Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Still Shots now fuzzy - Updated all is well

A dng file is by nature flat (very little contrast) and also has very little saturation, you should not have to sharpen it...just increases contrast and saturation...what you're interpreting as a lack of sharpness is really a lack of contrast. I'm sorry you regard what I've said to you as BS I've been doing this longer than you've been alive and from your description in the first post I was addressing "fuzzy" issue...since you didn't understand what a dng file normally looks like I guess that's somehow my fault. Good luck with your professional career. www.michaelkienitz.com

My career will be just fine

So , the client picked these two :) He's happy for the little he paid - And I learned a bit -- In my 47 years of still photography I never messed with DNG files so, this will be fun in the future -- thanks guys for your help :)

Attachments

• YUN00028 copy.jpg
    YUN00028 copy.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 29
  • YUN00002 copy copy small.jpg
    YUN00002 copy copy small.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: RiverRunner
The shutter button on ST type controllers works best when pressed quickly. I've only had the -10+ and -16 but both function the same. FYI, when I first got the -10 about a year ago I tried holding the button down too. It didn't work back then either;)

Make you a deal. I've spent the last 12 years making a living flying unmanned stuff at home and abroad, prior to that teaching full scale, and only played with photography off and on. I'll be happy to share what I can about safe and functional unmanned operations and how to stay out of trouble with them if you'll share tips on post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So , the client picked these two :) He's happy for the little he paid - And I learned a bit -- In my 47 years of still photography I never messed with DNG files so, this will be fun in the future -- thanks guys for your help :)
Those look great. Glad you got it figured out. Many would be surprised at how blurry and noisy the raw data is from the sensor before processing. In most sensors, half the elements are filtered green, one fourth are filtered blue and the rest filtered red. (Look up Bayer filter array if you are not familiar with it.) Each sensor element only see shades of one color. The rest of the color data for each element is calculated from the adjacent ones, kind of a best guess. There is also an Anti Aliasing filter in front of the sensor which blurs the image to avoid moiré. This is why all unprocessed images need sharpening. Add to that the fact that these tiny lenses have diffraction even at f/2.8.
What software are you using to process your images?

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Those look great. Glad you got it figured out. Many would be surprised at how blurry and noisy the raw data is from the sensor before processing. In most sensors, half the elements are filtered green, one fourth are filtered blue and the rest filtered red. (Look up Bayer filter array if you are not familiar with it.) Each sensor element only see shades of one color. The rest of the color data for each element is calculated from the adjacent ones, kind of a best guess. There is also an Anti Aliasing filter in front of the sensor which blurs the image to avoid moire. This is why all unprocessed images need sharpening. Add to that the fact that these tiny lenses have diffraction even at f/2.8.
What software are you using to process your images?

Thank you, I am familiar with Raw and Lpg but not DNG so I freaked LOL but yes that data is there to work up the image. It hit me harder than it should but the client wanted raw data so when I looked at the images I was like, I can't give him this. Mickey was right about the light its was against me but stil, Anyway I use the old Photoshop 6 CS or Lite room 6cs, for video I use elements premiere 14 soon to move to 15 apparantly they have a way to match the music to the video better in that version. Thanks for the info and the kind words

The shutter button on ST type controllers works best when pressed quickly. I've only had the -10+ and -16 but both function the same. FYI, when I first got the -10 about a year ago I tried holding the button down too. It didn't work back then either;)

Make you a deal. I've spent the last 12 years making a living flying unmanned stuff at home and abroad, prior to that teaching full scale, and only played with photography off and on. I'll be happy to share what I can about safe and functional unmanned operations and how to stay out of trouble with them if you'll share tips on post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL Deal!

Thank you, I am familiar with Raw and Lpg but not DNG so I freaked LOL but yes that data is there to work up the image. It hit me harder than it should but the client wanted raw data so when I looked at the images I was like, I can't give him this. Mickey was right about the light its was against me but stil, Anyway I use the old Photoshop 6 CS or Lite room 6cs, for video I use elements premiere 14 soon to move to 15 apparantly they have a way to match the music to the video better in that version. Thanks for the info and the kind words
You my already be aware, but Google has made the Nik collection of plugins free. It has some nice sharpening routines as well as many other cool features.
Google Nik Collection

Hey ... I'm learning a lot listening to you all bicker back and forth plus learning a lot with all the good fellow chat also, this has been an outstanding forum for me. I'm new to drone flying, so a bunch of help there, got about 8-10 years of video and still photography under my belt, mostly self taught using 3 different Nikon DSLRs, Canon G30 camcorder, Panasonic GH3, Panasonic AG HMC 150 AVCCAM, several small action cams (go pro type) and I use Cyberlink Power Director 13, Corel Video Studio Pro X9 for video post and Cyberlink Photo Director 5, Corel Paint Shop Pro X6 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and I'll be installing the NIX thanks to you all for mentioning it on this forum for still photography post. Also I use the fastest SD cards I can afford.

Hey ... I'm learning a lot listening to you all bicker back and forth plus learning a lot with all the good fellow chat also, this has been an outstanding forum for me. I'm new to drone flying, so a bunch of help there, got about 8-10 years of video and still photography under my belt, mostly self taught using 3 different Nikon DSLRs, Canon G30 camcorder, Panasonic GH3, Panasonic AG HMC 150 AVCCAM, several small action cams (go pro type) and I use Cyberlink Power Director 13, Corel Video Studio Pro X9 for video post and Cyberlink Photo Director 5, Corel Paint Shop Pro X6 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and I'll be installing the NIX thanks to you all for mentioning it on this forum for still photography post. Also I use the fastest SD cards I can afford.

Not bickering . big boy spats and some extra ego thrown in when not needed -- but yes this is the best forum out there if we can keep the ego out and the helpful in :) And NIK is great!

Not bickering . big boy spats and some extra ego thrown in when not needed -- but yes this is the best forum out there if we can keep the ego out and the helpful in :) And NIK is great!

Good to hear Brian ... downloaded NIX, haven't installed yet, will do that today. Have a great flyin' day !!

Well update again LOL Thanks for the tip on just touching the camera button that has worked out great, but I tested both cameras today and they both have issues, one is soft to the left and one soft to the right LOL so off they go one at a time, they were not this way a few months back --

Attachments

• YUN00012 copy.jpg
    YUN00012 copy.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33