Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Students shoot down drone with technology!

Could be highly illegal to possess and use. It is against Federal law to interfere with any lawful communications or transmissions. If the drone is invading a sensitive air space that has implications of breaching National Security then as far as I care Smoke it out of the sky with an EMP weapon.

I love how they said take it down without contact. If you take down a drone no matter how its done....federal offense. Obviously if the faa has restrictions of the airspace you shouldn't be there.

Bill W.

It appears to be just a noise jamming system in which you override the primary signal with a stronger noise signal. I'm sure the FCC would not approve such a device. There have been recent news stories in which the police are using drones with infrared cameras for search and rescue. In one news story they were looking for suspects that were hiding in a brushy area behind a car dealership that ran off on foot after shooting at the police officers.

According to my understanding FCC rules state that it is illegal to transmit a signal in the WiFi bandwidths that generates more than 4 watts of effective radiation in any direction. It is a technical term. I'm not a technical genius. duh. But it includes 4 watts of amplification on a dipole antenna and even lesser amounts of power on directional antennas. So if someone has designed a directional signal jamming device that interrupts the WiFi communication to a drone then it most likely would have to produce much more signal than the device it is jamming. This in turn would mean that it is an illegal transmitting device based on it's power output alone. So they would be violating more than one FCC law with it.

True. But the interruption of lawful communications is very serious especially if it causes loss of life or damages property.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio