Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The Tyhoon H Pro, a very expensive quriky flying computer with a mind of it's own.

Reaction score
I'm so pissed right now with my 2nd H I can't see straight. I've posted several threads about what I've experienced with two of these units and this is the last straw! I just flew a a successful flight and went to land in perfect conditions. I put it down and It then went into a crazy dance and flipped on ti's top and destroyed all six props.

I want to love this this thing but it's as crazy and unpredictable as my menopausal wife.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester
I am still new to this forum but what was your distance to the aircraft is one question and the next question is what mode were you using? I am here to learn

I'm so pissed right now with my 2nd H I can't see straight. I've posted several threads about what I've experienced with two of these units and this is the last straw! I just flew a a successful flight and went to land in perfect conditions. I put it down and It then went into a crazy dance and flipped on ti's top and destroyed all six props.

I want to love this this thing but it's as crazy and unpredictable as my menopausal wife.
Wow, you've certainly had more than your share of issues. PMS doesn't help either.
Think it's time to start from scratch. First, there was a new update for the Autopilot posted on Friday Downloads - Yuneec
The firmware for the ST16 is unchanged. I believe I recall you have updated firmware on both units. Just to confirm, did you do all the steps listed on the video including deleting the flight data?

BeeRad56,

Curious, did you land purposefully, meaning you had your H come straight down, or did you slowly bring her down?

Reason I ask is because of my personal ongoing saga with my own recent landing issues. I did not bring her straight down but instead hovered for a bit. It then started circling without stick input, similar to what some call the "toilet bowl" effect. Once I got it down, it tried to flip. I was successful shutting off the motors in time the first time; not so lucky the second. If I did not hover, my H did not have time to start circling. I think that is why subsequent tests did not have any motor/flip issues. Time will tell.

Feel free to read my reply post to another chap who is experiencing similar behavior. Maybe you can gain some insight as well as follow along with us as to our findings and hopefully a solid resolution. We welcome your feedback as well.

I have an open support case with Yuneec regarding my experience and will be updating as applicable. Much more information in the thread I am referring to.

Jeff

If I did not hover, my H did not have time to start circling. I think that is why subsequent tests did not have any motor/flip issues. Time will tell.

I understand exactly why you are saying this. However, it should not matter how you bring the TH down to land. Hover, circle, rabbit or turtle, touch and go. Although going more toward turtle mode when close to the ground is a good practice:D.

Hope you and Yuneec get it worked out.:)

I understand exactly why you are saying this. However, it should not matter how you bring the TH down to land. Hover, circle, rabbit or turtle, touch and go. Although going more toward turtle mode when close to the ground is a good practice:D.

Hope you and Yuneec get it worked out.:)

Exactly, Rayray!

40+ flights did not matter as to how landings were executed. Now it does, or at least for a few flights.

Reasons will be discovered, solutions will be developed. I am confident in both!

Jeff

https://www.facebook.com/yuneectyphoonh.eu/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
From facebook, a valuable European source.

Yuneec Typhoon H EU

1 uur ·
GPS FAILURE & FIRMWARE UPDATES:

Thanks to Sami Rautaneva, a customer and supporter from Finland I now have the necessary data to understand and correctly explain what I already knew...

There are those who've never had an issue with their H until a Firmware update...

For no apparent reason the H either drifts in flight or behaves irraticaly at low altitude or on landing?

Well here's why...

There were apparently 3 hardware revisions of the GPS units by the manufacturer and Yuneec keep fitting the latest revision to their newer aircraft.

It is quite an advanced unit but there is no update port included by Yuneec once they've integrated it into their Compass and Barometric Pressure Sensor Units as a GPS Combination Module.

Only Yuneec can factory flash firmware to the GPS unit and once done is not upgradable because there is no update port on the Yuneec GPS/Compass & Barometric Pressure Sensor Combination Module.

The latest Firmware Variants for the H are not compatible with the preflashed firmware on the older revision GPS units included on the oder GPS/C & BPS Modules; specifically with regard to the GPS unit.

So swapping out the GPS Combination Module is pointless unless you're replacing the old unit with a newer or Current Reversion.

Yuneec aren't telling anyone this because they probably don't know themselves?

Those lucky enough get a new aircraft or a possibly a GPS Combination Module Upgrade; the others suffer in silence.

Also the GPS unit requires somewhere around 15s of satelite-lock-on-time to correctly orient itself.

So it's always advisable to wait around 15s after GPS Lock before takeoff.

Additionally satelites continuously update their own data and correction algorithms; as a result a significant geographic move or period of non-use requires a download of "corrected/updated" satellite Information.

This can take anywhere from 5-20min so again if you haven't used your aircraft for a significant time or you've moved a substantial distance geographically; you need to leave the aircraft alone for around 15min with full GPS Lock before takeoff.

This allows the GPS unit to efficiently update itself before takeoff rather than in-flight; which is not ideal.

Couurtesey Esteves Carvalho
please visit his facebook and feel free to help his initiative to pursuade Yuneec doing nice things

I'm trying to reconcile what you're saying re the 'old' gps unit I'm using on my Typhoon and incompatibility with new firmware. I have one of the first Typhoons from May 2016 and apart from one firmware update, it is and has been supremely stable. So, what you're saying can't be the whole story?

I'm afraid the Typhoon EU guy is not giving very accurate information. I've got a Typhoon with the original GPS board and it flies very well, no drift. There is no need to 'flash the GPS unit'.

He's making a lot of noise at the moment, but I'm not sure if he's helping build good relations with Yuneec. The company is very well aware of the issues and features he brings up, but he can't expect them to magically change their product line up to suit his demands.

Thanks to all for the responses to my OP.

I'm not sure what happen last Sat. evening when I landed in calm conditions like I have successfully numerous times with never a problem. I touched down and put the left stick all the way down to idle but the H wouldn't idle and acted like it wanted to fly. I went for the kill switch but not in time before it flipped on it's top. I always fly in angle mode and I was about 10 ft. away from the H at the time of the landing mishap. I also make it a habit to put my proportional control to "turtle" as I'm bringing her down for landing.

I supposed that I could have inadvertently bumped the flight mode switch into Smart mode at the last minute and that caused it to not want to shut down (with throttle at zero) start bouncing, then tip on to it's starboard side hooking a prop and then flipping on it's top as it was trying to get away from me. I'm anxious to learn how to get into the flight logs and see if I can better understand what happened. My take off and landing pad is a 15' x 15' level concrete pad which works great albeit not very forgiving given the event just described.

From what I can tell the only damage was to the six props and scuffs to the push buttons on top of the motors . I also found that the two un-retained rubber shock absorbers on the gimbal mount popped lose. I've since gotten the rubber shock absorbers back in place, installed new props and flown twice with no problems what so ever.

Thanks again to all and I will certainly follow up with more info from the flights logs if I find anything of value about this incident.

The easiest way to access the telemetry is to connect the ST16 to your computer with the USB charging cable. I don't have a current pic of the file structure but it should be similar to the ST10 which I have posted here. They will be in a Flight Log directory. If you can't find them let me know.
When you open the telemetry file look for this information in the f_mode column.

f_mode = 16 = initializing
f_mode = 12 = crash the motor(s) and stop the copter -> emergency shutdown
f_mode = 13 = coming home
f_mode = 3 = angle mode
f_mode = 21 = smart mode

Attachments

• ST10 Files.jpg
    ST10 Files.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 17
The easiest way to access the telemetry is to connect the ST16 to your computer with the USB charging cable. I don't have a current pic of the file structure but it should be similar to the ST10 which I have posted here. They will be in a Flight Log directory. If you can't find them let me know.
When you open the telemetry file look for this information in the f_mode column.

f_mode = 3 = angle mode
f_mode = 21 = smart mode

Thank you very much Steve. I will dig into this soon and report back.

Thanks to all for the responses to my OP.

I'm not sure what happen last Sat. evening when I landed in calm conditions like I have successfully numerous times with never a problem. I touched down and put the left stick all the way down to idle but the H wouldn't idle and acted like it wanted to fly. I went for the kill switch but not in time before it flipped on it's top. I always fly in angle mode and I was about 10 ft. away from the H at the time of the landing mishap. I also make it a habit to put my proportional control to "turtle" as I'm bringing her down for landing.

I supposed that I could have inadvertently bumped the flight mode switch into Smart mode at the last minute and that caused it to not want to shut down (with throttle at zero) start bouncing, then tip on to it's starboard side hooking a prop and then flipping on it's top as it was trying to get away from me. I'm anxious to learn how to get into the flight logs and see if I can better understand what happened. My take off and landing pad is a 15' x 15' level concrete pad which works great albeit not very forgiving given the event just described.

From what I can tell the only damage was to the six props and scuffs to the push buttons on top of the motors . I also found that the two un-retained rubber shock absorbers on the gimbal mount popped lose. I've since gotten the rubber shock absorbers back in place, installed new props and flown twice with no problems what so ever.

Thanks again to all and I will certainly follow up with more info from the flights logs if I find anything of value about this incident.
It sounds like you accidentally knocked the toggle into Smart mode and while landing you were probably approaching the craft when all of a sudden it lurched away from you trying to keep it's distance. The same thing happened to me. More than once I noticed the H not performing as it should, in each case, I had tripped the toggle to smart mode.

Reactions: Rayray

f_mode = 3 = angle mode
f_mode = 21 = smart mode

I was able to get into the telemetry files. I have a total of 54 files and used the date and time stamp to try pin point the file when "the incident" occurred. So far no luck finding 21 followed by 12. I'll study the files more tomorrow. Do you know where I can find a list of all the codes?

Thanks!

I was able to get into the telemetry files. I have a total of 54 files and used the date and time stamp to try pin point the file when "the incident" occurred. So far no luck finding 21 followed by 12. I'll study the files more tomorrow. Do you know where I can find a list of all the codes?

Thanks!
Those are the only codes I am aware of. If you sort the telemetry files by date it should be the last or the first file on the list. The 21 may note show up since you were pressing the stop button at the time. If you need help reading the file you can upload it here but you need to change the file extension form .csv to .txt in order to get it to upload. There are a few people here who seem to be pretty good at finding problems in the telemetry.

Reactions: BeeRAD56

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my