Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Team mode fpv

Reaction score
I bought a new st16 to fly team mode. I connected both and all works well. What I would like to do is have a separate fpv cam for the H pilot to see where he is flying. I have a gopro, however it is on 2.4ghz. Also it would be to big and heavy. I know both controllers can connect to the cgo3+ but that creates lag and it wouldn't help the pilot if the cam is facing left. Having a small fpv cam with its own power source is ideal. Any suggestions that will actually connect to the st16?

I saw a picture of someone who had a similar camera mounted to the top of their H. Kind of dangerous due to the prop arcs. Looks like there would be room on the front side of the gimbal mount near the OBS sensor. depending on how big the camera is. Some of them are pretty tiny. I would be worried about LOS. If the camera operator in busy watching his screen, and the pilot has goggles on, who is watching the aircraft?

In a dual operator mode the payload operator should always be watching the screen or wearing the goggles. His/her job is completely about framing the shot. Watching the aircraft is counter productive to that function. The flight operator has to maintain visual with the aircraft and follow directions from the payload operator for course corrections that improve the shot. Ideally the flight operator would have a secondary visual depicting what the payload operator is seeing, along with a primary visual that covers the aircraft's flight path. The flight operator should not be using goggles.

A small 5.8 vTx that aligned with the aircraft's flight path would be a great tool for the flight operator since the -16 would be depicting what was being filmed. A good 5.8 system has range equal or better to that of the H. 2.4 would provide greater range but antenna size is quite a bit larger. 800 and 900 mHz systems have extremely long range but antennas are very large and FCC licensing is required. If considering a secondary FPV camera also consider using a secondary battery for the vTx to limit potential RF and EMI between the vTx and the flight control system. A 3s 900ma or 1000ma battery will power a 5.8 Gh system for about an hour, and they are cheap. You can mount a complete 5.8 arrangement with velcro if your not worried about vibration. The 5.8 video is not the product so a little vibration should not be a deal breaker. The old method of using an external monitor having a vRx still works just fine for a 5.8 feed. Nice thing about an external monitor is they can be set up at eye level, keeping the flight operators' eyes up instead of looking down at the 16.

The cgo3+ is supposed to be 5.8ghz. But with both st16s connected there is lag

Is it really bad? I've got a shot at second H for good deal to get the St to do team mode with two controllers. I'm hoping it's not crazy latent.

It is only lagged when BOTH are connected to the camera. If you connect one to the cam and the other not connected to cam....no lag

I got a local guy with backpack and two batteries for 900.00 in play. It gets me back up parts plus camera etc. My plan to distribute picture via HDMI from camera bound St so I can glance at shot as needed while piloting. I rarely look at St while flying as I learned how to shoot and frame without monitors for years already so this is an ideal approach. I just want sticks in my hand as pilot and not the wizard.

I got a local guy with backpack and two batteries for 900.00 in play. It gets me back up parts plus camera etc. My plan to distribute picture via HDMI from camera bound St so I can glance at shot as needed while piloting. I rarely look at St while flying as I learned how to shoot and frame without monitors for years already so this is an ideal approach. I just want sticks in my hand as pilot and not the wizard.
Here is a test. Connect your st16 power up everthing then connect your phone via cgo app. Then fly around and see it there is lag. I did this when i first got my H and it lagged. I only tested the 2 st16s in my living room and it lagged. But need to fly it around to see.

I've done that and not seen a huge problem other than that a tablet or phone wifi range is lousy. That's why I'm curious if a booster in field helps range more than lag. Meanwhile I'm scrambling to find the cash for tomorrow as I don't want to miss out. I think this guy cleared out my local shop that closed as he had boxes of stuff and was trying to start an FPV school. He's got a Q500 and a bunch of QX2 and 3 plus a bunch of Inductrix. Crazy.

Is it really bad? I've got a shot at second H for good deal to get the St to do team mode with two controllers. I'm hoping it's not crazy latent.
Ok i tested it with both st16s. I connected my new one for full control and used the old one just to view the video feed...worked like a charm. Not very much lag at all. Im very pleased. Also you can double tap the viewing st16 and go to full screen....hide telemetry and camera info.....but still see everthing on the controller you are using.

Ok i tested it with both st16s. I connected my new one for full control and used the old one just to view the video feed...worked like a charm. Not very much lag at all. Im very pleased. Also you can double tap the viewing st16 and go to full screen....hide telemetry and camera info.....but still see everthing on the controller you are using.

Great new! So I assume that the pilot has no video controls for gimbals tilt and pan plus camera settings. Does the camera controlling ST automatically go to right stick for gimbal control? Is that possible? Sorry for all the questions but when I got to justify spending this money, I need to have it straight. Your help is super appreciated.

Great new! So I assume that the pilot has no video controls for gimbals tilt and pan plus camera settings. Does the camera controlling ST automatically go to right stick for gimbal control? Is that possible? Sorry for all the questions but when I got to justify spending this money, I need to have it straight. Your help is super appreciated.
If you are NOT in team mode the main controller controls everything. The second or slave st16 is just to view the video feed.
If you ARE in team mode then yes...one controlls the H...the other controls the gimbal movements. Just remember to put the pan and tilt switch in global mode on the st16 you are using for gimbal control.

If you are NOT in team mode the main controller controls everything. The second or slave st16 is just to view the video feed.
If you ARE in team mode then yes...one controlls the H...the other controls the gimbal movements. Just remember to put the pan and tilt switch in global mode on the st16 you are using for gimbal control.

Awesome. Hope to pull the trigger today.

So happy to report how awesome having second TH is. The peace of mind with back up drone is great enough but add the team mode with two ST 16s and you've got a pretty great film package. Took a bit to get it the way I wanted as my original ST needs to be pilot control. I solved it by binding to new ST first and making original the "slave" which actually makes it the control. After reading how the wizard takes over it makes sense. I did notice my gimbal tweaks are lost in team mode but who cares when you can run everything with a joystick. Can't wait to get my crew and try some shots. I now have two safe hours available in batteries as well and that's more than enough for any field work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33