Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H GPS Lost! Fly Away! My story!

What happens when the copter refuses to take any commands from the controller?

Yuneec relies heavily on GPS; it is the primary mode. Only by fumbling through the screen can it be turned off, and I'm not sure that can be done in flight. Maybe so. It should be a switch IMO, but it was dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Companies should never advertise their flying robots as "easy to fly".
Yuneec doesnt even come close to providing an adequate user's manual so how easy could it be in reality?

The manual leaves a lot to be desired but there's ample evidence showing many don't bother to review any of it, or the information provided on the system SD card. The manual clearly states to use the H in LOS operations only but there are many posts from people that have experienced problems well beyond line of sight.

Things should be kept in balance. When someone reads something is easy to do they might consider "easy" is a relative term. If they know nothing it will be more difficult for them than someone with some experience. The less we know about something we want to do the more involved we should be with learning as much as we can before participating in the activity. Since they have access to the internet they have no excuse for remaining ignorant, they did so by choice. The ST-16 screen is quite easy to navigate, once we learn where everything is. Those that "fumble" trying to find something failed to learn the tool they were handling, which was the root cause of their fumbling.

We don't have to be flying to learn where all the controls are and what they do, just as we don't have to be on a battlefield to learn how to field strip a jammed weapon. We should learn this stuff before putting the aircraft in the air. The camera and gimbal controls for the H work just as well with the aircraft sitting outside on a table as they do with the aircraft in flight. On the ground is where the time should be spent becoming familiar with switches and sliders. You can't crash if the props aren't turning and the H hasn't left the ground. If you can't look at the screen and instantly identify and select the control function you want/need to activate or deactivate you're not ready to be flying the aircraft. Develop competence. With competence comes earned confidence.

People need to stop blaming the tools for their own failures and lack of initiative. BTW, GPS can be turned off and on in flight. Don't try it in Smart mode and expect the aircraft to respond like it's in Smart mode though.

Last edited:
I agree Pat. I spent thousands upon thousands of dollars for CFIs, simulators that were not required by the FAA for all of my manned flight hours so I could understand how to operate my aircraft and all of its systems( which came with very good user manuals) Most people have too cavalier of an attitude now days when it comes to mastering how to operate ANYTHING. Until Yuneec offers a much better POH I still place alot of blame on Yuneec for "user errors". After all every pilot of a manned airplane is REQUIRED to have an actual POH on his person for the aircraft he operates. The FAA should mandate the same for drones to force manufactures to produce a POH. All of us who have properly trained on how to use our RC birds are paying for the possible negligence of drone manufacturers who don't produce an adequate POH. i.e. Future warranty costs built into the cost of a unit.

Pat, on another note; could you imagine a new passenger carrying aircraft coming with a useless manual like Yuneec provides? Unfortunately people will have to die before an adequate POH for drones will mandated. No matter if the manufacturer, the user or both are at fault

We don't disagree. In documentation Yuneec has a tremendous amount of room for improvement. If they were to provide better documentation that would have considerably less "warranty' work to perform, reducing their overhead and increasing profitability. If documentation was considerably better people could read about the systems when making buying decisions, which would likely prompt more to go with Yuneec than the other brands. The only reason for the lack of documentation can only be because Yuneec has not wanted to develop it.

From my perspective Yuneec documentation, and their website, are in desperate need of a lot of attention. If the 520 is as poorly documented as the H, Yuneec will have put themselves in a world of hurt.

Reactions: Robert Brooks
Last saturday, June 25th, around 4:45pm I went to my favorite open area to fly my Typhoon H. I started the ST16 first then the Typhoon H. Waited to get initialized then I suddenly noticed that the CGO3+ camera had a live feed way before the satellites on the Typhoon and ST16 did...my thoughts was like..."Wow! That's new!" Still satellites "Acquiring". Then came the "Ready" status. Checked all the satellites one more time... I have about 19. Turned on the motors... then I ascended to about 200ft. Everything was going well until, "VROOM!!!" My Typhoon H started flying away... and it was fast! Then the ST16 vibrated, "GPS Lost! Manual flight only!" PANIC TIME!!! "FLY AWAY!" Tried controlling it and it was not responding. Horrified! Still trying while moving the left and right stick...then I noticed the H was heading far away. OH NO!!! I told myself I better do something and quick. I turned the left stick again and suddenly very little I noticed it responded but was flying very wild. Tried again... and again... and again. And little by little I felt I was starting get more control. The H started to move towards me... but swaying very badly. Then I slowly lowered it down while trying to minimize the swaying until it finally landed. I shut the motors right away. Phew! My nightmare was over..Thank god! I checked the ST16 status and it never recovered the GPS. I checked the aircraft for any damage and there it was a hairline crack on the top cover caused by the violent movements in the air. The gimbal also sustained a tiny crack where the 4k cover resides due to my emergency landing in the dirt. Overall my Typhoon H was fine and we both survived the horror.

Fast forward today, With my telemetry as my back up, Yuneec told me that they will take care of me.

Moral of the story, always fly in an open space away from people because you'll never know when technology will fail. Also, if GPS is lost while flying you can still control it manually but it won't be easy. Don't give up and keep trying! You also have the telemetry on your ST16 as a record and your proof!
Did you ever find out the reason for the fly- away?

Last saturday, June 25th, around 4:45pm I went to my favorite open area to fly my Typhoon H. I started the ST16 first then the Typhoon H. Waited to get initialized then I suddenly noticed that the CGO3+ camera had a live feed way before the satellites on the Typhoon and ST16 did...my thoughts was like..."Wow! That's new!" Still satellites "Acquiring". Then came the "Ready" status. Checked all the satellites one more time... I have about 19. Turned on the motors... then I ascended to about 200ft. Everything was going well until, "VROOM!!!" My Typhoon H started flying away... and it was fast! Then the ST16 vibrated, "GPS Lost! Manual flight only!" PANIC TIME!!! "FLY AWAY!" Tried controlling it and it was not responding. Horrified! Still trying while moving the left and right stick...then I noticed the H was heading far away. OH NO!!! I told myself I better do something and quick. I turned the left stick again and suddenly very little I noticed it responded but was flying very wild. Tried again... and again... and again. And little by little I felt I was starting get more control. The H started to move towards me... but swaying very badly. Then I slowly lowered it down while trying to minimize the swaying until it finally landed. I shut the motors right away. Phew! My nightmare was over..Thank god! I checked the ST16 status and it never recovered the GPS. I checked the aircraft for any damage and there it was a hairline crack on the top cover caused by the violent movements in the air. The gimbal also sustained a tiny crack where the 4k cover resides due to my emergency landing in the dirt. Overall my Typhoon H was fine and we both survived the horror.

Fast forward today, With my telemetry as my back up, Yuneec told me that they will take care of me.

Moral of the story, always fly in an open space away from people because you'll never know when technology will fail. Also, if GPS is lost while flying you can still control it manually but it won't be easy. Don't give up and keep trying! You also have the telemetry on your ST16 as a record and your proof!

Hello
My story is similar yesterday I lost mine up to eight foot noticed it was very into the left so I pushed the left stick up to gain altitude so did not run into anything.
It climbed and kept going left .
It flew off into the wild blue yonder. I did not panic I hit return to home . But all hope was lost it flew away never to be seen again .
I went my truck in search of my drone with the controller turned on hoping I could get a reconnection .
I searched for about an hour no luck whatsoever. I sent the Telemetry files to yuneec it is still under warranty so I hope they can remedy my problem.
Keith Kuhn

We don't disagree. In documentation Yuneec has a tremendous amount of room for improvement. If they were to provide better documentation that would have considerably less "warra
We don't disagree. In documentation Yuneec has a tremendous amount of room for improvement. If they were to provide better documentation that would have considerably less "warranty' work to perform, reducing their overhead and increasing profitability. If documentation was considerably better people could read about the systems when making buying decisions, which would likely prompt more to go with Yuneec than the other brands. The only reason for the lack of documentation can only be because Yuneec has not wanted to develop it.

From my perspective Yuneec documentation, and their website, are in desperate need of a lot of attention. If the 520 is as poorly documented as the H, Yuneec will have put themselves in a world of hurt.

nty' work to perform, reducing their overhead and increasing profitability. If documentation was considerably better people could read about the systems when making buying decisions, which would likely prompt more to go with Yuneec than the other brands. The only reason for the lack of documentation can only be because Yuneec has not wanted to develop it.

I agree Pat.
I had my first fly away yesterday.
What a shock, my drone had been flying beautiful for weeks .
I thought it was going to be just another beautiful fun day of flying. I lifted off 8 to 10 ft I noticed it started veering off to the left and I tried to correct it it did not respond. So I gave it altitude and it went up up and away off to the left never to be seen again.
I put the st16 in the truck with it on and went on a search.
Hoping it would reconnect.
No such luck ,it is under warranty and the Telemetry files have been sent to yuneec. Let's see what happens . I really love that drone oh well I am not alone in my moment of depression.
Keith Kuhn

No luck so far,
My spotter lost visual, at the same time I lost camera and telemetry simultaneous to each other. Hit return to home Immediately (set at 390) with no response, attempted to move to higher closer ground, never gained signal or site
Last video feed from st16 and GPS coordinates match time and place of loss. Also nearly 390 actual feet of elevation above launch pad.
18 hours searching an avalanche area, just the wife and I. I have a search party assembled, for Saturday.
PS: sucks to suck ,???
PSS: Looking for bird only, have many accessories.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190815-194021.png
    Screenshot_20190815-194021.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190815_162431475.jpg
    IMG_20190815_162431475.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190815_163752171.jpg
    IMG_20190815_163752171.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190815_165154290.jpg
    IMG_20190815_165154290.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190815_165158035.jpg
    IMG_20190815_165158035.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190815_165235822.jpg
    IMG_20190815_165235822.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190815_001115398.jpg
    IMG_20190815_001115398.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190815_165329274_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190815_165329274_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190814_002432931.jpg
    IMG_20190814_002432931.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190814_002436415.jpg
    IMG_20190814_002436415.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 19
What was your launch altitude, 8939 feet?
Wooooow, I'm surprised it flew at such an altitude?

Reactions: Chaos@ir
Last known position height is roughly 9,316 feet?
I'm showing a take off point at 8,939 feet?
That's some rough terrain.?
Lost Drone.jpg

Reactions: Chaos@ir
I'll try,
I'd be glad to have you review it.
Thanks Mr Carr.
Turn on the ST16, connect it to your computer using the USB charging cable, then look at file manager for the ST16. It will look like an addition drive with a weird name. Open both the telemetry folder and the remote folder. Copy the file with the highest number. That will be the last flight. This is what the directory structure looks like:

Files on ST16.jpg

Last flight telemetry

Attachments

• 0_RemoteGPS_00036.pdf
    53.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 0_Telemetry_00036.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 0_Remote_00036.pdf
    302.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online