Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H drifts upon landing

Reaction score
My Tyhoon constantly drifts or tilts upon landing before I have a chance to shut down the rotors, causing it to tilt over and more often than not break a blade or two. I've noticed that it usually tilts/drifts to the right of the done (my left as it is facing me). I have calibrated everything several times, have good gps locks. I have not performed the most recent firmware updates (thought I'd get this issue resolved before attempting an update) but the H was only bought in December of 2016. Unfortunately I am not the original owner.
I have tried to land in both smart and angle modes but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also flying in wide open park like settings. I have RealSense but have never turned it on yet.
Anyone else have this issue or ideas how to resolve?
Thanks inadvance

Most have the same problem after the update. If you search the forum you will find a lot issues with that and the landing gear not wanting to go up or sometimes down. Some have found that you need to hover for a few seconds a few feet above ground ( perhaps 10 seconds to be safe ) then begin to land with the avoidance set to off. Some have done the same, but upon landing hit the kill switch right away, others have landed and held down the left stick to keep it down with landing. Again, a search with the search tool will tell you about more peoples experience with it. There really is no one solution, but what ever will work best for you. Hopefully Yuneec fixes this.

I have not performed the most recent firmware updates (thought I'd get this issue resolved before attempting an update) but the H was only bought in December of 2016. Unfortunately I am not the original owner.
I have tried to land in both smart and angle modes but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also flying in wide open park like settings. I have RealSense but have never turned it on yet.

Only fly in Angle Mode for a week or two. Study the videos on updating and do update to the latest firmware.
After updating, re-calibrate. Compass calibration is tricky, when you get it right the steady green light on the craft will show.
Go slow, take your time and be sure you understand what you are about to do.

Good luck, you'll get it going.

Reactions: smokey
Most have the same problem after the update. If you search the forum you will find a lot issues with that and the landing gear not wanting to go up or sometimes down. Some have found that you need to hover for a few seconds a few feet above ground ( perhaps 10 seconds to be safe ) then begin to land with the avoidance set to off. Some have done the same, but upon landing hit the kill switch right away, others have landed and held down the left stick to keep it down with landing. Again, a search with the search tool will tell you about more peoples experience with it. There really is no one solution, but what ever will work best for you. Hopefully Yuneec fixes this.

Murray,

I have noticed you have mentioned this 'hover before landing' a few times now in response to the type of situation being discussed here. May I ask how you have formulated that belief?

The reason I ask is because I have been heavily involved in recent discussions surrounding the following, also being referred to "toilet bowl". [Ed: I really think we need a different term!]
  1. Oscillating flight - starts out slow - back to back, side to side, increasing to more of an oval type flight pattern
  2. Upon landing - the motors do not always immediately go to idle - sometimes tipping or flipping the H
  3. While some have experienced the above higher up, most I have observed are close to the landing surface.
  4. Hovering is typically required to start seeing this phenomenon, typically under six feet.
Therefore, what is recommended as a landing procedure is to AVOID hovering, other than maybe a "flair out" (short hover) just a few inches above ground to soften the actual touchdown.

Mitigation procedure: The second recommendation, should one suspect either oscillating flight is starting, in progress, or... upon touchdown the motors are not acting as though they are going to idle: lift off again! Gain some altitude if at all possible (10 - 20 feet), ensure stability, and try a straight-forward landing. No hesitation.

If the second attempt still encounters unexpected and uncontrollable movement: gain altitude again, turn off GPS, observe characteristics to know how the H is responding, and land as soon as possible.

Practicing these "emergency" procedures is not a bad thing either, even if your craft is behaving correctly.

In my own experience, being prepared mentally for the possibilities has allowed me to react and save my ships, aside from my very first encounter with this issue.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

I've had mine for about three months. It's rock solid in the air but often drifts near the ground and I've now had three post-landing 'incidents' where it tipped over and dug in (and broke) a prop; once it also threw off the gimbal mount but otherwise no further damage. I've tried pausing near the ground, but doesn't seem to help and any application of control just seems to exacerbate the movement. Incidents both before and after update; with wizard and with ST16. Latest was today, flying about 2 miles from location of latest compass calibration; after update and full calibration and subsequent successful flights. Was landing just after first battery warning and with avoidance off. Tendency to drift forward, I was flying over uneven terrain so was trying to land fairly precisely.

In 15 years of RC helicopter flying, I had a few crashes but never during or after landing! Going to start hand-catching now if I have any doubt over landing stability.

My first thought suggests taking your fingers off the right stick and assuring the left stick remains centered but fully down after touch down. Flight controls remain active until the props stop. If you move them the aircraft will respond accordingly.

Murray,

I have noticed you have mentioned this 'hover before landing' a few times now in response to the type of situation being discussed here. May I ask how you have formulated that belief?

The reason I ask is because I have been heavily involved in recent discussions surrounding the following, also being referred to "toilet bowl". [Ed: I really think we need a different term!]
  1. Oscillating flight - starts out slow - back to back, side to side, increasing to more of an oval type flight pattern
  2. Upon landing - the motors do not always immediately go to idle - sometimes tipping or flipping the H
  3. While some have experienced the above higher up, most I have observed are close to the landing surface.
  4. Hovering is typically required to start seeing this phenomenon, typically under six feet.
Therefore, what is recommended as a landing procedure is to AVOID hovering, other than maybe a "flair out" (short hover) just a few inches above ground to soften the actual touchdown.

Mitigation procedure: The second recommendation, should one suspect either oscillating flight is starting, in progress, or... upon touchdown the motors are not acting as though they are going to idle: lift off again! Gain some altitude if at all possible (10 - 20 feet), ensure stability, and try a straight-forward landing. No hesitation.

If the second attempt still encounters unexpected and uncontrollable movement: gain altitude again, turn off GPS, observe characteristics to know how the H is responding, and land as soon as possible.

Practicing these "emergency" procedures is not a bad thing either, even if your craft is behaving correctly.

In my own experience, being prepared mentally for the possibilities has allowed me to react and save my ships, aside from my very first encounter with this issue.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
My post is based on what others have tried and said worked on here. I tried the same thing and it resolved it for me ( though this does not stop the problem, it's just a band aid ). I am finding that I need to hover for a few moments before I land, if I do not, the drone wants to flip over to the left or right the moment it touches down, depending which way the drone is facing. This never happened before the update, but right after the update upon first flight, it happened, and happens every time now. I could video it for you if you are prepared to pay for the damage to the drone if I let it flip.

Reactions: Franko
I've had mine for about three months. It's rock solid in the air but often drifts near the ground and I've now had three post-landing 'incidents' where it tipped over and dug in (and broke) a prop; once it also threw off the gimbal mount but otherwise no further damage. I've tried pausing near the ground, but doesn't seem to help and any application of control just seems to exacerbate the movement. Incidents both before and after update; with wizard and with ST16. Latest was today, flying about 2 miles from location of latest compass calibration; after update and full calibration and subsequent successful flights. Was landing just after first battery warning and with avoidance off. Tendency to drift forward, I was flying over uneven terrain so was trying to land fairly precisely.

In 15 years of RC helicopter flying, I had a few crashes but never during or after landing! Going to start hand-catching now if I have any doubt over landing stability.

Dave,

Try to avoid hovering any time below 4 or 5 feet. Come straight down and land, soft yes, but try not to hover. If it starts oscillating, go back up.

If you notice the motors not going to idle, try lifting back up, hover at 10 or 20 feet. Hopefully she will stabilize. Get over your landing area and come straight down without hesitation. Be ready to hit the kill switch.

Only stating the above as a reminder...

Jeff

Reactions: Dave Stingray
My post is based on what others have tried and said worked on here. I tried the same thing and it resolved it for me ( though this does not stop the problem, it's just a band aid ). I am finding that I need to hover for a few moments before I land, if I do not, the drone wants to flip over to the left or right the moment it touches down, depending which way the drone is facing. This never happened before the update, but right after the update upon first flight, it happened, and happens every time now. I could video it for you if you are prepared to pay for the damage to the drone if I let it flip.

Nope! Don't need no more expenses!

I was simply stating I have not seen anyone recommend hovering, but rather noticing issues creeping in IF hovering at very low altitude.

Since you say it "happens every time" now, have you tried bringing her home to about 10 feet, turning off GPS, and then trying to land? If that works, we have more real life data for Yuneec to think about.

Jeff

Nope! Don't need no more expenses!

I was simply stating I have not seen anyone recommend hovering, but rather noticing issues creeping in IF hovering at very low altitude.

Since you say it "happens every time" now, have you tried bringing her home to about 10 feet, turning off GPS, and then trying to land? If that works, we have more real life data for Yuneec to think about.

Jeff
I didn't take offence and knew where you were coming from with it. Spring has just hit here so it tends to be windy in a lot of areas. I do fly without GPS usually. I'm hoping to be able to try more on the weekend, but with our new rules from Transport Canada, there is not really anywhere to fly close by that wouldn't be on the bald prairie, and wide open here means wind thus GPS for now. Got a couple ideas of where I might be able to go to turn off the GPS, so hoping. If it turns out it is "Oscillating" ( better than toilet ), then I will find out. Usually when I land, I don't waste time, I just land, but as I say, with the wanting to flip, I am starting to think it may be Oscillating, just I am never still with the H long enough to see it happen.

Dave,

Try to avoid hovering any time below 4 or 5 feet. Come straight down and land, soft yes, but try not to hover. If it starts oscillating, go back up.

If you notice the motors not going to idle, try lifting back up, hover at 10 or 20 feet. Hopefully she will stabilize. Get over your landing area and come straight down without hesitation. Be ready to hit the kill switch.

Only stating the above as a reminder...

Jeff
Mine flew like a dream today, apart from a compass warning at 140metres (at the same location where I last calibrated); but hovered without drift close to the ground, and higher. Think wind may be a factor in my previous incidents, plus when it starts drifting or bouncing, the pilots urgency to get it down and shut down the props.

Mine flew like a dream today, apart from a compass warning at 140metres (at the same location where I last calibrated); but hovered without drift close to the ground, and higher. Think wind may be a factor in my previous incidents, plus when it starts drifting or bouncing, the pilots urgency to get it down and shut down the props.

Dave,

You reiterated exactly the point I have been trying to articulate; the part about "...pilots urgency to get it down and shut down the props." That is what I believe is getting people in trouble.

What do the big boys have when an aircraft has a service bulletin? Mitigation procedures document, or something like that?

I believe something similar is what we need, as UAS pilots with the Typhoon H. Something that says: "When near the surface, unexpected drifting may occur. If unchecked, this drifting may grow to an oscillating or circular flight path, growing larger with time. Aileron or rudder control may be diminished or sluggish. Actual landing is possible, however motors may resist idle, causing craft to tip or even flip. If this condition is encountered, attempt to gain altitude as soon as possible (10 to 20 feet). Craft should stabilize. Land directly without additional hovering. If condition returns, gain altitude, stabilize, turn off GPS, then attempt landing. In emergency, be ready to kill motors using RED motor button."

What do you think?

Jeff

Reactions: Murray Martz
Dave,

You reiterated exactly the point I have been trying to articulate; the part about "...pilots urgency to get it down and shut down the props." That is what I believe is getting people in trouble.

What do the big boys have when an aircraft has a service bulletin? Mitigation procedures document, or something like that?

I believe something similar is what we need, as UAS pilots with the Typhoon H. Something that says: "When near the surface, unexpected drifting may occur. If unchecked, this drifting may grow to an oscillating or circular flight path, growing larger with time. Aileron or rudder control may be diminished or sluggish. Actual landing is possible, however motors may resist idle, causing craft to tip or even flip. If this condition is encountered, attempt to gain altitude as soon as possible (10 to 20 feet). Craft should stabilize. Land directly without additional hovering. If condition returns, gain altitude, stabilize, turn off GPS, then attempt landing. In emergency, be ready to kill motors using RED motor button."

What do you think?

Jeff
It's something everyone should learn or be aware of. In the real world, they'd have accident investigations which may lead to modifications to the aircraft manual or pilot training.

I commented elsewhere on wind effects and strongly believe that in windy conditions the props need to turn slower to maintain altitude (the H seems very good at holding altitude) and this leads to less control response, especially if we're stirring the sticks as well as the AP.

Something else the big boys do, they never commit to a landing unless the landing remains controlled and stabilized. They are always ready to abort a landing if needed and try again.

It seems many of us are mentally done with a flight before the aircraft has completed it.

BTW, about 3 years ago I adopted the stop the descent and hover just above the ground habit. Issues with less than stable landings ended that day with everything I fly.

Something else the big boys do, they never commit to a landing unless the landing remains controlled and stabilized. They are always ready to abort a landing if needed and try again.

It seems many of us are mentally done with a flight before the aircraft has completed it.

BTW, about 3 years ago I adopted the stop the descent and hover just above the ground habit. Issues with less than stable landings ended that day with everything I fly.

PatR,

I call that a flare, in my case, as to what I have adopted for my landing protocol. Come down as steady as possible and let up just before touchdown to soften the landing. Sometimes it works really smooth and no one watching would notice. Sometimes it ends up with a short little hover just a few inches from touchdown. Whatever works for each pilot.

The trick seems to be to avoid a hover at around 4 feet or so. From the videos, that is what I am seeing.

I also agree we are in sync: be prepared to abort a landing.

Thanks!

Jeff

My first thought suggests taking your fingers off the right stick and assuring the left stick remains centered but fully down after touch down.

Exactly. I hesitated to come in here because of all the ideas floating around. I have no problems with recent updates. I fly quite a bit with 3 different THs, all made at different times. All updated to latest USA firmware.

I personally use my thumbs to operate both sticks, fingers underneath the ST16. I have been aware that these sticks are very soft, and it's all too easy to pull the left stick back and be slightly to the left or right of center. A couple days ago I tested this (bravely) with two different craft, touched down with the left stick a hair off-center. Yikes! It immediately revved up and tilted:eek:. Since I was prepared, I just quickly pushed the stick forward and lifted up. I do not encourage anyone to try this.

We all develop favorite methods of landing. Personally, with GPS on, in Angle Mode, OA off, I put the craft in a Turtle hover 18" to 24" above my landing pad, then bump the right stick to center it. May take a few bumps if you overshoot.

Then, leaving the right stick alone, I pull the centered left stick back (not too fast). As the craft sets down without bouncing, I pull the left stick all the way back until the props spin down (count 1-2-3). Let the left stick slowly go back to center, then release it and hold the red button down until the props stop. Almost anyone can take off with ease...here's the thing: Take off fast, but land slow and careful. Don't be distracted.

Had this issue, now I hold left stick full down while pushing shut off button or I have hand caught and shut down and always in
angle mode. This is how I solved this problem for me.

I've been flying my Typhoon H since November and experienced this same issue out of the box. At first I thought this had more to do with me being a first-time drone pilot. Each landing seemed strenuous and nerve-wrecking because it seemed like it would touch down, then begin to drag/skid and tip, even while holding the left stick down firmly the entire time.

I did some manual calibrations after learning of the desktop software which gave me real-time visibility into sensor reading such as pitch, yaw, etc.

In the beginning I would also come in slow and hover before landing. But echoing @NorWiscPilot I started to realize that the slow approach seemed to get me into more trouble - I felt as though I was having to both concentrate on landing (in general) and then try to compensate or predict drift or circling. I experienced the same issue, mentioned above, that also identified that the motors wouldn't drop to idle when the drone landed.

My work around in the early days consisted of getting as low as possible and then shutting off the engines when it was a couple inches above ground - but I hated doing this since I felt "dropping" a drone (even from a couple inches) was not exactly going to fare well for me, in the long run.

My bigger complaint, in general, is that it seems inconsistent. While the majority of the time it does occur, there are many times I can land fine without issue. I currently have an Autel Pro and DJI - to be honest, I have the greatest number of complaints with the Yuneec, but of the three I truly love flying the Yuneec more than the others. Both in terms of range, videography////photography and features, I prefer the Yuneec over the others, given the caveats. My chief issue I've noticed of the three is simply put that the Yuneec does not seem to be as flight stable when it comes to landing or hovering as my other two. Even when I've seen YouTube videos of battery tests, etc. you can clearly see the drift, toilet flush effect (or what are we calling it?) and identifiable difference in how this craft lands with considerably less confidence compared to the other ones.

My work around now consists of the following:

• Move response to "rabbit" mode
  • Lower landing gear (if it's up)
  • Descend from at least 15ft+ rapidly until about my height above ground and immediately release left stick
  • I switch out of GPS mode (unless there is wind/breeze or anything that would make me feel more comfortable with GPS lock)
  • As craft is nearly stopped from descent (I'm assuming this is similar to what you're calling 'flaring', @NorWiscPilot ?) then I pull down about half way to continue landing process
  • As soon as I'm just above ground I place my finger on motor control switch to prepare to shutdown motors
  • I keep my left thumb on left controller and am always prepared to shoot the craft straight up if I see any concerning drift or craft hesitation in landing - being in 'rabbit' mode helps ensure it remains relatively response to urgent ascent commands
  • Rinse-and-repeat if I don't get it down the first time
To Jeff's point earlier, even in witnessing friends that I've let fly my unit, I've noticed that when they're done - they're done. There seems to be little effort in providing additional time or willingness to repeat a landing approach if something doesn't seem right. One time, a friend brought it down and, sure enough, the unit tipped after landing tearing up one of the blades. When I asked: "why didn't you just go back up a bit to stabilize it?" his reply was: "Oh I thought it would just do it on it's own, I was just trying to get it down quickly..."

My work around now consists of the following:

• Move response to "rabbit" mode
  • Lower landing gear (if it's up)
  • Descend from at least 15ft+ rapidly until about my height above ground and immediately release left stick
  • I switch out of GPS mode (unless there is wind/breeze or anything that would make me feel more comfortable with GPS lock)
  • As craft is nearly stopped from descent (I'm assuming this is similar to what you're calling 'flaring', @NorWiscPilot ?) then I pull down about half way to continue landing process
  • As soon as I'm just above ground I place my finger on motor control switch to prepare to shutdown motors
  • I keep my left thumb on left controller and am always prepared to shoot the craft straight up if I see any concerning drift or craft hesitation in landing - being in 'rabbit' mode helps ensure it remains relatively response to urgent ascent commands
  • Rinse-and-repeat if I don't get it down the first time

Holy Moly, you should not have to do this at all. Call Yuneec and let them fix your faulty drone. This is not at all typical Typhoon H behavior.

Holy Moly, you should not have to do this at all. Call Yuneec and let them fix your faulty drone. This is not at all typical Typhoon H behavior.

I have! The first time was a month after I purchased it because, as I mentioned, I originally thought this had more to do with my lack of experience. When I joined this forum and saw similar comments and experiences, the first time I called the tech guided me through upgrading firmware. There was virtually no change in effect. The tech was the one that actually revealed that I could download the windows desktop software and connect directly into the drone (which made me fall in love a bit more) and complete some calibrations.

I've called back to indicate nothing really has ever changed and the last time I spoke to anyone (back in December) they indicated "slight drift should be expected for any consumer drone."

It's certainly no where near as unnerving as it was when I first started this hobby, so I've not pursued it too much. Also - and I don't mean this in any way to put down Yuneec - but reading some of the bad stories of people who have had their drone gone for weeks or months has made me hesitant. I figured I'd wait for a larger co-morbidity before sending it in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430