Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H flyaway.

Reaction score
I had a Typhoon H flyaway a couple of weeks ago. All previous flights were flawless. No warnings or pilot errors. It banked to the right after completing a 180 turn in hover and flew out of control into the pucker brush. Luckily it was only about 50ft high when it went rogue. The damage is easily repairable, but I need to fix the cause. Yuneec is looking at my flight logs now. I immediately ordered a replacement H because I don't know how long my first typhoon will be down. I updated the firmware on my 2nd H and the ST16. I intend to update the first H as well. I thought it might have been because I neglected to do the update before the fly away. To make a long story short- Has anyone had a similar experience, or have any input. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I had a Typhoon H flyaway a couple of weeks ago. All previous flights were flawless. No warnings or pilot errors. It banked to the right after completing a 180 turn in hover and flew out of control into the pucker brush. Luckily it was only about 50ft high when it went rogue. The damage is easily repairable, but I need to fix the cause. Yuneec is looking at my flight logs now. I immediately ordered a replacement H because I don't know how long my first typhoon will be down. I updated the firmware on my 2nd H and the ST16. I intend to update the first H as well. I thought it might have been because I neglected to do the update before the fly away. To make a log story short- Has anyone had a similar experience, or have any input. Any info would be appreciated.
Although I have not experienced it, some people have said the H will take off in a different direction if the GPS module fails in flight. Have you heard back from Yuneec?

Although I have not experienced it, some people have said the H will take off in a different direction if the GPS module fails in flight. Have you heard back from Yuneec?
I have not heard from Yuneec yet but I hope to soon. I wonder if the gps module is faulty or a firmware problem. Can't you buy the top cover with the gps unit already installed? My top cover is cracked. it might solve both problems.

I have not heard from Yuneec yet but I hope to soon. I wonder if the gps module is faulty or a firmware problem. Can't you buy the top cover with the gps unit already installed? My top cover is cracked. it might solve both problems.
If they have the flightlogs perhaps you should call and check the status. Sometimes they aren't good about returning calls.
The crack in the top shell could indicate damage to the GPS antenna. Hopefully they can make a determination from the logs.

I think the top shell and GPS module are separate parts. The GPS module is taped to the inside of the top module with gold Kapton tape.

Yes the top cover is available with the GPS unit already installed. See link below.

YUNEEC TYPHOON H TOP AIR FRAME WITH GPS COMPONENTS

Reactions: THoff
The module is held with 4 screws on the top cover, the RF shield is stuck on over the module. I found that wrapping the module cable once thru a toroid gets rid of all compass errors. Yuneec need to rethink this. This compass is too close to a lot of magnetic interference from the ESCs and battery.

Reactions: PatR
When things go wrong, I think it is typically the Compass board that is the problem. The GPS module plugs into the compass board and feeds the signal but it's the compass board that makes the "decisions." At least that is my understanding. Maybe they are one in the same?

Reactions: SirJohn99 and PatR
If they have the flightlogs perhaps you should call and check the status. Sometimes they aren't good about returning calls.
The crack in the top shell could indicate damage to the GPS antenna. Hopefully they can make a determination from the logs.
Thanks Steve that sounds like a good idea. I was really hoping to here from them when I got home from work this evening.

When things go wrong, I think it is typically the Compass board that is the problem. The GPS module plugs into the compass board and feeds the signal but it's the compass board that makes the "decisions." At least that is my understanding. Maybe they are one in the same?
I wonder if the compass board is a plug and play unit. I would hate to have to send this thing out to be repaired. No one local will touch the electronics if it needs soldering. I'm pretty handy but some of the circuit boards require a lot of finness.

Last edited:
The module is held with 4 screws on the top cover, the RF shield is stuck on over the module. I found that wrapping the module cable once thru a toroid gets rid of all compass errors. Yuneec need to rethink this. This compass is too close to a lot of magnetic interference from the ESCs and battery.
That's true. When you do a compass calibration, they want you to do it away from anything that can cause interference. What about the internal components.

I see toroids are available. I've never used one before. I have seen them on RC helicopters, didn't know what it was. Yuneec doesn't know what happened but they think it was interference of some sort. So I may replace the gps module and try the toroid. I'm not sure what size, looks like there are plenty to choose from. thanks

Last edited:
Well the one I used I had bought to use on the APM flight controllers. Don't know the value but it works. If you buy my GPS module I will include one.

Here is some food for thought.

Magnetic Interference — Copter documentation
That's good info. I will let you know asap. I don't think Yuneec can help me. I think I might take the drone apart so I can wrap my head around the inner components. I've dissected a Hubsan X4 pro before. Being a mechanic by trade, not too much bothers me in taking things apart and reassembling them. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval