and it screwed up something preventing it from completely shutting down . had to send back to yuneec .

I now take battery out to charge it as I did not like the slow charge rate .
It might be the micro-usb contact that fails. If you have the possibility to charge outside with another (real) lipocharger instead to be shure it isn't the battery it self that is destroyed.
Right. After it's charged, unplug it and leave it for a couple of days and then check it again. If it is discharging while it's unplugged then it's time for a new battery.

Right. After it's charged, unplug it and leave it for a couple of days and then check it again. If it is discharging while it's unplugged then it's time for a new battery.

yea when it happened to mine . yuneec sent new battery and it still went dead in a few hours just sitting unplugged .

if it like mine was . unplug the charger . make sure to turn off st16 .
when screen is black just tap the screen a couple times with power off .
if the battery indicator comes on then you have same problem i had and will have to send in for repair .
you should not get anything on screen if its truly off.

note: your battery must have some charge on it to find out if this is your problem .

Last edited:
yea when it happened to mine . yuneec sent new battery and it still went dead in a few hours just sitting unplugged .

if it like mine was . unplug the charger . make sure to turn off st16 .
when screen is black just tap the screen a couple times with power off .
if the battery indicator comes on then you have same problem i had and will have to send in for repair .
you should not get anything on screen if its truly off.

note: your battery must have some charge on it to find out if this is your problem .

I believe it most resembles what you are describing. In fact, it is exactly like yours. No new battery to test, but the screen should be dead after unplugging the USB cable. It's in a constant state of discharge.

yep battery will not help that problem if screen is not dead with power in off state .

the switch on the st16 is not a physical disconnect of power .

went through several people before they replaced my st16 . but they will want to send a battery
1st no matter what you tell them . its in there troubleshooting steps .

one thing i never tried before sending back was to do a factory reset on the st16.

if you want to try :
-----------------------------------------
charge battery good .
power on st16
open Pad
goto apps
click settings
scroll down to backup & reset
Factory Data Reset.
------------------------------------------

you will need to rebind after doing this so make sure you understand how before doing .
all data will be reset to factory .

no idea if it will help . but i know my android phone get a little wonky with charging and discharging
and a reset fixes it .

good luck

What I meant to say was to unplug the battery from the ST16. If it discharges when not connected to the ST16 then the battery is bad.

I have the venom pro2 charger for other drone batteries and it requires a balance lead, maybe I did something wrong hmmmm lol now I've got to try it with the spare when I get home.
Thanx

Some chargers require a balance lead for lithium chemistry batteries. You may need to make one up. Or, just use a tablet charger for the -16.

Reactions: Robert Brooks
The wheeled guru is correct!
Multiple cells on a multi-cell battery require
balancing. A single CELL does NOT.
I am now going to charge my -16 with the battery
out. I bought the ultrapower 120 duo.
Now is just need to find out what connector
the battery has. THANKS.

Reactions: Robert Brooks
yep battery will not help that problem if screen is not dead with power in off state .

the switch on the st16 is not a physical disconnect of power .

went through several people before they replaced my st16 . but they will want to send a battery
1st no matter what you tell them . its in there troubleshooting steps .
Yuneec did not suggest sending a battery. The ST16 is going back.

If they want to do a reset, that's fine, but the hope is they'll send me a new controller right away after I call for an update. If they end up keeping it for several weeks my patience level drains quickly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Yuneec did not suggest sending a battery. The ST16 is going back.

If they want to do a reset, that's fine, but the hope is they'll send me a new controller right away after I call for an update. If they end up keeping it for several weeks my patience level drains quickly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

What, you have patience?:)

Well it's still in a perpetual discharge state. They sent me a new battery with the ST16 which appears to have been either replaced (doubt that now) or cleaned and reassembled.

There were new lock washers on the antennae, both not tightened. Otherwise it does look nice and clean.

So the procedure is charge the battery, go fly, turn ST16 off, disconnect battery. I've also learned to always have an extra battery charged up as backup because I will inevitably forget to disconnect the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss