Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tyhoon h antenna

Reaction score
I am looking for a good long range antenna for the typhoon h transmitter does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance

I've been using the Itelite DBS now for a few months and the difference from the stock antenna system is well worth the effort. I had been using the FPVLR antenna's previously, but found them to 'lag' every so often - not the case with the new system.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Reactions: Nuance
Does anyone know if the after market H antennas kit available is better than the improved antennas you see now on the H in the area where you would place the After Market Antenna Upgrade?

Yes, the aftermarket antenna is better.
Steve, do you by any chance have any statistics showing why the upgrade to the H is better than the upgrade made by yuneec? The reason why I ask is, i have had the stock 2 antenna St16, then modded it to the 3 antenna with the immersion patch and now I have changed out my immersion with the yuneec stock oem newer patch antenna and just added the reciever with longer antennas with the antenna tubes on the H and each time i have gotten better results. Wasnt the reason why the exterior antenna kit was done so you could bring the older H up to what yuneec was doing for improvements? Now the DBS is in a whole other catagory of improvement in regards to the ST16, but we are talking the longer H antenna/receiver vs. the antenna kit.

OK, for starters I was beginning with the ST16+ which has 3 antenna - I would notice that with this setup I could only get so far before the video started blanking out in which case I would call it home. Then I added the DBS Extender and did not see video dropping out for substantially farther distances. SO it was a largely unscientific finding. Not really noting via telemetry at which points the drop outs would begin occurring. The antenna tubes on the H are for improving distance receiving for sure. Instead of the wires flapping in the wind, they were extended and protected to improve long distance connectivity for sure..

Hope that helps..

I'm no expert but here's my opinion.
Yuneec has improved the signal reliability considerably from the first antenna setup. The early versions which I have are omnidirectional so you don't have to point the antennas at the H. It looks like they made a big improvement in the video with their latest 5.8MHz antenna which is directional. They also improved the 2.4MHz with larger antennas and signal sharing.
The Itelite DBS antenna array is directional and appears to have a larger collection area which should improve signal integrity. The disadvantage is the ST16 won't fit in the case. I'm in the process of installing one this very minute and I have a carry bag to hold the controller and batteries.

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
I'm no expert but here's my opinion.
Yuneec has improved the signal reliability considerably from the first antenna setup. The early versions which I have are omnidirectional so you don't have to point the antennas at the H. It looks like they made a big improvement in the video with their latest 5.8MHz antenna which is directional. They also improved the 2.4MHz with larger antennas and signal sharing.
The Itelite DBS antenna array is directional and appears to have a larger collection area which should improve signal integrity. The disadvantage is the ST16 won't fit in the case. I'm in the process of installing one this very minute and I have a carry bag to hold the controller and batteries.
Thanks! I agree. Ive had my H since May 2016 as well and have been trying to improve my H to keep it current. I can only speak from my experiences and found that the 3rd antenna mod was an improvement along with the swap to the immersion patch antenna. However just last week I purchased the oem newer patch antenna made by yuneec because it was cheap at $7 and in my opinion is better than the immersion. Then I decided to replace the H's receiver inside with the updated one with the longer antennas and add the tubes to get the antennas out farther and again noticed it getting better. I was trying to determine if either mod was better than the other and appreciate the feedback.

Thanks! I agree. Ive had my H since May 2016 as well and have been trying to improve my H to keep it current. I can only speak from my experiences and found that the 3rd antenna mod was an improvement along with the swap to the immersion patch antenna. However just last week I purchased the oem newer patch antenna made by yuneec because it was cheap at $7 and in my opinion is better than the immersion. Then I decided to replace the H's receiver inside with the updated one with the longer antennas and add the tubes to get the antennas out farther and again noticed it getting better. I was trying to determine if either mod was better than the other and appreciate the feedback.
Where did you purchase your Yuneec 5.8 GHz patch antenna?
Thanks.

Yes, the aftermarket antenna is better.
What I meant was is the antenna mod on the updated H which now has two downward facing antennas at 45 degrees, better?

Some folks have the older model with the antenna wires up near or inside the body. The Newer Models have the so called improved antenna, and I wanted to know if some of the videos I have seen installing rubber duck antennas are actually better than the current antenna config below.

This is how the newer Typhoons are now with the two downward facing antenna.

I might also add, that the new Hs also come with the Patch Antenna mentioned in this thread included in addition to the mushroom antenna.

EDIT:

I wanted to clear something up.....This is my model with the new Antenna Tubes and longer wires, so what I was asking was is the mod I saw here doing essentially the same thing any better?

Is the antenna set up even better than the new updated Yuneec Factory setup or the same?

I think it's the same unless the antenna wires are longer than factory upgrade on my unit that came with the new antenna setup already installed.

520533-yuneec-typhoon-h.jpg

Last edited:
What I meant was is the antenna mod on the updated H which now has two downward facing antennas at 45 degrees, better?

Some folks have the older model with the antenna wires up near or inside the body. The Newer Models have the so called improved antenna, and I wanted to know if some of the videos I have seen installing rubber duck antennas are actually better than the current antenna config below.

This is how the newer Typhoons are now with the two downward facing antenna.

I might also add, that the new Hs also come with the Patch Antenna mentioned in this thread included in addition to the mushroom antenna.

520533-yuneec-typhoon-h.jpg
Tree, those are just tubes with longer antenna leads running thru them on the new H. I changed my old like u are asking to exactly the same stuff thats on the new one. You can buy the parts from Yuneec to do it. It will be better than what you have as it brings the antenna leads down farther for better reception and is the reason why Yuneec made this change from ours. Watch this video I made and it might explain it better.

Reactions: THoff
I am thinking your upgrade does not apply to me, because my H already came like this. But maybe I don't understand something.

But I have those tubes installed from the factory day one, and the antenna wire running down inside there. I was very pleased that Yunnec did that when I opened the box and noticed the update.

And I appreciate your reply, it was a generous thing to do, and perhaps this is a bit frustrating for you, but what I am trying to find out is what is the difference? Are your antenna wires running through the tubes longer? Are the wires a higher quality than the improved factory upgrade?

What else is different?

Also I saw a different mod video where they added rubber ducky antennas. Here it is here.

So what I wanted to know, is I obviously am going to do some modding at some point, but I like to understand all my options.

How is your mod different from the factory improved antenna (tubes) set up?
And is this other mod above better than either your mod or the factory set up?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is the difference between my current model which Yuneec already installed the tubes, and longer antenna wires, and your mod. Is your mod the same and an upgrade to earlier models without the tubes? It seems like that is what you are trying to help people to do. So I wanted to make sure your mod does not apply to me.

And this mod above I posted here.... does anyone have an opinion on how much better this is over the new Yuneec H antenna config & your mod?

I am not trying to insult your work. I think you do excellent work, and you are gracious for replying to me. What I love about Yuneec H is it's modular and upgradeable nature, and how the community is very open and enthusiastic and knowledgeable. A Yuneec imo is like an Android phone vs. an Iphone. I work in IT, and I like to customize things. SO I Hate Iphones.

I digress, at some point I am going to start flying this further and further as I get comfortable with it. I don't want to test range really, but I'd like consistent and strong signal as I go out further. I want to mod my rig, but am gathering info, and will do the mods when the warranty runs out.

Just like I did my PC. Yes you can overclock a DELL LOL.

Last edited:
The video you show with Bo doing that antenna mod is in my opinion no better than what you have now. This was done prior to yuneec making the H antenna change you currently have. The DBS for your ST16 is what you are looking for to improve what you have.

The video you show with Bo doing that antenna mod is in my opinion no better than what you have now. This was done prior to yuneec making the H antenna change you currently have. The DBS for your ST16 is what you are looking for to improve what you have.

That's what I thought. I was looking at this and thinking this is just a factory upgrade to what I have now. Thank you for your answer. And yes I will be upgrading my ST 16 to a PLUS. I already added the Real Sense. My Typhoon flies pretty well. So I'll be expanding my horizons with it in the future, and will be focusing on the antenna of the H. I have been looking at a lot of different antenna setups, and I think the first thing I will do is just add the third antenna.

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
The 3rd antenna upgrade is definatley worth the upgrade. I was going to get the realsense but missed out on the $299 special they were having. Cant justify the $599 price now, however if it goes down again to that price, ill get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval