Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Trying to decide between used 500+ or 500 4K

Reaction score
new to drones And this forum. In the past had my heart set on a dji but kept reading about the service issues . Kinda honed in on the Yuneec. Since I'm new I was thinking about buying a used 500+ for $350 ish. The kit with the two batteries and the case. Would love to hear any thoughts. But assuming the drone is solid, im worried about the lipo batteries. I've heard they don't have a good life especially if not used much. Any input? I have to assume I'd have to replace them on a drone 2 years old. I saw the thread on non oem batteries that work good.

I'm not too worried about the camera differences. As the first drone I dont want to invest too much.

Again any input would be appreciated.

How many hours on that used drone ?
Any crashes or rebuilds ?
When was the last time it flew ?
Q500's are on there way out and the 500+ is getting harder to find.
Still a good drone to have....
Yes, you'll most likely need to change out the batteries and you might as well go for a 7500mah if your going to do it.
$350.00 is not bad and about the average price for a used Q.
Some like the cgo2 over the cgo3 as it's said to take a cleaner still shot.
It's a judgment call on your part as to purchase or not.
As with all purchases.... "buyer beware".
Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide.
Jafo

Jafo, many tks for the input. He stated not many and no crashes on the one I'm looking at that's local. Is there a way on the controller to determine how many hours of flight time?
I need to check it out and ask for a demo and to to see what life the batteries have.
Also if you could give me the name or place to buy those larger capacity batteries , that would be great.
In the meantime I have to call yuneec to see if the 500+ also has the 8000 foot take off limit. I know the 4K model does but they told me they can provide me with the revised software , after I sign a waiver, to allow take off above 8000 foot. I want to take mine to Colorado where the family has some land at 8600 ft. That sounds the primary reason for the drone, to get a view of that area.

Most are having good success with "Gifi" brand batteries. My first stop is that famous auction site.
Yes... all the Q's have the 8k limit. I'm not sure you need a waiver or anything special for that update as I found it on one of the sites.Might have even been this one.I think the issue is more of a lift problem than anything.Drones don't like to fly that high due to the lack of air. I often fly on a mountain just under 10k and have little but some issues. Snap yaw from the slightest wind can at times be an issue.If you can't find the file... PM me.
You would certainly need the waiver for the update that lets you fly within the range of an airport.
My mom lives near Grand Junction and there is certainly beautiful things to film there.
You'll love it.
:)
Added: If the box has an SD card under the battery, it will hold telemetry data for the Q.If they have not been cleaned out lately, you may be able to tell a few things about it's last flights. You'll need a computer to see the files.

Reactions: Chitown harry
Most are having good success with "Gifi" brand batteries. My first stop is that famous auction site.
Yes... all the Q's have the 8k limit. I'm not sure you need a waiver or anything special for that update as I found it on one of the sites.Might have even been this one.I think the issue is more of a lift problem than anything.Drones don't like to fly that high due to the lack of air. I often fly on a mountain just under 10k and have little but some issues. Snap yaw from the slightest wind can at times be an issue.If you can't find the file... PM me.
You would certainly need the waiver for the update that lets you fly within the range of an airport.
My mom lives near Grand Junction and there is certainly beautiful things to film there.
You'll love it.
:)
Added: If the box has an SD card under the battery, it will hold telemetry data for the Q.If they have not been cleaned out lately, you may be able to tell a few things about it's last flights. You'll need a computer to see the files.

Many tks on the added information. Yea per Yuneec, just need to sign and return waiver then they would send me the revised code. I bet the altitude will kill my flight time. And tks for the yaw warning..

Tough decision. Used clean 500+ for $350 with two older batteries and a case or refurbished by yuneec 4K model with full warranty, one new battery for $600 but no case. I'm leaning towards the 4K as I type this. Again tks for the valuable input. I'll let ya know which way I go and if I can pull it off before we head out there in June.

Tks for the links, but I'm hesitant from ordering a drone with someone with some bad reviews. But having said that , I did fire off some questions to them about who did the refurb. Also I found that on the Yuneec website, they have them for $600 with full warranty. So with your help I'm thinking the 4K is the way to go for a couple hundred more.

I wouldn't be to concerned with the negative FB. When you have that many sales there is bound to be a few that will have something to complain about.
But it's always best to shop around and find the package that makes you comfortable for sure. :)

Cool and tks. Yea that famous auction site that has them for $499. I recieved a response back from them saying they get them from Yuneec sealed and the warranty is thru Yuneec.

Guess you helped me make my decision easy. Gonna do it today and then order one of those fancy schmancy batteries.

Tks again.

It's (4K) on its way and an extra battery too. Just wondering if I should buy the flight simulator also and use the time first. I seen comments on how hard it is to load and get working. Saw some who said it wasn't worth it.
I have some small experience with mini drones and a helicopter too.

Might take a chance and just go slow.

Can't wait for the beast to show up. Then I gotta figure out if it will even take off where I live. An app shows I'm in a flight area (hospital 3 miles away).

You'll be fine without it.
These things can pretty much fly themselves these days.
Take off in Angle mode and switch to Smart mode once your in the air if that's the mode you want to fly in.
Learn to fly in Angle mode ASAP.
Have a though out flight plan and stick to it.

It's (4K) on its way and an extra battery too. Just wondering if I should buy the flight simulator also and use the time first. I seen comments on how hard it is to load and get working. Saw some who said it wasn't worth it.
I have some small experience with mini drones and a helicopter too.

Might take a chance and just go slow.

Can't wait for the beast to show up. Then I gotta figure out if it will even take off where I live. An app shows I'm in a flight area (hospital 3 miles away).
How did your package? How was the unit?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430