Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Strobe lights on my Typhoon

Got 2 ordered today. [I had to pass on the big-azz bicycle seat light.....maybe next month]

JohnL's commission check this month is approaching $3.58

Reactions: JohnL
Here is a vid with them installed on my Typhoon H, Red, White and green. In this video I flew out 600', I am sure I could see them further but the battery was getting low so had to land plus where I was at is not the best testing area. I tried it in a bit brighter light and could see them at 600' as well, couldn't see them in the vid I took at that range, but need to test it earlier in the day to see how visible it is. I will get some more and put aft of the left and right motor arms and a blue for the rear. I also have a strobe that I will put on the top that is visible to a mile during the day and 10 miles at night. But I need to figure out how to wire it in as it needs 11.5V for full effect but it will run as low as 3.1V if needed. Thanks for finding these JohnL.

Reactions: Chris McMillan
Thanks for the footage, but I'd really like to see daytime use... Don't plan to do much night flying. Be interesting to hear of the distance visible on a sunny day of the strobes. Thanks again.

Thanks for the footage, but I'd really like to see daytime use... Don't plan to do much night flying. Be interesting to hear of the distance visible on a sunny day of the strobes. Thanks again.

I will attempt to get some footage today. I did a run at about 8pm pacific time and I could still see the lights just fine with the sky as background at 600' but the GP couldn't pick it up. I think I need a real vid cam or try my DSL.

SO I did a flight on Wednesday and flew out to around 900'. You can sort of make out the lights when there is a dark background like trees but can't see them at all against the sky. You can see them at 700' though. The video footage you can't see them much further than probably 300' to 400'. I did buy more and will put 3 more of them on the aircraft, left, right and rear to see if that will at least help with seeing the left and right side at those distances. Your mileage may vary depending on how good your eye site is, mine is not good.

I prefer just 1-3 bright strobe light, either on the front or back installed in such a way that it can only be seen when facing toward me. If I get disoriented, particularly at night, the light leads me home. I don't see the point of having lights flashing in all directions all over the craft. Lately I've been using Volo's.

I understand, for me I am not only looking for that but over all visibility. How far out you want this to be visible?

I prefer just 1-3 bright strobe light, either on the front or back installed in such a way that it can only be seen when facing toward me. If I get disoriented, particularly at night, the light leads me home. I don't see the point of having lights flashing in all directions all over the craft. Lately I've been using Volo's.
What's always worked for me is two strobes mounted on the two forward arms of the craft. I tend to do most of my flying in the very late afternoon and at dusk. I also like night flying. I have been 1000m out at dusk and never lose orientation as all I have to do is yaw my vehicle until I see the flashes. Works great for me but I'll be the first to admit that in bright sunlight at mid day the strobes can lose their effectiveness.

Another big reason I like strobes is to make the vehicle visible to others when I am in fact flying at dusk, dawn, or night. My main concern is for the smartass paraglider fools that constantly encroach where they should not be. If I'm flying they can see and avoid which is really all that matters here.

What's always worked for me is two strobes mounted on the two forward arms of the craft. I tend to do most of my flying in the very late afternoon and at dusk. I also like night flying. I have been 1000m out at dusk and never lose orientation as all I have to do is yaw my vehicle until I see the flashes. Works great for me but I'll be the first to admit that in bright sunlight at mid day the strobes can lose their effectiveness.

Another big reason I like strobes is to make the vehicle visible to others when I am in fact flying at dusk, dawn, or night. My main concern is for the smartass paraglider fools that constantly encroach where they should not be. If I'm flying they can see and avoid which is really all that matters here.

Sounds similar to what I do, but unless flying missions don't go out 1000m.

Only my larger Y6 has the strobe setup and I'm not saying I don't have more lights, but turn off (not the H) all but the forward/aft strobe when relying for orientation by lights. I live in BFE, generally don't fly BLOS and keep low. Actually I use right yaw, right roll 99% of the time to get orientation back when out too far. If I'm lazy or can't see to get orientation back, will use what is the equivalent of Yuneec's "Smart Mode", or resort to RTL. All my other copters are Arducopter which can do just about anything you want. I have the P4 which IMO is too small for LOS navigation when out there a long way. Most I know rely heavily on FPV with their P's, which to be honest I just started using last year and keep the P4 close; too used to flying larger machines and depth of perception ain't what it used to be.

I keep the H well within LOS because it is purely a video machine for my use, so the stock lights are sufficient.

P.S. I do like those lights you posted; makes it real simple and no wiring. RMRC has them, will order a few.

you can always get this DS-30-1 Can be seen out to a mile during the day and 10 miles at night. But they are $50 and require you to wire them in.

I did use the tracking option .... just checked and as of the 14th they are on the way to Australia.

Anyway .... as I said before .... will give it until the end of the week.

Cheers :cool:

Don't want to worry anybody, but I've not received my Flytron order that was dispatched on 17th June. Complained and another order apparently sent out on 13th July but still got nothing at all here as of today.

Hey @Chris McMillan @OzCougar @Loquacious I'm a little perplexed why you guys are having problems getting your gear from Flytron. I've never had an issue and I've ordered from them about a dozen times over a three year period. Very strange. They are based in the U.K. and I am here in Spain, so maybe less shipping distance to get lost? Also, do you folks down under have really strict (meaning dicks) Customs officials? Maybe your package has been sitting in Customs for who-knows-how-long? This has happened to me on a number of occasions when I buy stuff from the US for shipping here...and it sucks.

Really sorry to hear about the delays, guys.:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox