Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 Controller Wouldn't Boot Up and was warm 12 hours later

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new to the Yuneec community..just bought the Typhoon H, and flew it for the second time yesterday. Flights went fine, but the ST16 is not doing well..

When I tried to turn the ST16 on last night for flight 3, it wouldn't turn on...no fans, no splash screen, etc...just the blue light next to the power button was lit up. I wasn't able to get it started, so I was dealing with it this morning (12 hours later), I took it out of the case and the screen/center of the unit was warm...the power button was off.

So I put a call into Yuneec and will send an email, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any similar issues?

Thanks in advance

Chuck D. - Salisbury, Mass.

Hey Bill, thanks for the reply. No fans come on at all, nor did the screen.

At this point, because of it heating up like it did, I've disconnected the battery and will have to wait to hear from Yuneec. I don't need a fire.

-Chuck D.

At first I thought the battery was warm..but I actually think the heat was from the screen itself. The area that was warm on the unit was exactly in the area of the screen. It just bothers me that it happened with the power button in the off position.

Well...now the battery is out....treat it like a hard reboot. Now reinstall the battery and try turning it on one more time. You can still contact yuneec even if it works good.

Bill W.

Hey Bill, just a follow up..

Just plugged the battery back in, flipped the power button on, and had the same results...just the blue light came on, no fans or splash screen.

Good news is, I talked with Yuneec support yesterday, and they are sending me a new ST 16 tomorrow. They also have never heard of this happening.... figures I'm the first! They agreed that the best thing to do was immediately unplug the battery from the unit, under no circumstances should it have heated up that way.

So, thanks for responding... hopefully next one will be fine!

Thanks,
Chuck D

Reactions: BillyTexas
I experienced the same issue (except mine didn't get hot). When I powered it on I got nothing on the display, the blue light came on then got brighter after a few seconds (like normal). When I moved the controls I would hear beeps but nothing else. After several troubleshooting steps (i.e. removing the battery for extended periods of time, searching for a recovery boot option, etc).

This was the first time I have had to charge the ST16 as the drone has barely been flown. So I took it off the charger provided by Yuneec in the box and tried an Android phone charger that I have laying around.

After 15 minutes I turned on the controller and it's back!! So it turns out that the charger provided in the box not only does not charge the ST16 but it drains the battery!!

Hey everyone! I'm new to the Yuneec community..just bought the Typhoon H, and flew it for the second time yesterday. Flights went fine, but the ST16 is not doing well..

When I tried to turn the ST16 on last night for flight 3, it wouldn't turn on...no fans, no splash screen, etc...just the blue light next to the power button was lit up. I wasn't able to get it started, so I was dealing with it this morning (12 hours later), I took it out of the case and the screen/center of the unit was warm...the power button was off.

So I put a call into Yuneec and will send an email, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any similar issues?

Thanks in advance

Chuck D. - Salisbury, Mass.

LOL.. Hey Chuck, This is kinda funny to me for one small world reason. Im in Salisbury NC. And I’m having the same issue. My controller would not turn on or do anything except the blue light. Then one day, it came on and it worked about three times until I was ready to fly. Once I had everything outside and ready to go, there was NOTHING again. My controller will not come on, will not make any attempts to come on but will make sounds like beeping noise if I touch the directional type buttons.

I have had the same problem! I will turn on the controller by sliding the switch to the left as usual, but then I have had to put my finger on the right side of the switch with the switch in the normal on position and hold it there before the controller boots up! Wondering if some day it will quit, turn off my propellers and crash the drone! Sometimes it just boots up with no problems! When I do this procedure, it turns off if I don't hold it long enough(sometimes)!

@Weflytogethigh & @Balerman2019H

Are your systems still in the warranty period? That is not normal behavior for the power switch and it sounds as if it is bad or mounted improperly or misaligned.

While the TH will perform an RTH and autoland on the second low battery alarm when the control signal is lost, you do not have direct control of the aircraft at that point.

I avoided flying recently when I noticed my yaw control was slightly off. I had full deflection to the left, but slightly less than full to the right. It still centered fine. A couple of days later I had the time to open the ST-16 and remove the sticks and give the pots a good cleaning. A check in the Hardware monitor and Channel Settings confirmed proper operation once more.

My point is that part of being a responsible pilot is to ground yourself if your equipment is malfunctioning. Treat your UAV as if you were seated in it like a manned aircraft.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22