Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The reasons the Typhoon H is delayed

Disclaimer: I do not work for Yuncee, nor do I have confirmed sources within Yuncee.

So, the Typhoon H was announced some time ago and a few working production models were made. Most of the technology within the Typhoon H is just an enhanced/upgraded carry over from previous models, except for the Intel realsense. We saw it fly, we saw it avoid objects, etc.

So with all of the above said, it should have not been an issue to go from pre-production to mass production. But... not only did this not happen, but we also did not immediately receive prices/info on batteries, backpack, IPS module, Intel realsense module, software, manual.

What we did hear in late March was that DJI took exception to one Chinese company copying another Chinese company... which apparently happens often but DJI had enough (I'm sure DJI is just as guilty of copying technology as well).

Yunceec would have been appraised of the DJI patents long before the lawsuit was put into action. They knew long before the world knew.

Here is why I believe Yuneec keeps changing the shipping date of the Typhoon H:

- Firmware #1. They had to rewrite some code that applied to the camera attachment (how removing/installing camera is handled). Reason: To avoid potential and future lawsuit implications.

- Firmware #2. The Intel realsense is now a modular attachment. In the past this was not the case.... if you purchased an H it came with realsense for approx $1899. With the new $1299 price they went modular. If you look at early posts from Yuncee you'll see that there was a period where it was being stated by Yuncee reps that in order to add the realsense mod you would need to send the H back to Yuncee. Later Yuncee said it would only require a firmware upgrade. My guess is that this is another reason they recently rewrote the firmware to allow for the Intel realsense to be added or removed.

- Intel Realsense. Yuncee/Intel do not have a finished product with regards to price. My guess is that they have a price point to sell this item at and are trying to find a way to manufacture it for that price. If components are expensive then you cut costs by the way you manufacturer it. The opposite is also true. I'm also guessing that the Realsense also contains Firmware which is still being tweaked.

- Batteries - Again Yuneec had a price point to keep costs low. In order to mass produce a battery that would not increase the cost of the H, they had to go with a slow charging battery (less expensive smart chips inside)... which is now the result. The production batteries were only recently manufactured which again required a firmware rewrite.

- Backpack - This took awhile because Yuneec still had not confirmed the exact contents of the $1299 & $1899 box. Landing gear changes also required modifications to the backpack slots.

- Manual - With all features/functions not 100% completed, the manual was on hold.

So in summary, the two issues that have held up shipment of the production Typhoon H are necessary changes to avoid a lawsuit and price/production issues around the Intel realsense and other components.

Once again, the above is based on everything that has occurred since January and my knowledge of trying to create a product to match a price point.

Legs have be modified and a bit beefer, also and boosted the speed slighty. Thinks it's more to do with final tweaks and minor issues they discovered.

Speaking of batteries, here's the Turnigy Graphene 6600 4S 15c battery compared to the Yuneec. It will definitely fit inside, but will take creative design to stuff it inside the cavity hanging out the back. I won't know until after receiving the H. I don't think there is anything very "smart" about the H battery, just a special connector. The bigger question in my mind is if the firmware limits reading the capacity to 5400 thereby not allowing one to install a larger capacity battery.
E1PZ8Li.png

BTW, I tested the battery in one of my quads today; very good battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop