Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H CGO3+ camera has a focus problem. Period.

I'm probably going to return mine as well. Got it from a 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon so I don't know what the policy is.

The camera quality is poor and if I need a class in cinematography to work it to get a good exposure, I don't consider that a consumer product.
Ignore my never comment I posted on wrong section sorry

The CGO3+ is a rolling shutter camera with a fixed focal distance. The M is manual EV or exposure value. Next time you are flying go into manual mode upon setup (after you have set and locked white balance) on a day with just moderate sunlight, with ISO at 100 see what you get on your screen at 1/60. It will be washed out and white as you are exposing the sensor to to much light. With ISO at 100 roll the exposure to anywhere between 1/320s to 1/800s and see what you get. This does not work in auto mode and you should be shooting in natural mode rather than gorgeous mode. PS. I shoot video with the H not stills. Perhaps there is a different situation with photos. Shoot 4K and encode the footage to 1080p30 for your edit.

The CGO3+ is a rolling shutter camera with a fixed focal distance. The M is manual EV or exposure value. Next time you are flying go into manual mode upon setup (after you have set and locked white balance) on a day with just moderate sunlight, with ISO at 100 see what you get on your screen at 1/60. It will be washed out and white as you are exposing the sensor to to much light. With ISO at 100 roll the exposure to anywhere between 1/320s to 1/800s and see what you get. This does not work in auto mode and you should be shooting in natural mode rather than gorgeous mode. PS. I shoot video with the H not stills. Perhaps there is a different situation with photos. Shoot 4K and encode the footage to 1080p30 for your edit.
Nice looking video, JC. Good color and exposure. Sharpness looks fine but would need to see 4k version to know.
You can use ND filters to allow shooting at ISO 100 and 1/60s. I typically use ND16 for bright sunny day. Here's a source:
https://www.amazon.com/PolarPro-Yuneec-Typhoon-Filter-3-Pack/dp/B01CG62PQW
I wholeheartedly agree that Natural mode, Manual exposure and Locked white balance are best.

:D

Calling it a trapezoid was a joke between the 2 DPReview guys who created the beginner video for photographers getting into video. I just took a screen shot of it. :)

They also argued about “gain” instead of ISO. It seems hard core videographers don’t conform to the long held terms that photographers established. Some don’t like ISO or gain and it’s just EV. Go figure.

Reactions: Rubik
I'm getting moderate feelings about my CGO3+. After watching and comparing with some samples from Captain Drone I'm left with a taste that my videos are not as sharp and pleasant to look at.

It bothers me even more since my H is still on warranty for a month or so. Would someone with properly working camera be as kind to look at the recorded samples and let me know what they think? Should I ask Yuneec for a replacement or the camera seems fine?

Here are the samples: TyphoonH test - Google Drive
(Warning - they are full size without compression)

test1 and test2 - were filmed with ND4 filter, fixed white balance and ISO100, 1/60 shutter

test3 - auto white balance, auto exposure, stock filter

Last edited:
I'm getting moderate feelings about my CGO3+. After watching and comparing with some samples from Captain Drone I'm left with a taste that my videos are not as sharp and pleasant to look at.

It bothers me even more since my H is still on warranty for a month or so. Would someone with properly working camera be as kind to look at the recorded samples and let me know what they think? Should I ask Yuneec for a replacement or the camera seems fine?

test1 and test2 - were filmed with ND4 filter, fixed white balance and ISO100, 1/60 shutter

There is a way to sharpen the image produced by the camera. I forget the details but I do know it's done via the Wi-Fi link to alter a setting in the software. Someone step in and clarify.

Do a search (magnifying glass top right of screen) and you should find info on it.

The first one looks very soft to me, like a fingerprint on the lens or cheap quality ND filter. The other videos look about like I would expect for the subject and lighting. If you want to test sharpness, shoot still images with the aircraft stationary. Choose a subject that has a lot of detail and contrast. Side lighting on a clear day will show the most detail.
Of course, if you want to get the most from your images, you need to some post processing or color grading.

Reactions: rdonson
There is a way to sharpen the image produced by the camera. I forget the details but I do know it's done via the Wi-Fi link to alter a setting in the software. Someone step in and clarify.

Do a search (magnifying glass top right of screen) and you should find info on it.

You can adjust the image to your liking in terms of sharpness with the "Get Sharpness" command. Also note, that making this adjustment will equally apply in both photo and video modes.

Connect to the CGO3 through your wireless connection, whether on a smartphone or your home Wifi. Once connected, type this into your web browser:

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=GET_SHARPNESS

It should return a value of what the sharpness is set at for your camera. The default is at "6".

To change it, type this into your web browser to change the value, by changing the end value of the command line, 1 thru 10. The higher the number, the greater the degree of sharpening in-camera.

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=5

Thank you! Must try it out. Any suggestions what value(s) you personally use?

Tried shooting in diffrent lighting and at average I'm having a feeling the videos are too soft all the time - looking like in Test1 video. Made pretty sure the lens were clean and the ND filter was PolarPro so should be working alright.

Actually, for 1080p video, I think they look pretty good. Were these videos shot in 1080p or 4k and down-converted? If you are intent on 1080p video, I've found that the higher bit rate of 4k makes a better 1080p video than shooting directly in 1080p.

You should share some 3000x4000 still images (Camera mode) and 4k video to make a make better judgement.

Reactions: rdonson
Thank you! Must try it out. Any suggestions what value(s) you personally use?

Tried shooting in diffrent lighting and at average I'm having a feeling the videos are too soft all the time - looking like in Test1 video. Made pretty sure the lens were clean and the ND filter was PolarPro so should be working alright.

Start at 7 for sharpness. Increase if its not enough but be aware if you go too high it will be crunchy looking.

Start at 7 for sharpness. Increase if its not enough but be aware if you go too high it will be crunchy looking.

If you are still dissatisfied with a setting of "7", serious consideration needs to be given to upgrading the OEM lens to a PixAero 3.77... or at the very least, having your OEM lens re-focused. Do not assume that every OEM lens was optimally focused.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval