Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The lens in my CGO3+ is misaligned (pics)

Just spoke to support on the phone, they are shipping me out a new camera tomorrow. When asked, they said they're aware that this is a problem that others have seen as well and are addressing it. :) I'll post again once I have the new camera. Hopefully everyone else will see movement on this issue soon as well.

Once again, very professional and nice people on the phone. Assuming that the new camera is good to go, I must say that my experience with their tech support has been quite good. Its so rare these days...

Just spoke to support on the phone, they are shipping me out a new camera tomorrow. When asked, they said they're aware that this is a problem that others have seen as well and are addressing it. :) I'll post again once I have the new camera. Hopefully everyone else will see movement on this issue soon as well.

Once again, very professional and nice people on the phone. Assuming that the new camera is good to go, I must say that my experience with their tech support has been quite good. Its so rare these days...

So do I have to make a phone call? Or can I expect the same? I've had zero communication since the day I got the RMA. (6th) If they are sending out new units, why has it taken 2-3 weeks?

So do I have to make a phone call? Or can I expect the same? I've had zero communication since the day I got the RMA. (6th) If they are sending out new units, why has it taken 2-3 weeks?

Not sure, I would call to see where things are with your unit. Its important to emphasize that I'm just passing on what I learned today, its not an official announcement from Yuneec per se. My guess is they're moving as fast as they can. And I enjoyed the benefit of being only 1 state away, so it got into the queue faster. Also, remember that they probably need to inspect each unit before authorizing a replacement.

Not sure, I would call to see where things are with your unit. Its important to emphasize that I'm just passing on what I learned today, its not an official announcement from Yuneec per se. My guess is they're moving as fast as they can. And I enjoyed the benefit of being only 1 state away, so it got into the queue faster. Also, remember that they probably need to inspect each unit before authorizing a replacement.

Indeed, mine didn't arrive until the 14th. I will call at the end of the week to inquire as to what's going on. Thanks for your update.

Well, you can add me to the list of people with a blurry lens camera. Mine is slightly blurry on the left side and has distortion on the outer edges.

My problem is that my camera was part of a replacement H. I received a 27 point inspection sheet stating the camera had been checked. I think they check it to see if it works but they don't check it to see if objects are in focus within the entire picture.

My problem is that my camera was part of a replacement H. I received a 27 point inspection sheet stating the camera had been checked. I think they check it to see if it works but they don't check it to see if objects are in focus within the entire picture.
Maybe now that there is some recognition that there is a problem, you can re-address the issue with them?

Hi, New to the forum, I also fear that my Typhoon H camera is out of focus, i have a phantom 3 and i feel the image clarity is better than the typhoon which i am not happy about at all. Could any one shed some light on this, i have read through the whole thread and i see people have had replacements etc, has this fixed the issue? if so i will be getting in touch with Yuneec pretty quickly.

Is there a test I can do with my camera to see how good the focus is on it? Looking at some landscape pictures I've taken, overall they look decent, but when zooming in, maybe some parts are blurry (due to wind in the trees, etc) and some parts look blocky or pixelated. Looking at BoostedPerspective's original post and comparing the HEX1 and HEX3 pictures...the first picture looks similar to the quality I'm getting and I'm assuming picture 3 is zoomed in (and not a subset of picture 1) and thats were I see the blockiness of my images as well. I've been attributing that pixelation due to the limit of how far in you can zoom an image, not a defect in my camera and thats why I'm asking if there is a way to test the focus on the camera to see if its worth asking Yuneec for an RMA.

Hi, New to the forum, I also fear that my Typhoon H camera is out of focus, i have a phantom 3 and i feel the image clarity is better than the typhoon which i am not happy about at all. Could any one shed some light on this, i have read through the whole thread and i see people have had replacements etc, has this fixed the issue? if so i will be getting in touch with Yuneec pretty quickly.
Most of us are still waiting on repairs to ship back so cant tell yet. I expect to have mine in the next few days, will post then

Most of us are still waiting on repairs to ship back so cant tell yet. I expect to have mine in the next few days, will post then
Thanks Chris, any information on this would be great, other than the blurriness of the image i am very happy with the typhoon for the price.

YUN00004 (0;00;03;07).jpg
Is there a test I can do with my camera to see how good the focus is on it?
no test that I know of. The best you can do is look at this shot from my camera at fullscreen on a big monitor (make sure to "click to see full sized version"). If your videos look this bad, you should contact Yuneec

Mine look very similar to that quality, looks like a phone call will be made shortly, i may still wait to see if the RMA makes any difference.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Could someone please take a look the these pics (JPEG) and tell me if they look sharp to you. I just sent these off to Yuneec for review.

Could someone please take a look the these pics (JPEG) and tell me if they look sharp to you. I just sent these off to Yuneec for review.
MUCH less pronounced than my camera IMO, but still exhibiting the same issues. Is this an unacceptable amount of lens distortion? To be honest, I'm not sure, you'll have to make your own final decision. I see the same exact distortions (almost like 2 images offset and then superimposed). But is it unacceptable? I'll leave that to you. Here's what I noticed looking at your shot. The areas I highlighted are clearly not just out of focus, but "offset" meaning (IMO) the lens and the imager are not in sync properly. Again, is this enough of a deviation to make it unworkable? Ask yourself this: If it was a GoPro Black running 4K 30p would you expect to see the same weird "softness"? Probably not. .:

sample.jpg

View attachment 1342[/QUOTE]
Thanks for taking a look. IMO they are unacceptable and not what I have seen in others. I spoke with Yuneec and ask how they wanted the pic to be taken, so I'll see what the say. I've tried cleaning them up but they look nothing like my GoPro.

Last edited:
Check out this video by Bo Lorentzen where he and a camera enthusiast hack a TH CGO3.

They make the point that even at the best focus the CGO3 lens is plastic and not very sharp. They swap it out for a glass Sony lens I believe. See how the factory lens is glued to a manually focused position.

Of course this voids your warranty on the camera.

Check out this video by Bo Lorentzen where he and a camera enthusiast hack a TH CGO3.

They make the point that even at the best focus the CGO3 lens is plastic and not very sharp. They swap it out for a glass Sony lens I believe. See how the factory lens is glued to a manually focused position.

Of course this voids your warranty on the camera.
WOW. OK, so this is a much bigger problem than I thought. I guess my question is what did they do different from the CGO3 to the CGO3+? BoostedPerpective posted crystal clear shots on the Typhoon H using his CGO3 camera.

Sure hope I haven't waited almost 3 weeks just to get another blurry camera back from Yuneec.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my