Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Camera not focusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem isn't focus it's lack of resolution and distortion. On the stock 3.6mm lens the Depth of Field is 4" to infinity.

The problem with my camera is focus, the left side of the picture is out of focus. Is it a lens alignment problem, a defect in the lens or something else? I have the same problem on the original as well as the replacement. It is producing unacceptable pictures. the camera on the Q is, according to Yuneec, the same camera with a 360 degree gimbal. And yes there are resolution and distortion problems with this camera, but all things considered ( if everything else was as it should be) it is capable of producing acceptable pictures.

but judge for yourself......This was shot on the ground, motors off, zero wind. Even parts of the right side of the picture are out of focus, follow the white rail and you'll see what I mean. And of course this problem is evident in all pictures and videos. I can live with the inherent issues that an inexpensive camera like this will have. but this is just a defective camera. Yuneec is working on it as we speak.YUN00021.jpg

FYI - if you see a problem, PLEASE use the report button. Do not reply with a retaliation post.

So lets keep on topic and keep it friendly.
Have done both, and took the proactive approach. Its by far, not a retaliation post. Its clearly an information post relaying information to the general public about which company you will NEVER know that it's a "crippled" aircraft until its in the air. Visual inspections and ground testing were done. The support from a different company was NOT there, just in email format. Also,was conveying a very specific point about the lens, laws, and relative information needed for the industry itself. The information I provided IS straight from the FAA. Besides which was remaining on topic to show that more support exists HERE, than in 3DR.

Any experience pilot would have undergone the same issues. On the aircraft I speak of there is no collision avoidance and has nothing to do with the issue that were referred to. I was purely conveying previous issues from a technical standpoint. (engineer mindset) Again, this is why I mentioned, "Nevertheless, forgive the long winded explanation, yet just have a little faith and use your resources that you have". Means boosting the morale to keep going. So not sure, as to where the discovery of retaliation came from. Just a means of providing and conveying information out there, to make sure people are on the same page. Hence, similar issues could be resolved by utilizing the information provided with or to, for that matter.

As far as anyone owning a craft and gone through the experiences that I have. I sure hope they do not. I was an unwilling "beta tester" for the other company and glad I made the switch Yuneec. And believe me, I have spent more than six months undergoing nothing but issues, so if you are
"salt" , it has no bearing on where you are or are not. If you don't put the "bird" in the sky after a preflight, then I am not sure as to what your "salt" comment refers to. Have flown for years and on set on many occasions.

So, in a sense, please let me know if this cleared up any confusion you may have.

John....what do you mean by Yuneec is working on it as we speak.....do they officially recognize that there is an issue with the camera and will provide a resolution?

Not sure if they "officially recognize" the issue. They asked that I send the unit back( the replacement of the original), I pointed out that according to this forum, I am not the only one who is having this problem, I believe it is a defect somewhere in the manufacturing process. I told them that I am not interested in another defective replacement. I requested they check out a replacement before they ship it, or find the error and let me know when they have a fix, at least this way I can still use/practice with the H's advanced functions (most wont work without the camera attached). Sending me yet another defective camera would only be wasting everyone's time and would seriously tax my good nature.

So I sent them about a dozen pics to analyze and they said they would get back to me. I'll give them a few more days before I call them again, but it is an ongoing issue and i will keep everyone posted as I get more info. meanwhile, check your pics carefully, I am on my second camera with the same issue, coincidence?, I think not. The camera on my Q took a hard crash and still puts out decent pics, I expected nothing less from the H as the only difference in the camera is the gimbal, the camera itself is said to be identical to the Q.

Needless to say I am frustrated and disappointed, but Yuneec seems to be genuinely concerned and I believe they want to get this taken care of.

Hey John, I just got my new Typhoon H yesterday and it looks like I have the same issue...the videos and pictures look out of focus a bit away from the center point. :(

Any updates from Yuneec regarding this issue?

Hey John, I just got my new Typhoon H yesterday and it looks like I have the same issue...the videos and pictures look out of focus a bit away from the center point. :(

Any updates from Yuneec regarding this issue?
Yes indeed, although Yuneec has been of zero help regarding this issue, i was able to find a great video online
they go thru changing the lens but if you just want to refocus, the same steps apply.

my problem, as it turns out was not any defect, but just a simple focus issue. My guess is when they put these cameras together, they didn't spend any time making sure they were properly focused, another 1/4 turn at the factory and i wouldnt be writing this post in the first place. i had my original camera replaced with one that was only slightly better. the left 1/3 of the image was fuzzy ( made you want to rub your eyes when looking at the images or video). I called Yuneec again and while they are always very nice, they just don't follow thru. And they seem to behind the hobbyists on youtube when it comes to figuring out how to fix their own products. And of course their lack of documentation, detailed manuals and firmware update instructions is still one of my biggest complaints. They build a great machine for sure, but they need to step up their game on support.

Anyway, this morning i took my camera all apart, and using the st16 as a monitor i was able to refocus the lens. Needless to say it now looks as it should! And I am quite pleased with the quality, no thanks to Yuneec. but rather thank you to Bo Lorentzen for taking the time to post a very easy to follow video.

Reactions: Graeme Buckley
Yes indeed, although Yuneec has been of zero help regarding this issue, i was able to find a great video online
they go thru changing the lens but if you just want to refocus, the same steps apply.

my problem, as it turns out was not any defect, but just a simple focus issue. My guess is when they put these cameras together, they didn't spend any time making sure they were properly focused, another 1/4 turn at the factory and i wouldnt be writing this post in the first place. i had my original camera replaced with one that was only slightly better. the left 1/3 of the image was fuzzy ( made you want to rub your eyes when looking at the images or video). I called Yuneec again and while they are always very nice, they just don't follow thru. And they seem to behind the hobbyists on youtube when it comes to figuring out how to fix their own products. And of course their lack of documentation, detailed manuals and firmware update instructions is still one of my biggest complaints. They build a great machine for sure, but they need to step up their game on support.

Anyway, this morning i took my camera all apart, and using the st16 as a monitor i was able to refocus the lens. Needless to say it now looks as it should! And I am quite pleased with the quality, no thanks to Yuneec. but rather thank you to Bo Lorentzen for taking the time to post a very easy to follow video.
yep saw this video as well really good, i also have an issue that seems to be out of focus and have been dealing with Yuneec UK after sending them screens to prove my firmware etc is upto to date things have gone quiet, i was gonna leave it a few days but it might be worth my time just following this vid to see if it resolves it :)

Reactions: John K. Fitzgerald
yep saw this video as well really good, i also have an issue that seems to be out of focus and have been dealing with Yuneec UK after sending them screens to prove my firmware etc is upto to date things have gone quiet, i was gonna leave it a few days but it might be worth my time just following this vid to see if it resolves it :)

Yes, "gone quiet", I wouldnt hold your breath, they aren't going to call back. it amazes me that for a company who builds such a great bird, they trip all over themselves when it comes to taking care of issues like this. it seems the nerds ( I can say that because I am a nerd too;)) on YouTube know more about their products than they do! I could have bought the DJI inspire, but I heard that DJI's tech support is even worse!?!

it's a bit of work for sure, but i just got tired of Yuneec doing nothing. I talked to them again last Thursday, they were going to have their "techs" look at the photos (again), and get back to me. once again, they haven't. Needless to say I am a bit irritated that I had to finish their job.

The q5004k cameras seemed to be just fine, and since the only difference is the gimbal, i expected nothing less. although I have had zero issues with the "H" itself so far, (other than the camera), I am beginning to lose confidence.

And Yuneec, if you are reading this, you guys really need to get it together, your tech support is moving in the wrong direction!

Reactions: Graeme Buckley
We apologize for the inconvenience. If your camera is experiencing focus/blurring issues please call tech support for assistance.

Yuneec US Tech Support
1-844-898-6332 /[email protected]
M-F 6am-5pm PST
Sat. 8am-4:30pm PST

Hey Yuneec Support, we have contacted you, and you send us replacement cameras with the same problem. we call back, send in pics and you say you will get back to us....you don't! Instead we have to trouble shoot and fix these issues ourselves. The problem with the "soft' pictures is focus! the fix is about an 1/8 of a turn on the lens, but the process is quite delicate and time consuming. You have had well over a month to figure this out and make it right. But you guys seem to do nothing at all. You wont even admit that you have a problem when all you have to do is read this thread!

I saw a review of the H on Amazon the other day where the guy was disappointed in the picture quality, said it was "soft", he got a replacement camera with the same problem. So he sent the entire Typhoon system back and bought a P4! A step down if you ask me, but it just goes to show you how something so minor can have a huge impact.

We all love the H, it's a great bird for sure! But it's pretty sad when WE have to do what should have been done at the factory. But even still, how many fuzzy cameras do you guys have to see before someone there figures out how simple the fix is? C'mon you guys, you have an awesome product, your support should be every bit as good!

It could be that you guys are just too busy answering questions that could have been handled if you only included a "detailed" owners manual with your $1300.00 machine. I actually had to call support to get a proper manual, and even then, there are still plenty of details that this "detailed" manual doesn't cover.

Tech support isn't that tuff: identify the problem, find a solution and execute. In this case you seem to be stuck on identifying the problem. I'll give you a clue....check the lens.

Sorry to be such a whiner, but some of us are more than just a little frustrated with Yuneec's support! You need to step it up a bit if you want us to stay with you!

Reactions: JohnL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin